What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lambsbread?

Marvin Moses

Recently had someone show me this nug, calling it the Lambsbread. Now, I've seen old photos from the '70s of something that looked similar. Supposedly, Lambsbread was Bob Marley's favorite strain...and the guy who had this was Jamaican. So my question is: has anyone here ever really seen Lambsbread or does anybody know if this could possibly be Lambsbread?

The bud had a very sweet and fruity, but mellow aroma...the smoke had a smooth, organic taste. Despite the fact that you can see a couple of seeds pushing out on the bottom, I enjoyed smoking and smelling this bud very much.

Is it the Lambsbread?

Last edited:
G

Looks like it to me.I have seen it before. The picture fits the profile. Looks like it seeded also.Iwant some!

Keep the seeds and grow some out and see what happens. You may have just scored some good jamaican genes. I once grew a plant from a seed from a jamaican bag I got. I grew it outside and plant was huge.Mostly sativa. Something ended up eating though so I never got to smoke any. :(

snl25

Oh man. Looks like it has about 6 or 7 seeds in it. Look pretty viable too. Let me know if you grow those out, I'd like to see some pics of it in growth. I've heard good things about Lambsbread, how was the high of it? Damn I would love to grow Lambsbread, you are one lucky fellow. Supposed to be one hell of yielder from what I've heard. Keep it green.

Take care!

that jamaican tasted spicy and musky but didnt have much of a soaring sativa high that one comes to expect from a legendary sativa from jamaica. In order for a outdoor sativa to really show it's full potential, it must be grown at a high altitude in a tropical/hot climate, preferably near the equador as that will bring the thc out. I dont think the summers are long enough in upsate ny to support 100% sativa growth -

filter xp

Yea I definetly think Phil is right with outdoor in NY. I never even try growing outdoor out here.

But as far as that being Lambsbread, it sure does look like it. I have never seen it in person - only in High Times...I can scan the article if you want, it shows pics of all the classic weed from the 70s and 80s up to NYC Diesel today.

With that being said, I've heard these 'legendary strains' were once the cream of crop for their time, but that nowadays they would be considered nothing special compared to the legendary strains of today.

So maybe when you missed that soaring sativa high, is it possible its just not really there anymore compared to todays genetics? Or maybe its just not really lambsbread.

It would be interesting to chat with somebody who has smoked todays greats as well as the legends of before my time and hear the comparison.

Panama Red vs Sour Diesel - the final showdown

Marvin Moses

Unfortunately I don't own this nug...I was just lucky enough to see it, photograph it, and smoke it. So no seeds. Also, Phil is right. It didn't have a super-soaring high. It was just a very pleasant, sweet daytime smoke. Very enjoyable, but not a nuts high...

Lambs Breath

Lambs Breath

I have a clone of this just starting flowering cycle. It's heavily sativa in the leaves. I was told it's a Jamaican variety and the sample I had was excellent smoke and sativa high.

G

~from High Times~

~from High Times~

GLOBAL HARVEST REPORT JAMAICA 2002

Ganja grows in abundance in Jamaica, but like any plant, it grows in some places better than others. Westmoreland, where the tourist mecca Negril is situated, produces some of the best ganja to be found on the island. Gone are the days of the legendary lambsbread, but many tasty new varieties have since emerged.

Can checkout the full report here: http://www.hightimes.com/ht/grow/content.php?bid=178&aid=3

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I'm bumping this really old thread here for several reasons...
One of which is the fact that the latest thread about "Lambsbread" ,was just closed by the mods because several members chose to use it for their personal, little girl cat fight.

The OP's picture looks like it could possibly be a new grow of some sort of old Jamaican sativa..
I can't say one way or the other whether it's descended from lambsbread or not..
But I will say this; I sure hope the OP saved those seeds and grew them out!

I spent several months way back in the hills of Jamaica on my first two trips there in 1972 and '73... I had only been toking for about 4 years by then.
Really, "Lambsbread" was explained to me by my new rasta friends back then, as not really being a single strain of it's own,
but more of a term used to describe any of several strains which were superior in many aspects to the majority of other sativa strains grown in Jamaica back then...
But to be honest, all the ganja I smoked there was brain soaring weed without a hint of Indica like couch-lock, body numbing effect.
The grass energized and lifted your mind and your body...

You need to remember, there were no wide leaf varieties of marijuana in Jamaica at that time.
It was the influx of hippie tourists, mostly from Europe,
who began bringing Indica seeds there in the mid and late '70's and later, which led to Jamaican weed becoming the hybrid which it is mostly today..
By my fourth and last trip to Jamaica in 1994, the weed had changed completely, and I personally did not like it at all.

Now, on that last trip I was there with my ex-wife,
so I wasn't able to go traipsing all over the hills looking for an unadulterated sativa , similar to the ganja I smoked there on my first three trips...
But I'm sure if I had had the time by myself, I probably could have found it by venturing deep into the hills as I had done on my first three journeys there...

Here are a couple pictures from that first trip in 1972...
The first one is in the hills, but still in a somewhat populated and beautifully farmed area...
The second picture is getting further back and is typical of the roads I hiked on to get to the trails which led me far back to where many of the
real rastas lived a life which excluded most of the modern conveniences.
But damn, they sure smoked great ganja back there, and plenty of it!

