What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what seeds should I start?

djimb

Veteran
Damn, what a selection of males to revitalize some tired old elites if you wanted. Real durban has to be my favorite high ever too...

If I had tired old elite cuts, I'd give it a shot. Unfortunately I've been out of the game for a couple years, so I haven't kept any clones.

I'm partial to landraces and worked seed lines though, and that's really my goal here. Of course before I go making crosses, I want to get to know each strain to figure out what will complement what, and then after bulking up the seedlines, I can start making parental selections and go from there. It's a long road, but It's going to to be fun!

djimb

Veteran
It would be a treat to see the Laos grown. That gene pool should have some very nice highs in it.

This seems like the general consensus. I'll squeeze a couple in for sure. I wanted to keep it to 10 plants to keep things from getting too crowded, but I can always build bigger.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
I'm getting ready to start seeds in my new location, most likely in May, and I'm trying to decide what strains I should grow.

I want to limit it to about 10 plants, and ~5 of them in the first run will be Dave Coullier's Afropips Durban repro testers.

My plan is to do small seed runs with half packs of 5 or so seeds in open pollination, then run the other half pack and finally do a SOG run with seed from both halves to try to maintain diversity in the gene pool.

Along side the half pack seed runs, I want to do some of the shorter flowering varieties I have, with maybe another long one to get a feel for what to expect when I get to them for their own
seed runs.

So what should I run along with the Durbans?

Here's what I've got in the fridge:

10x Auto AK-47 ~9-10w
20x Leb27 ~6 weeks
10x Guerrilla gold #3 ~early sept.
40x Raspberry Kush ~8-9w (bagseed)
20x Flo ~8-10w
10x GDP ~8-10w
2x UW S1 or UW x Colombian (accidental from my last grow)
10x Natural mystic ~8-10w
20x Baglung Nepali ~8-10 weeks
10x Starfighter x Longbottom Leaf ~9w
5x GSC ~9w (bagseed)
10x Blubonic ~10 weeks
10x Zippolite Oaxaca ~8-12w
10x GDP x NYCD ~10-12w
10x Skunk Haze ~10-12w
10x Nirvana Maui Wowie ~10-12w
3x Ace Purple Malawi x Colombian ~12-14w (pollination with poorly stored Colombian pollen)
10x Coljam ~12-14w
10x Acapulco Gold ~14-16w
80x Hmong Thai ~14-16w
40x Hmong Thai x Highland Laos ~14-16
10x K1 Zamal ~ 16-18w
40x GN Laos ~20-24 weeks

Thanks!

Now if that is UW COLUMBIAN that could be game changer next level potential!!!!! I have sumthin similar planned for UW but That alone would make me pop them and at worst u end up with a UW s1 which could be interesting as well but UW COLUMBIA sounds incredible

CaptainDankness

I got to say that Laos sounds interesting with the 20-24 weeks a bit of a long time for my liking but definitely the most interesting.

Other than that, all of the above.

djimb

Veteran
So there won't be a grow show this year?

Unfortunately, not an indoor one. The full story is this:

My wife was always been supportive of my growing in the past. She was fine with the idea of growing a plant that never flowered on a balcony in Quito, risking deportation or time in an Ecuadorian jail; she was fine with me smuggling seeds back when we came home; and she was fine with me growing in the garage of our rental when we lived in a legal state. I even made it clear that I intended to keep growing after we moved to where we live now, and she was fine with that idea, too.

Our plan when we moved was to buy a house within a year and I figured I'd be growing there, but things changed. We're parents now. We're still renting.

I asked her a few months ago when she'd be comfortable with me starting a grow, and she told me I could start in May after we came back from vacation. I started this thread in anticipation of that. While we were away, I started talking about it. We were in Costa Rica, and I hinted at the possibility of scoring some weed and hoping there were seeds in the bag to take home. She shut me down. She told me she wanted me to wait til September or October to start my grow. We argued about it and it came out that she's not comfortable with the idea now that we're parents. She worked in a family law office for a while and saw a lot of families dealing with CPS. She's worried about the possibility of an emergency during which the landlord enters without notice, or the possibility of someone smelling it or noticing lights at weird times of night, or fires, or whatever. She's worried about losing the kids.

