What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Generic Terpenators Operating Manual

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Best way to measure torque on a NPT fitting when tightening it? I know of using a torque wrench on bolts, but how would one do that with a fitting?

An inch pound torque wrench, with a 5/8" socket, as the torque specifications that I gave, were for the two bolt high pressure clamps.

Hinged clamps are meant to be hand tight and are unsuitable for subzero application or above around 2" in our application.

pharmco

Oh that I understand, I have a inch lb torque wrench for my high pressure clamps because I use PTFE and Tuf-Steel (have 1.5 and 3" and 6" ones)

What I'm wondering about are the measurements for NPT fittings, like that a 1/4 fitting should be torqued to .0 25 ft/lbs.

I'm pretty sure I can't do that with my torque wrench. I've had good success sealing NPT connections, but it would satisfy my OCD nature to be even more exact about it.

Pangea

Veteran
Thanks for the responses everyone!

@greywolf, looking forward to the swap instructions.

Im am a little confused with your vac pump exhaust, is that the single stage pump? The garden hose in your pic is where my oil fill port is, and the smaller diameter metal hose you have coming out beside it seems to be the breather, I have the cps 6cfm dual stage.

@Permaculture, so just to clarify even further, you only recover you columns to -10 before swapping?

@pharmco, I go by the recommended rotations, which is 1.5 - 3 rotations after finger tight.

Oh that I understand, I have a inch lb torque wrench for my high pressure clamps because I use PTFE and Tuf-Steel (have 1.5 and 3" and 6" ones)

What I'm wondering about are the measurements for NPT fittings, like that a 1/4 fitting should be torqued to .0 25 ft/lbs.

I'm pretty sure I can't do that with my torque wrench. I've had good success sealing NPT connections, but it would satisfy my OCD nature to be even more exact about it.

You can put and open ended "crowfoot" type of socket fitting on the torque wrench. The issue is you will change the center of where the torque is applied. Effectively you are making the torque wrench longer. You will need to measure how much longer your new center is and do the math.

I suggest looking at how to calibrate a torque wrench at home for the math on the longer length. Youtube has some good videos.

Permacultuure

Veteran
Pangea - yeah we sacrifice gas because of it. Ideally you'd have a heated column and just isolate top n bottom and recover further.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Torque on NPT fittings is only a reference. Here is a good guide on tightening NPT fittings:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/images/techhelp/NPT.pdf

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the responses everyone!

@greywolf, looking forward to the swap instructions.

Im am a little confused with your vac pump exhaust, is that the single stage pump? The garden hose in your pic is where my oil fill port is, and the smaller diameter metal hose you have coming out beside it seems to be the breather, I have the cps 6cfm dual stage.

@Permaculture, so just to clarify even further, you only recover you columns to -10 before swapping?

@pharmco, I go by the recommended rotations, which is 1.5 - 3 rotations after finger tight.

That is a CPS VP6S single stage vacuum pump.

Nssknight

Can't find 3/8 npt x 3/8 flare ss fitting? The problem is the 3/8 flare side seems smaller , the 3/8 hose does not fit on it! Could anybody shed some information about this! This is the last fitting I have to change to ss. The brass fitting of the same sizes fits perfectly! I don't understand? Thanks

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The brass is probably 3/8" X 45 degree SAE and the stainless 3/8" X 37 degree JIC

flatslabs

The answer has been posted. JIC and SAE flare threading is not compatible in 3/8" size. It is in certain other sizes, namely 1/4".

Check your fittings and hoses, you need to decide on a standard and adapt where necessary.
http://brennaninc.com/documents/BrennanThreadChart.pdf

Look at the chart above and reference the lines "JIC 37-Flare Thread" and "SAE 45-Flare Thread", if the numbers match then they are compatible.
You can see for 1/4 they are, but 3/8 they are not.

For instance I use all JIC hoses and fittings everywhere. The only place I need to adapt is from 3/8 JIC to 1/4" Flare to connect up to the filter drier before the pump.

Nssknight

This fitting connects the dump valve to the recovery pump does it greatly effect the final product if I leave it brass ? Is brass and butane a bad combination.(toxically) Thanks for any replies.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Column changes on a Terpenator.

Column changes on a Terpenator.

It may be desirable to run more than one column before changing the lower pot, and the Terpenator system designs who followed my lead, will typically accommodate running multiple columns before changing the lower pot.

I am starting to see enormous columns on small lower collection pots, which presents problems beyond the scope of how to change a column, so I will address it separately.

Oleoresin yield per column load varies considerably, ranging from poor trim to kif, so the number of columns you can run before changing the lower pot varies.

The way you change the columns during an extraction run, depends on the configuration Terpenator that you are running, but those following my lead are equipped with a 1/2" port on the lower injection tee, which allows the column to be recovered, and vacuumed separately from the lower tank.

That is accomplished by:

1.0 Pumping the system down to around -12 to -15" Hg using the recovery pump, with the dump valve open, and then closing the dump and vent valve, so that the column is isolated from the lower collection tank.

2.0 Open the column recovery valve and close the pot recovery valve.

3.0 Turn on column heat to 150F.

4.0 Pump column down to -22" Hg.

5.0 Close column recovery valve.

6.0 Shut off recovery pump.

7.0 Open nitrogen valve and back fill valve until the pressure rises to zero gauge.

8.0 Start high vacuum pump.

9.0 Open column vacuum isolation valve.

10.0 Evacuate column to -29".

11.0 Backfill with nitrogen to zero gauge.

12.0 Remove top high pressure clamp, and secure lid.

13.0 Remove lower high pressure clamp and remove column.

14.0 Inspect injector tee assembly to insure it is debris free and install a clean screen gasket.

15.0 Remove top cap from column and rotate 180 degrees with your hand holding the filters in place, to set the open end on the clean injector tee gasket.

16.0 Adjust as necessary and install lower high pressure clamp to 44 inch pounds if you are using Viton or 50 inch pounds of you are using PTFE.

17.0 Remove packing speed clamp and lid from top of column.

18.0 Install a clean screened gasket, and set the lid assembly in place.

19.0 Adjust as necessary and install lower high pressure clamp to 44 inch pounds if you are using Viton or 50 inch pounds of you are using PTFE.

20.0 Start high vacuum pump.

21.0 Open column vacuum isolation valve.

22.0 Evacuate the column to -29" Hg.

232.0 Close high vacuum valve

24.0 Shut off high vacuum pump.

25.0 Start recovery pump.

26.0 Open pot recovery isolation valve.

27.0 Flood the column and proceed with the process.

hobb3s93

how often are people changing their filter dryers? or how often vac/baking them?

im am thinking about taking the lid of my collection spool when its half or third full of liquid solvent(or low enough psi), chilling on dry ice , the dewaxing with a buchner/flask setup.

is it safe to start recovering on the solvent after its poured back? as in because of all the added atmosphere in the spool.

how much solvent is everybody running on their 3x36 material column?