What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Enzyme discussion - DIY enzyme product

snottyp

has anyone ever tried using kombucha to lower thier PH? not the actually littl blob but the tea from it? do you think its beasties would mess with the plants rhizosphere?

seebobski

jaykush the furmentation works good smells like mayhan mycrozime tsp per 5 gal bucket tea with wc,and molasses .

snottyp the kumbacha should be ok in small amounts and it does have a ph of 3-4 whitch is verry acidic so it would work to lowwer ph .it does have alot of bennies from it.I try to drink 2-5 drincks a week.I have used rejuvac in teas with no problems but have not done good solid testing yet.

sophisto

I was just thinking of what sort of other organic enzymes we could explore. Strangely enough I thought of papaya enzymes and also beano tabs ( I dont think they are organic)...What if these digestive enzymes were dissolved into a tea ???

HEre is some info about beano: (I am sure there is an organic substitute).....

"""""""Currently, Beano is the only over-the-counter natural dietary supplement brand that contains the missing enzyme called alpha-galactosidase. This enzyme works with the body's digestive system to break down the complex sugars in gas-causing foods, making them more digestible, ultimately helping to prevent CCI symptoms before they start."""""""

Some info on papaya enzymes:

"""""""Papain acts to thoroughly digest protein, and frees amino acids for quick absorption. It works in acid, alkaline, or neutral environments, and is especially valuable for the aged or anyone who has weak digestion due to enzyme deficiencies. Papaya is the only known source of papain. The fruit also contains chymonpapain, an even stronger protein-digesting enzyme.

These enzymes dissipate as the fruit ripens, and they are not present in fully ripe papaya. Therefore, our organic papaya powder is made from fruits that are picked green, before they lose their enzymatic value.

Other phytonutrients in green papaya help create a healthier intestinal tract by restoring proper intestinal flora. Carpaine, an alkaloid found in green papaya, reportedly has antibacterial properties that neutralize many types of harmful bacteria and parasites. The enzymes in papaya can also enhance carbohydrate and fat digestion.

Evidence suggests that raising one's digestive enzyme levels can strengthen the immune system. Papaya enzymes also have the ability to penetrate the tissues and help dissolve injured and hardened tissues, and thus may help alleviate hardening of the arteries.

Green papaya powder is also an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C, and E, B factors, potassium, and magnesium.""""""""

I know these are mostly for human digestion and helping to beakdown proteins and carbs but isnt that what we use them for with our plants as well ?????

Just some "food" for thought...........

Dee9

Aspergillus oryzae

Aspergillus oryzae

I was just thinking of what sort of other organic enzymes we could explore. Strangely enough I thought of papaya enzymes and also beano tabs ( I dont think they are organic)...What if these digestive enzymes were dissolved into a tea ???

I used some digestive enzymes (derived from Aspergillus oryzae) in a guano tea with molasse.

After a few days of aerating it, white lumps bobbled around in the tea.

I gave some to my plant - 1/2 strength and the plant looks very good.

When I use the same tea recipe, without the digestive enzymes, the white blobs do not appear.

ThaiPhoon

Forgot about this thread...I made a thread about garbage enzymes. I can say that these enzymes used @ 1:100 keep spider mites away! Plants love it too. I made Tomato enzyme for drinking and use the dry/powdered residues in regular waterings. Good stuff for sure!

marali

Which method is "the best" for making rejuvelac? One where you don't rinse or the one where you soak and rinse and let it to it's job? I'm more into the first one. Which do you guys prefer?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
maybe I'm wrong in sayingthis, but somone had a test as well as I did my own test on hydrozyme , it says is brakes down dead root material as does alot of people who use hydro systems to clean out there roots in hydroton

well basically we put dead root material in a cup and added hydrozyme, but i thought no roots looked to be braking down. so its funny they have no pictures on there website of stages of hydrozyme breaking down dead root material ..

but maybe I'm wrong and its not for breaking down to the point where you can visually see it ??

W

Weedman Herb

I don't know about the product you speak of ... I've seen (in use) cannazyme and use Sensizym ... I have some root masses (we'll call them Aged HeHeHe) hanging around and a new liter of Sensizym ... is anyone up for a Not So Clinical Trial ? Remember the enzymes help break down the dead roots before they have a chance to rot and other beneficials join the feast ... this takes time and might not change the appearance of said roots Overnight ... if you're expecting a zinc in a hydrochloric acid bath type of reaction you might be disappointed.

I have dead roots in Sensizym solution at 5 ml per Liter (what I use it at and what AN suggests ... a first with an AN product ... but keep in mind Sensizym is the only AN crew member still welcome in my hood) ... Call it Day 1

W

Weedman Herb

The roots
The vessel
The stuff
All together
Top shot So after the trapped air bubbles dissipated we have small bubbles forming possibly indicating biological activity. I'll try and get some better pics tomorrow ... I'm in the middle of building a new 4 X 4 X 7 ...

W

Weedman Herb

Hmmm ... this post is #72 and my last post is #70 ... I wonder what used to be In Between them??? ... If nobody is interested I'll STFU and stop taking pics. I will know if the enzymes are worth their weight ... that's all that really matters ... (as Herb shambles off to find entertainment elsewhere)

avantgardner

Barley Wine

Barley Wine

Yeah.. Barley wine, that was exactly what my first impression gave me. Maybe not so much wine, I don't detect alot of alcohol, but there is a faint smell. Would love just to put some barley in a pantyhose and make some barley bombs for my DWC, What do you guys think?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i use rejuvelac all the time. works great as a foliar. i use about 1 part rejuvelac to 4 parts water for soil drench or 1:10 for foliars.

thx for the info Jay. Do you use the Rye rejuvelac? I have read that it can be made from various grains or even cabbage?! How often do you use it as either soil drench or foliar? Is it just regular maintenance or are you using the rejuvelac to remedy a problem? I have some Rye berries left over from a mycology project and might see if they will sprout... I have done a lot of sprouting in the past, but never spouted rye.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no its not rye, its wheat. mostly a byproduct of my making wheatgrass for personal consumption, or extra seeds. i dont apply on any schedule, or for any particular reason really. just when i feel like it or remember. i definitely do not use it to fix a problem. i would say start with every other week. i also add it to compost teas.

herbalpurple

wow so enzymes are everywhere! I Like adding mangos to my teas as well as bannanas for flower. I have even added yogurt but I was at the local drug store and they had an enzyme/bateria supplement and it contained around ten of theese enzymes. I am sure it had pineapple extract, mango extract and many of the others noted in this post. It was 15 bucks for 60 capsules. I could spend like 15 bucks on fresh fruit in a month making teas but I am sur that the fresh fruit is more active but who knows as the capsules may be very concentrated but i doubt it. When I add the fruit to my teas they provide carbs continously acting as food for my fungi and bacteria.Where as the mollases and karo seem to run out quickly and the beasties die. The fruits are very good for the teas and the flavor of my nugs.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to use cannazyme but love the idea of producing all my own ferts and additives.

Having a bash at a pineapple ferment (half a very ripe fruit cut into cubes) with added ginger syrup, aloe vera, manuka honey and organic soy sauce (which i figure is already fermented with wheat and soy beans)

Will chuck in a bit of pond water and do the fpe with molasses and EM1.

Should be interesting :D