What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Enzyme discussion - DIY enzyme product

ICMaggotMe

What are the must have seeds for making enzyme tea? Barley, alfalfa, wheatgrass, and what else....

I use 2 row or 6 row malted barley grain. It eliminates the need to sprout your seeds prior to making a tea. Professional malting houses malt all types of grains for the beer brewing business and have the process down to a science.

Malted grains are sprouted then kiln dried to optimize enzyme production plus they are cheap. I can get 5# of 2 or 6 row for under 5 bucks and it will last me for 6 months plus.

If you find the right home brew store, you can get malted oats, wheat, spelt and other lesser known grains. They all will have the specific enzymes we seek for our organic living soils.

Take 2 oz of malted grain, put it in a coffee grinder and grind it to a powder. Add it to a 5 gallon bucket of water and bubble for 4-6 hours. I like to add 1 tbsp/ga of Ful-power to the enzyme tea prior to drenching.

I don't think alfalfa seeds come malted so if you want to use them, you'll need to sprout them. They contain a lot of saponins and can get foamy when bubbled but they also contain triacontanol and can give a hearty growth burst when used.

HTH

ICMM