I've got to say that it made me rethink a lot of things, including my marriage. To be honest, if I wasn't a father and she was putting her foot down like this, I'd just move back to Oregon by myself and pick up where I left off. But if she weren't a mother, she'd be ok with me growing, and we wouldn't have an issue. I hate saying that I'm still not sure whether my family or my passion for cannabis is more important to me, but I'm still weighing my options. For now, I've chosen to stay. We've been talking about moving to a legal or medical state that allows home grows when we're ready to buy a house.

Right now, I'm trying to find the middle road. My wife has said that she's ok with me growing as long as it isn't in the house, so for this year, I'm trying to scout some late season guerilla plots to at least try to grow out the seeds that folks have so generously shared with me, so that I can share the experience with all of you.

Next year, assuming the law here hasn't changed and we don't own a house, I'll be looking into the possibility of renting a work/creative space that I could ostensibly use for software development (with a few cheap servers to justify the electric bill) and bike work (which would require a locked tool cabinet).
The other possibility, of course, is that my marriage falls apart, in which case, I'll be moving back to Oregon or Washington and renewing my medical certification.

djimb

Veteran
Now if that is UW COLUMBIAN that could be game changer next level potential!!!!! I have sumthin similar planned for UW but That alone would make me pop them and at worst u end up with a UW s1 which could be interesting as well but UW COLUMBIA sounds incredible

I'm really excited about that possibility, too! I want to wait until I have a tested, proven space to grow in though. I only have a couple of those and I'd hate to lose them because I was over eager. When I do pop them, I'll also start the Malawi x Colombians and stock up on colloidal silver or STS reagents to make sure I can bulk up my stock of both seed lines and make a cross as well. I really love the idea of (UW x Colombian) x (Malawi x Colombian).

If they are UW S1s, I have USC ColJam, which is 75% Colombian Gold, so I could still make something similar.

djimb

Veteran
I got to say that Laos sounds interesting with the 20-24 weeks a bit of a long time for my liking but definitely the most interesting.

Other than that, all of the above.

Ya, I'm tempted to try to throw 3-5 Laos outdoor for a guerilla seed run, but I don't even know if they'd be done making seed by the time it got too cold. I guess it's worth a shot. I've got plenty.

Easy7

Veteran
If it were me, I'd forget about trying to preserve the gene pool stash. That gets complicated all to quick. It requires a lot of extra work and has more risks. Unless you plan on being another breeder.

I know, seed lines falling short of reaching the future are sad. Honestly, unless large gene pools can be selected from it becomes it's own line.

If you do go ahead and run for seeds, remember they don't have to be huge plants. Even little plants can make a lot of seed. I'd go for more smoke.

djimb

Veteran
I realize that starting with a population of 10 in the case of a lot of these lines is already a pretty extreme bottleneck, and that keeping lines pure would be essentially working toward my own IBLs. That's ok with me, though. I figure most of these are still available, and if I really love a line, but want a greater genetic diversity to work with, I can find a way to get more.

Ultimately, I'll be making crosses, but I want to get to know the lines first and start with larger populations than a 1 to 1 cross of two special plants. That's where open pollination comes in.

I draw my inspiration for these projects from folks on here like thejact55, who seems to have similar interests and goals, but has a seed collection that dwarfs my own, and Dave Coullier, who has done some amazing work with crosses of small populations of his Afropips Durban, GN Thai, Mr. Nice Shit, and a handful of other really intriguing lines.

Re: being another breeder, it's not something I'm opposed to, should I find myself with the time and a conducive legal climate. If I could sell a few packs here and there to help cover my costs, I'd be happy. If not, I'd be closer to broke, but still happy.

