What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Big clone, trained on the mother before cutting

G

Big clone, trained on the mother before cutting

111IMG00018.JPG

111IMG00019.JPG

G

She was probably 12" to 14" tall when her tip was inverted using LST. After a week, I cut her and stuck it in a cup of water. She has ben in the water for 30 days.

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
that is by far the coolest clone ive ever seen. How did she stay so green being so big. did you mist her, nutes in water? etc..

G

A natural side effect of water cloning is virtually no leaf degredation during the rooting period.

G

sunnyside said:
just plain water in a jar? aero cloner? bubbler? details please

Ah, that's it. You have the detail already. Water cloning is ages old, the original cloning method for every plant. You do not need to check pH or use a humidity domw. Just keep the water fairly warm, 75-80f, change it semi-regularly, and provide very low light levels, a cutting will root.

Troubleshooting is easy.

-Yellowing leaves means too much light
-Delayed rooting (more than 2-3 weeks) usually means too cold temps
-That's about it....

G

like I always say "Keep it simple, stupid"

Thanks for the info Capri

Tex

Hillbilly Haze

What about when leaves start turning dark and shriveling up? Thats what happened to my last batch of 12 or so clones that I tried to water clone.

G

Did you change the water fairly frequently? Ive seen that in some cuts when the water is left unchanged. Pythium develops, the water turns cloudy and the plant dies from the growtips down. Damndest thing I ever saw. Other than that, excessive heat might do that to a plant, but the cut itself should wilt before the tops blacken under that kind of intensity.

G

Ideally, every other day. But things are rarely idea in my house so they sometimes go 3-4 days. That may be slowing the rooting speed somewhat, but I only need clones every 17 days.

G

kick azz........

kick azz........

.........man , that is really gettin a head start:D

i been killin cuts like its goin outta style, finally got a few to root:D

Im goin with the water clonin next go, just let um go, man didnt know ya could leave um there for 30 days.

pleasure
CBF

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
temps?

temps?

you mention a range of 75-80 degrees, how far can you deviate from this range in either direction before it becomes detrimental to thier ability to root. when i use my heat mat it gets up to 85 and without it drops to about 70. that's why i was wondering

also, have you ever done this with airstones? do you think it might speed the process any?

Last edited:
G

Re: temps?

Re: temps?

mybeans420 said:
you mention a range of 75-80 degrees, how far can you deviate from this range in either direction before it becomes detrimental to thier ability to root. when i use my heat mat it gets up to 85 and without it drops to about 70. that's why i was wondering

also, have you ever done this with airstones? do you think it might speed the process any?

Under 60 and rooting slows dramatically. Warm temps dont seem to hinder rooting, but they do facilitate the growth of nasties in the water. The warmer, the more often you should change it.

Adding an airstone would absolutely speed up rooting times. The 10K aerocloner is great evidence of this, as are the other air/water methods of rooting cuts.

G

Hey Art! Yeah, for my first time, I gottta say Im impressed, tho some of the branching has stretched more than I wanted. You've seen this done somewhere else? Do you have a link? I would love to see how others do it.

G

Update pics

Update pics

There are three plants total. Two trained before cloning and one 12" clone that went in untouched. The root systems may look vastly different, but the smaller ones have dozens of roots coming out of the stem for several inches along it's length. The one real long one is just three roots, grown out almost as thick as some of the branching.

These well developed root systems will grow into the soil overnight. I use the clear cups for only a very short time (obviously) to tell root development. If you cant tell from the pic, it was actually a challenge to get those roots in there :)

111IMG00004.JPG

111IMG00007.JPG

111IMG00008.JPG

111IMG00005.JPG

111IMG00009.JPG

Last edited:
G

I would also lke it noted that after an additional 13 days since first pictured, that big fan leaf is still just as green and healthy as when it was cut......45 days ago.

Latest posts

Latest posts