What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Worming 101

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
anyone else think that coco makes the best bedding material as it is perfect for high aerobic conditions. I figure making the worms happy makes for better quality casting, faster.

I'm in!

I'm in!

Wow- a bit of googlefu show there' a lot of vermi-composting programs.....so I'm gonna give it a shot....
If it works, I can turn my rootballs and waste into organic fish food! :headbange

Last edited:
I placed a call to my worm broker, and he'll be making a drop of 1 pound of pure red wigglin goodness on Sunday night...
But Here's the one from last week.. I only had about 100 or so. Cardboard, newsprint and peat, with some eggshells, coffee grounds, banana peels, avocado skins and some stems and leaves.

Last edited:

MrFista

Veteran
I just got a cupful of red wrigglers out of my compost bin. I've been trying to lure good numbers in there as the store wants $47.95 for 500 grams.

I don't know how much a cupful is but in the worm bin it looks like plenty to start with.

I tried all sorts of things to lure em in but in summer the black soldier flies ate all the food before worms could get to it.

Now that it's winter the heaps cooled enough that slaters and worms are doing the bulk of the composting. Still wasn't able to grab numbers of them though, then I added a sackful of paper plates and cups with some coffee grounds. 2-3 weeks later there's so many wrigglers I was able to remove a cupful from the top layer of the bin in about 15 minutes.

Smurf

stoke this joint
ICMag Donor
Veteran
G33k Speak said:
I placed a call to my work broker, and he'll be making a drop of 1 pound of pure red wigglin goodness on Sunday night...
But Here's the one from last week.. I only had about 100 or so. Cardboard, newsprint and peat, with some eggshells, coffee grounds, banana peels, avocado skins and some stems and leaves.
:yes: That will be a good N, Ca & K compost when finished, especially in the K department.

MrFista

Veteran
Here's a permaculture idea for worms that I really like.

Worms distribute the castings for you. And you can water the garden nice and deep.

Worm Tower

I'm going to keep encouraging the compost to breed worms while it's still winter see if I can't get a couple more cupfuls and put a couple of these worm towers out in my veggie patch as well as make castings in my new worm farm.

I don't see why you couldn't make similar with a 5 gallon bucket, just cut the bottom off, drill it, bury a bit, fill it, lid on... White bucket is maybe better or heat could be an issue. But it is of course lighter... How heat tolerant are red wrigglers?

Old Terra Cotta would probably work too just got to take care in the drilling stage.

Paintjob optional :laughing:

quadracer

I got my wormbin going perpetual now!

Every time I harvest the lower bin (3 bin system, Can O' Worms), I'll pick the worms out of the castings and use them to start a new bin. There are still plenty of worms left, and even the castings will have worms hatching for months after.

Now I have a bin at work, at home, at my parents house, and at a friends house.

Spread the love, share some worms!

b52

quadracer said:
I got my wormbin going perpetual now!

Every time I harvest the lower bin (3 bin system, Can O' Worms), I'll pick the worms out of the castings and use them to start a new bin. There are still plenty of worms left, and even the castings will have worms hatching for months after.

Now I have a bin at work, at home, at my parents house, and at a friends house.

Spread the love, share some worms!

Well.... gaaaawd dam son.....aint that some shit....

LOL

Well, after going back and re-reading this thread...I'll throw my two cents in the pile.
First off, I started my first worm bin with a half pound of red wrigglers in an 18 gal rubbermaid with tiny holes drilled in the lid. After a day of fishing I decided "what the hell" and threw the leftover nightcrawlers in the bin. After a couple months it was obvious they multiplied...they do tend to like the bottom of the bin opposed to wrigglers which like the top.
Nowadays everytime I see a worm it goes in one of 3 bins I've got going...couldn't even count how many species I have in there...I even tell friends to bring me a couple worms from the backyard before they come to visit.
Anyhow, I don't bother picking the worms out of the castings. All my indoor container plants have worms living in the soil and all my soil lying around for the next cycle is chock full of worms....with no lids. My worm bins are inside....so where are the worms going to escape too....I've already provided them a great environment.