Ronni

i think its best to step back from growing until the kid reaches puberty. then you can start again since you will need a toke from time to time ;-)
but if you proceed i'd go with the Acapulco gold and the Oxacan and make a fine cross of both. :)

Easy7

Veteran
Doing something worthwile means doing it well. Nature does fairly well at passing on lot's of options. Making beans can get overwhelming fast. Stepping back and not getting attached is highly advised in certain legal climates. That's one plus of outdoor. It's impossible to totally distance from indoor grows. Just try not to but all your beans in one spot and it really ups the chances of success.

djimb

Veteran
i think its best to step back from growing until the kid reaches puberty. then you can start again since you will need a toke from time to time ;-)
but if you proceed i'd go with the Acapulco gold and the Oxacan and make a fine cross of both. :)

Right now, I'm staying home while I finish up a degree. I could use a toke or two now. Also, I figure teenagers are perceptive. They'd notice something was up. I'd rather it just be that dad's weird sometimes and always has been.

Besdes, waiting a decade and a half sounds painful to me. It's already been 2 years since my last grow and that feels like too long. I would also worry about the viability of seed that old. All the more reason to bulk up my stock.

I do like the idea of reintroducing landrace Mexican genes to the zippolite oaxacan. I've promised to grow out Dave's Durban and the PNG, though, so those take priority. That's another reason for wanting to get a grow in this year. I gave my word.

Still, it would make sense to plant out a shorter flowering variety or two. I was planning on running Flo somewhere, but maybe I'll toss in a couple zippys as well.

djimb

Veteran
Doing something worthwile means doing it well. Nature does fairly well at passing on lot's of options. Making beans can get overwhelming fast. Stepping back and not getting attached is highly advised in certain legal climates. That's one plus of outdoor. It's impossible to totally distance from indoor grows. Just try not to but all your beans in one spot and it really ups the chances of success.

For seed making, I'm hoping to catch any males before they fully bloom so that I can make a few controlled pollinations. I know I don't need thousands of seeds. A couple hundred for each variety would be more than enough to dig through when I'm able to grow in a more controlled environment.

I do like the low maintenance, ability to check on things by going for a hike, and the plausible deniability offered by guerilla grows. I could be an amateur bird watcher traipsing through the woods with a camera (just make sure to swap out the sd card with one that has actual pictures of actual birds). Alternatively, I could volunteer with the nature conservancy and claim I'm looking for and removing invasive plants, which is actually more believable given my background in horticulture.

Easy7

Veteran
Males can be chopped down to a few flowering parts. It takes very little then you can hand brush some lower buds. Some like to seed half a cola for some reason. Me, I like to leave the good top buds and seed a lower flower or two.

I've had males very close to females and still able to control pollination. Just don't let the males get huge and the pollen isn't enough to go all wild and crazy. Only problem outdoors with that is rain during the pollen.

I’d grow the GSC bagseed. For an Indica and because it’s most likely a selfed seed and will probably be really close to GSC.

I’d also pick a Sativa, but idk which one from your list of seeds.

Also, make F2s and cross them together.

djimb

Veteran
Hey, chuck! Thanks for the input!

I like your idea of crossing the GSC to one of the landraces. It would definitely reintroduce some needed vigor.

Those were some of the first seeds I got a hold of, from a buddy at work. I started two of them at the same time as the Deadhead OG bagseed I got from another work buddy. Those two plants were slooooow. They had practically no vigor, and one of them just grew a little ball of tiny, crinkly leaves and say there, four inches tall, for over a month. I ended up giving up on them when I got some cuttings of a Durban Poison plant from the same buddy that gave me the OG.

I know they were the result of a plant throwing nanners, and I wonder if that plant might also have been from bag seed, making the seeds I have S2s. I am interested in seeing what's in there, but they'll probably need to be babied. I don't think they'd be able to hold up to the stresses of a wild outdoor setting.

I have been thinking about the blubonic or one of the GDP crosses. But then There's the Leb27 and the Nepali...

Too many choices on the indy/hybrid/quick flowering side, too...