What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Kind of Rosin Press Are You Using?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have built 4 or 5 rosin presses since it first 'came out'. Starting with the hair straightener and then to HMK's version and then on to ceramic mold heaters and on and on.

Well, last week I actually bought a set of plates and I am fucking thrilled.

I'm not sure if I can mention a product from someone who is not a sponsor so if I'm out of line, a mod can delete the name or the entire thread if it's that far out of line.

The plates are made by a company called DabPress. No, my Mom doesn't own the company and I don't have any ties but I was so impressed with these I just wanted to share.

I got the 3x7 caged model and it was awesome. No assembly required. Just slip the caged unit in the press and... start pressing. Nice PID box but I don't know anything about PID so take it with a grain of salt.

I may downsize to the 3x5 model because this model presses about 10g to 1/2 an ounce at a time and that's a tiny bit to much for me. My last press I built was a 3" and it was a tad too small.

This is my first experience with store bought plates so maybe I am just thrilled because they are so much nicer than anything I have had so far.

I also got a considerably better return with these plates. I have no idea why yet.

I think the company is out of Germany but orders are fulfilled through Amazon so I had my press 2 days after ordering it. I love Amazon.

I know a lot of people here used home made presses for a while and then, maybe switched to factory made plates. Was the difference this extreme for you?

I am just curious if my home made plates were that bad... or, these plates are that good. LOL

Anyway, I just got these a few days ago and I was so thrilled I just wanted to share the news. If this is out of line as far as cheap promotion, sorry and I will understand if a mod deletes it.

Still, I am a tough customer and I don't usually have a lot of nice to say about anything or anyone so when I get great customer service AND a good product, I feel compelled to shout out.

Any other brands that you fellow pressers feel is a great setup? I might get another smaller set from someone else if I liked the way it looks. LOL

Thanks again DabPress for a great product. Here is the model I bought....

Attachments

• dp-rp37-anodized-rosin-press-cage-cube-kit-rosin-press-build-hydraulic-rosin-press-kit-well-buil.jpg
    dp-rp37-anodized-rosin-press-cage-cube-kit-rosin-press-build-hydraulic-rosin-press-kit-well-buil.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 27

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
TimeWizard GreyFox made the 3x5 collar mount I use. I was going to use him or someone else for a set of caged. Makes great plates but not so great on communication.

What hydraulic press did you get?

Look up burrito technique. Smaller pucks and using the parchment to direct flow out the back and front.

Did you get a preform?

bloyd

Veteran
I got the 3x5 caged plates from dabpress as well and can't say enough how satisfied I am with them. Perfect alignment, pid is perfectly accurate when compared to type k thermocouple, anodized plates make for easy cleaning/recovery if you get bleed through.

Mine came 3 day shipped from china and they gave me a free pre press and tool kit. $300 total steal when compared to others on the market.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I am using a cheapo HF 12 ton press right now. When I got the plates, they wouldn't fit in my benchtop so I ran out to HF and bought this one. I will get a better one later. The 3x7 presses are rated at 20 tons and I believe the 3x5 are rated at 12 tons. I simply didn't have room for the 20 ton so I got this one. Besides, I think anything over 10 tons is wasted anyway. Even on my 5 ton press my pucks could not POSSIBLY have been any flatter. LOL They were paper thin as it was.

I used the 'burrito' method on my last press. Actually, the plates were round so it was more like a starburst than a burrito. LOL

I did not get a pre-press with mine. I think they were round and I can't figure people with this round peg in a square hole deal. I use round pucks with round plates, square pucks with square plates and rectangle pucks with rectangle plates. I am way to logical to do it any other way. LOL I just made a 1x5 press moments ago. I'll try that and if it squirts out the edge, I'll cut it down to 1x4 which I think will be perfect for 10 gram pucks.

I will let you know momentarily. :)

EsterEssence

Veteran
Drip tech, not sure about posting the name of the company, but if you have been in the rosin thread much you know...

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Wow, I just received my free dab tool kit (I believe they are free for any press purchase for a limited time).

This is a total must have for heavy rosin users. I always have several flavors of rosin around and this 'full size' rosin kit is just what the doctor ordered..... and it was free. I'm a pretty fucking happy camper right about now.

Fucking awesome...

https://www.dabpress.com/products/dp-dt1-dab-tools

Giving out these incredible gifts and big discounts can't last. They are either going to hit big .... or go broke. LOL I hope they make it. I'm pretty darn happy with mine so far. And..... I hate everything. LOL

Attachments

• dt-1_1024x1024.jpg
    dt-1_1024x1024.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 21

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Well, just for shits and giggles, I put the micrometer on some chips today and I was amazed. Every single one is exactly 0.030". Edge to edge and chip to chip. Within a hundredth across the board. LOL That is some pretty square plates. I am more and more impressed with this press every day.

I have some older chips from my last press. I'll check them as well.

So, anyone else put a mic or calipers on their chips? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with OCD around here. LOL

And, actually, it was spurred by a conversation about how much pressure is too much. I can get chips just this flat with a 5 ton press. The chips I measured were pressed with a 12 ton and max pressure.

Unless you're pressing more than 1/2 ounce or an ounce, more than a few tons is overkill (IME). I can see these people pressing quarter pounds and all needing more pressure but for the personal user pressing nugs and 2 to 7 gram pucks....

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Oh shit... you busted me. OK, my Mom really does own the company. But she's real old and she needs an operation and we can't afford it. LMAO

Damn, say something bad, some dick calls you a troll. Say something nice and a weird guy calls you a salesman.

And, dude, your fucking avatar is fucking creepy. That person definitely molests collies.