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 25

troutman

Seed Whore
I'm bumping this really old thread here for several reasons...
One of which is the fact that the latest thread about "Lambsbread" ,was just closed by the mods because several members chose to use it for their personal, little girl cat fight.

:pet the cat:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
All the guys around here don't know strains like I do. I here Blueberry or Kush from time to time but the guys who mentioned Blueberry acts like it's a new strain lol. When I was younger people called killer weed" the shit that killed Elvis". Almost anything that was good that's what people called it....or younger guys would say chronic. Maybe that lambsbread was indeed several of the killer strains from Jamaica. Prolly 2-3 strains if not just 2....Jamaica is a really small place. Those guys probably weren't versed in strains like 95% of people I know. We need to realize the members if these forums are mostly all the guys that keep up on strains. Because I've never met anyone that knows strains like us guys on here. If I mention all the strains I have going to anybody around here they'd think I was crazy.

On another note here were I live it's in the low 90s to high 80s everyday with high humidity...lows in the 70s at nite. I can keep a sativa in the ground until early Nov....I'd love to try a lambsbread. I'm running a few sativas this season to see if I can finish them. But it's hard to say if Lambsbread is only 1 strain....then if it is only 1 strain it could have 4-5 phenos with only 1-2 of top quality. We could pick this apart but until somebody from Jamacia that's had/has this strain sheds some light it's gonna fall into interepration of our views and thoughts.....which are just that....thoughts and views not facts

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
On my first trip to Jamaica, I went alone, and explored parts of the island with locals showing me around.

On my second trip in 1973, I took a very good friend with me, as he was already an experienced adventure travel companion.

This picture was taken at Bully's camp, way up in the hills of Hanover Parish...
Bully is the man standing beside me, my buddy on the far right, and the young Jamaican men were sort of apprentices to Bully, learning the ways of Rastafarianism.

The small clay bowl Bully is holding goes to his "chalice", which was a water pipe which usually used an inner coconut shell for holding the water...
(He actually gave this pipe to me a few days later, when a friend of his delivered his new larger bowled chalice.)
This bowl held about a quarter ounce of ganja, but his new one had a 1 ounce clay bowl...:biggrin:
I still have the chalise, it got a lot of use back home for several years,
but is now stored in a box in the back of my closet.

We spent several days with Bully and he showed us several hidden, secret waterfalls, and small rivers, and we hiked for miles with him..
We met several of his rasta friend neighbors, who lived within a mile away in different directions from his camp...

And we smoked a lot of very fine ganja there, some of which was told to us to be the "Lambsbread"
We also ate a lot of fine natural food there and drank a lemongrass tea, which also had ganja in it....

Attachments

• jamaica 1973.jpg
    jamaica 1973.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 27

herbgreen

Veteran
Like that picture pretty amazing...

I like these 'steam chalice' with clay bowl is that it or smoking?

We used something similar w/ glass bowl and then heat soruce/on top

Very powerful vapor and deep experience

Love these guys continue Rasta tradition theres a few videos like this heres a good one

Steam Chalice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJSnhoWc3mA

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
nice thread, lets see if we can keep all the breeder wars off it.

*and excellent post about your travels in Jamaica Bud Green.

ahortator

Veteran
The same has happened or it is currently happening in Mexico, Colombia, South Africa, Swaziland, Parvati Valley, zones of Thailand, Cambodia, Burma,... Everywhere! :wallbash: :cuss: :crazy: :frown:

ZJojzYo.jpg

Roms

Veteran
On my first trip to Jamaica, I went alone, and explored parts of the island with locals showing me around.

On my second trip in 1973, I took a very good friend with me, as he was already an experienced adventure travel companion.

This picture was taken at Bully's camp, way up in the hills of Hanover Parish...
Bully is the man standing beside me, my buddy on the far right, and the young Jamaican men were sort of apprentices to Bully, learning the ways of Rastafarianism.

The small clay bowl Bully is holding goes to his "chalice", which was a water pipe which usually used an inner coconut shell for holding the water...
(He actually gave this pipe to me a few days later, when a friend of his delivered his new larger bowled chalice.)
This bowl held about a quarter ounce of ganja, but his new one had a 1 ounce clay bowl...:biggrin:
I still have the chalise, it got a lot of use back home for several years,
but is now stored in a box in the back of my closet.

We spent several days with Bully and he showed us several hidden, secret waterfalls, and small rivers, and we hiked for miles with him..
We met several of his rasta friend neighbors, who lived within a mile away in different directions from his camp...

And we smoked a lot of very fine ganja there, some of which was told to us to be the "Lambsbread"
We also ate a lot of fine natural food there and drank a lemongrass tea, which also had ganja in it....

Great life and witness! Thank you Bud Green!

That makes me listen Rub n dub soundtrack, dancehall style thanks MC Sister Nancy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YexL5pxVgV0

picture.php

A perfect coconut water pipe technique takes us back to distant ages in Africa/Asia!

Here is in Ethiopia

Latest posts

Latest posts