What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cooking with Kief. What’s a good dosage?

Amynamous

I have a bunch of kief(~5 years worth). I’d like to use some and make a pie. I’ve scoured the net and have found an extremely wide range of dosages for cooking with kief. Does anyone cook with kief, and how much do you add per serving?

Also, since I will be baking the pie for an hour at 350 degrees, do i still need to decarb the kief first?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

MedFaced

I use around 1/2-1oz give or take per cup of butter/oil. I like my edibles very strong. If you want smaller portions of pie, use a larger amount. If you want to eat a lot, go minimal. Finding the sweet spot takes a bit a of experimentation.

I’ve been making edibles for over a decade and I never decarb shit unless it’s fresh material. I also bake everything at around 320 because that’s how I was thought and I’m too lazy to challenge what’s worked for me.

Amynamous

I use around 1/2-1oz give or take per cup of butter/oil. I like my edibles very strong. If you want smaller portions of pie, use a larger amount. If you want to eat a lot, go minimal. Finding the sweet spot takes a bit a of experimentation.

I’ve been making edibles for over a decade and I never decarb shit unless it’s fresh material. I also bake everything at around 320 because that’s how I was thought and I’m too lazy to challenge what’s worked for me.

Thanks, but when you say 1/2-1oz, are you referring to flower or kief?

MedFaced

Kief, hash. I like my meds very very strong. My wife will literally take one bite of a brownie and she’s in outer space. She doesn’t smoke, vape, but eats edibles daily. I dose them up into 1.5 sq inch brownies for myself and feel great for at least 4-6 hours. I make my meds strong because I don’t like to eat a lot of sweets in one sitting.

Amynamous

Kief, hash. I like my meds very very strong. My wife will literally take one bite of a brownie and she’s in outer space. She doesn’t smoke, vape, but eats edibles daily. I dose them up into 1.5 sq inch brownies for myself and feel great for at least 4-6 hours. I make my meds strong because I don’t like to eat a lot of sweets in one sitting.

Thanks. I appreciate your input. I was thinking 1 gram might be too much. haha
If Kief averages 40-50%thc, then 1gram would be ~ 400-500 milligrams. Divide by 8 slices, comes out to 50-62.5 milligrams per slice. To me, that seems like a lot. I’m probably a light weight. 😉

I can handle smoking/vaping too much, but edibles are a different story. I have a deep respect for edibles.

MedFaced

It’s always best to be conservative until you have your system dialed in. No one knows the self like the self. My wife seems to enjoy 50mg for casual and 100mg for sleepy knock out time. The best part is that your experiment will likely be delicious no matter what you choose! Besides, you can always add or take away later.

Be safe and have fun!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
:woohoo::woohoo:i make butter/cookies/brownies for friends, as i'm not into the feeling i get off edibles... i smoke just about everyday, but 1 bad experience with edibles that were tooo strong made me swear off em..

the problem i find is dosing em correctly... i use my own grown weed, but from one crop to another using the same weed...i take clones , some crops are better or worse then others, so to will be the edibles... i just made a batch of butter using 43grams of bud tops, 5grams of kif, n 5grams of hash n 1 stick... 4oz of unsalted butter... cooked it for 8hrs in a crock pot with a touch of cinnamon ...

as to u medfaced, all i can say is... w o w ... the amount you consume would kill the average human being...:woohoo:

Lyfespan

ugh last time i did this the butter really fucked with my throat, think quarter oz was too much for 4 stix butter

I have a bunch of kief(~5 years worth). I’d like to use some and make a pie. I’ve scoured the net and have found an extremely wide range of dosages for cooking with kief. Does anyone cook with kief, and how much do you add per serving?

Also, since I will be baking the pie for an hour at 350 degrees, do i still need to decarb the kief first?

Hey, Amynamous, I had family over for an infused dinner this past weekend, and it went really well with no one getting too messed up, although one sister and my wife were heavily effected. I'll share my experience.

I used kief, larf, and trim (larf and trim happened to be from a relatively low THC plant though, maybe 12-15% in the flowers) to make cannabutter with ghee, and then I substituted just a little infused ghee for a portion of the cannabutter requirements in the recipe.

I used the 'Herb' cookbook so the authors had done most of the dosing in the recipe for me, but I had to reduce the amount of cannabutter further because I wanted to have three dishes that were infused at about 3mg of THC per serving, not just one that would pack a stronger punch. No idea if I came close to 3mg per serving, but since no one melted into the couch but two non-frequent cannabis consumers got heavily effected, I feel like dosing was close, maybe on the lighter side. We also had a fourth dish -dessert- that used a bit higher than 1:1 CBD:THC butter, and it was an hour or so after dessert that those two got droopy eyes lol.

To make the butter though, I used one pound of ghee, two cups of water, one ounce of trim and larf, and one gram of 73 micron dry ice kief from a previous harvest. I decarbed the green material at 240°F for 30 minutes and the kief at 300°F for seven minutes, inside a little packet of foil. I let it cook for six hours before straining.

I hope that helps! Good luck with your pie!

Rico Swazi

I use a teaspoon to measure out my kief. My kitchen scale doesn't do mg, just grams and ounces, Two teaspoons of kief per loaf of banana bread (four total per recipe,) is where I found a good place to start for the people around me.

I believe the kief will be decarbed enough after a couple of years so no need there but I would incorporate it into the melted shortening, oil or whatever you use and not just sprinkle it in.

It can be a bit gritty depending on how it was obtained.

Start somewhere and if that doesn't take you where you want to go then add or eat more to titrate.
Slow and easy, overdosing on edibles can be uncomfortable

Good luck, have you tried baking with it yet?

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
I use 5 grams of kief to 4 sticks of butter. I'm told not to strong and not too weak although, Some dilute it, but everybody seems to like it.

picture.php
[/IMG]

Fuck it just dump it all in

Rico Swazi

fumble fingers nearly dumped it all out and not in :biggrin:

picture.php

Forgot to mention that adding sunflower lecithin will boost the bioavailability of the edibles.
still curious how you got along with it Amynamous

Rico Swazi

here is the pic showing me dickin around just prior to spilling it

picture.php

Made some kale chips (2 cups) with 1 tbsp coconut oil and a level teaspoon of the kief shown ,
325F 10-20 min (depending on crunch preferred) I go the full 20.
They were good

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1 to 1, kief to food.

On second thought, that might be too strong.

2 to 1, kief to food. :D

LucaRusso

hah but I use 5 grams of kief to 5 sticks of butter. Honestly yeah is not too strong and too weak, it is something between. In general I know that a lot of people think that 5 grams for 5 sticks is too strong but I know people who put more so it depends on people and their preferences. Guys if you are interested in blenders I recommend to check a good top with explanations on https://diligentchef.com/best-blender-for-green-smoothies/, I am sure a lot of you are amateurs of smoothies.

Latest posts

Latest posts