So yes worms will live in your indoor soil mixes...and yes it's okay to use other species of worms than red wrigglers...although I do recommend having them in your bin because of how fast they reproduce and how voracious they are...but I say the more worms the marrier....I think science calls it biodiversity.
Peace
Rocky

only thing i don't like about worms in indoor soil mixes is the castings that they like to poop out of the drainage holes at the bottom. makes things messy. other than that, i think they are better to have in your containers so they can help aerate your soil and eat all the old roots.

quadracer

rckymtnthuglife said:
Well, after going back and re-reading this thread...I'll throw my two cents in the pile.
First off, I started my first worm bin with a half pound of red wrigglers in an 18 gal rubbermaid with tiny holes drilled in the lid. After a day of fishing I decided "what the hell" and threw the leftover nightcrawlers in the bin. After a couple months it was obvious they multiplied...they do tend to like the bottom of the bin opposed to wrigglers which like the top.
Nowadays everytime I see a worm it goes in one of 3 bins I've got going...couldn't even count how many species I have in there...I even tell friends to bring me a couple worms from the backyard before they come to visit.
Anyhow, I don't bother picking the worms out of the castings. All my indoor container plants have worms living in the soil and all my soil lying around for the next cycle is chock full of worms....with no lids. My worm bins are inside....so where are the worms going to escape too....I've already provided them a great environment.

So yes worms will live in your indoor soil mixes...and yes it's okay to use other species of worms than red wrigglers...although I do recommend having them in your bin because of how fast they reproduce and how voracious they are...but I say the more worms the marrier....I think science calls it biodiversity.
Peace
Rocky

True that. It's also good to trade worms with another worm farmer. Genetic diversity is our friend!!!

I like to collect worms when it rains. I go around with a flathead screwdriver (makes picking worms up a cinch) with a dish and scoop them from the little rain streams.

Last time they all were put in my comfrey bed. I must have collected over 50!

emmy75

Thanks Suby for all the information uve posted. im going to get started on my worm bin immediately so by my next grow i will have nice fresh compost and my own worm castings.

vermipro is a company located where i live. they sell worms, bins and bedding for the worms. they have bundle prices but i just wanna get the worms and bedding.

i read the how to build a worm bin but im wondering if anyone here has done multiple level bins. obviously the link to overgrow is no good and well im the kinda gal who needs instructions when building.

edit: well i read that wood is better than plastic and environmentally better too so i found this website and this is what i want to build.

how cute is this worm composting bin

http://www.woodwormfarms.com/

i still need help though :bashhead:

Last edited:

MrFista

Veteran
Hi folks.

I just collected easily 4 lbs of worms yesterday from my compost bin. Most are red wrigglers.

So I made a bin and am scared they'll try escape. Why, I don't know, I'm not a worm (till I drink tequila).

I have a 2 inch thick base, 2 inches up there is nylon mesh. The worms can get in and out of this mesh if they try, the edges are suspended 2 inches, the centre touches ground. Will they all run away? The farm is about 9 sq ft.

The farm itself is only 5 inches high above the mesh, I'll extrend it to 7 1/2" today. And a lid.

So it's a box, no base but a screen there. Thousands of worms.

Bedding is wet newspaper scraps (wet for several days in kelp water), leaf litter, previous bedding from a smaller bin, and I fed about 2 kilos of both coffee grounds and veggie scraps/eggshells on one side.

How else should I settle them in? Soft music?

This is two hundred dollars worth of worms at market value. I really hope my new condo I built them works. In a nice shady spot too.

If you want a shitload of free worms yourself....

A compost bin that has a constant input of food scraps will begin to collect worms. Over the course of one temperate winter I have collected masses of worms from the top layers. Straw layers underneath and above the food are used as bedding. When a couple of kilos of food is gone in a week, you either have masses of worms, or black soldier flies (or rats!).

It is too cool yet for soldier flies so I went digging. Oh boy!

Build it, they will come.

Built a new one, will they stay?

MrFista

Veteran
I just went and added a base. They can get out if they're determined, but nowhere near so easy.

I spread some castings on a garden plot and went to get leaf litter -hullo, hundreds more worms. I added some paper cups under the leaf pile, worm metropolis.

So even easier to get a shitload of worms, get some organic paper cups from a cafe, cover in a pile of leaves. Add a sprinkling of blood and bone. Cover to protect from rain, keep damp with a sprinkling of water every month or so. Leave over winter till mid spring. Tadaa - worms!

The compost bin had a lot more, but it took a lot of scraps to build the numbers up to critical mass where I'm picking up a dirt handful (feels too soft).... examine, 90% worms.

MrFista

Veteran
Forgot to mention. you can add chitin (crab shell, locust, cicada, preying mantis shells) to your worms and they will select for fungi and microbes that break it down.

The end result is you have castings containing fungi that kill larval stages of insects in the soil. This is patented, but doesn't stop the home gardener from doing it themselves.

If you use crab or lobster shell make sure you get all the meat out first, then crush up fine, and add.