What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are the origins of Jamaican marijuana?

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Hey Elmer Bud,

why did you give me negative rep for this new information that Sam mentioned and Mexcurandero420 cited?

does it some how offend you?

if you had read the link you would see how it connects to Cannabis getting to India, which of course relates to how it got to Jamaica

G `day W

Just got tired of you going off on tangents about archaeological non discoveries .
Then post a block of text with no paragraphs . TLDR ...

Your theory it left Asia - thrived in Europe - then was transported back to India ?

How about this hypothesis ; it was already in India before it made its journey west ?

Seems logical being transported by land from SW China to Nth India long before it traveled to Europe and back by sea.

picture.php

Thanks for sharin

EB . .

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G `day Sam

Did you travel to Bengal and Bangladesh when you visited India ?
Seems those regions were big ganja producers in the British East india era .
Also the region where a lot of Coolies came from .

Thanks for sharin

EB . .

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I did travel all over India living there for two years and going 15 times, I know India Cannabis very well, that was why I was in India, Cannabis both herbal and hashish, as well as seeds.....
Kashmir to Bengal to Kerala I saw them all.

-SamS

G `day Sam

Did you travel to Bengal and Bangladesh when you visited India ?
Seems those regions were big ganja producers in the British East india era .
Also the region where a lot of Coolies came from .

Thanks for sharin

EB . .

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I saw a Power Point presentation given by Dr John at the ICRS in Leiden two weeks ago it covered similar info but at the end you could ask Dr John questions about his findings, and I did.

-SamS

Only pdf is available online, not a ppt.Don't know if he will do in the near future, but till then we've to wait.

B

Bird~friend

UWHHH India! A Jolly " Caption " & ' First thing ' in the Morning :tiphat:

...Just saying Saw Timothy west n Prunella Scales Cruising their Canals (But like Slow Moving Rivers) .Wide Beam Boat for Sure and What an Endearing Place

G 'Day EB (-:

What are the origins of Jamaican marijuana? ... Hmmm :chin:.

Jamaica ! :biggrin: :dance013: .

https://youtu.be/QqJvqMeaDtU

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Veteran
I did travel all over India living there for two years and going 15 times, I know India Cannabis very well, that was why I was in India, Cannabis both herbal and hashish, as well as seeds.....
Kashmir to Bengal to Kerala I saw them all.

-SamS

G `day Sam

Ok , so , what relationships did you see with ganja in India .
And the ganja in Jamaica . Similar genotype ? Familiar terps , recognise a high ?

30 + years ago Australia had an incredibly diverse NLD pool .
Late 80s the Skunk arrived . Very few of the old varieties left .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

W

Water-

its more likely for a plant to spread longitudinally first

than latitudinally where it would have to go through a more extreme adaption to a very different climate.

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
To be honest I did not see much in India that reminded me of Jamaican Ganja landrace varieties pre invasion of the WLD varieties.
The closest may have been some in Kerala vaguely similar but different terps by my nose.
I suspect that Jamaican NLD varieties were a blend of Indian and African genes that settled down into stable landraces in Jamaica?

Australia has only had Cannabis being cultivated for maybe 60-70 years less then 50 as sinsemilla, and there may have been a lot of different
NLD varieties but unless conserved and kept away from WLD varieties they will be hybridized and gone as pure NLD varieties pretty fast.

-SamS

G `day Sam

Ok , so , what relationships did you see with ganja in India .
And the ganja in Jamaica . Similar genotype ? Familiar terps , recognise a high ?

30 + years ago Australia had an incredibly diverse NLD pool .
Late 80s the Skunk arrived . Very few of the old varieties left .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
The closest may have been some in Kerala vaguely similar but different terps by my nose.

-SamS

Salut SamS, Kerala ports have had important trade links in antiquity with Ethiopia!

Kerala x Ethiopia acclimated in Jamaica in mind.

About the Ethiopian origin the evidence is characterized by water pipes that are quasi the same to those of rastas.

Here is in Ethiopia
picture.php

Rasta chalice a fe burn!
picture.php

W

Water-

To be honest I did not see munch in India that reminded me of Jamaican Ganja landrace varieties pre invasion of the WLD varieties.
I suspect that Jamaican NLD varieties were a blend of Indian and African genes that settled down into stable landraces in Jamaica?

Australia has only had Cannabis being cultivated for maybe 60-70 years less then 50 as sinsemilla, and there may have been a lot of different
NLD varieties but unless conserved and kept away from WLD varieties they will be hybridized and gone as pure NLD varieties pretty fast.

-SamS

Hi Sam.

from your experience was the Kerala very narrow leafed or a little wider like the examples from Bodhi and Real Seed Company?

Im just wondering if the extreme narrow leaf originates in South East Asia or India?

B

Bird~friend

lol roms the rasta and nasal smoke! :) Instantly thought of a clip from Howard Marks a Video Diary
He mentions "The rastas" Smoking Habits. Areal Art to making SO MUCH Smoke
Coulnt find a relevant pic but there is this lol
picture.php

Gry

Picture in post 131 sure does look like the old 'toker' that instrument research used to make.

Dows

I wouldn't discount the idea African slaves had something to do with these crops. In the Americas we have the arrival of different African crops from melons, gourds, sorghum, okra, species of rice, cowpeas, plantains, and maybe more. Out of the millions of people trafficked it's not hard to believe some carried seeds. As mentioned, Europeans contributed to diffusion and cultivation.

It's evident some of these crops have ranges across Asia too, and likely even arrived in Africa from Asia at some date millennia ago. I think the same happened with cannabis. In Phylos, sub-Saharan cannabis clearly has a link with SE Asian varieties. Some of this is probably Indian influence, but with the arrival of the ancestors of the Malagasy off the coast of Africa, plus crops like bananas in Africa, maybe this is another current. Maybe something complex happened in the Americas too, such as Asia > Africa > America + Asia and Europe > America.

I've also asked this before, but where does the American word "doja" for smoked cannabis come from? Depending on the answer, this word could be linguistically significant because it sounds a lot like "dagga", a native South African word for cannabis. I've searched for etymology on dagga and supposedly it comes from Khoikhoi 'dagab' or something similar. Found nothing for doja except a 20-year record of use in hip hop lyrics.

troutman

Seed Whore
I've also asked this before, but where does the American word "doja" for smoked cannabis come from? Depending on the answer, this word could be linguistically significant because it sounds a lot like "dagga", a native South African word for cannabis. I've searched for etymology on dagga and supposedly it comes from Khoikhoi 'dagab' or something similar. Found nothing for doja except a 20-year record of use in hip hop lyrics.

I know Daggering is a crazy form of dance originating from Jamaica.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daggering

Look at these crazy Daggerers. :laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv1uWjKOHJU

B

Bird~friend

I Still have Some Blue Mountain 'coffee' I got from there.

" Half Expecting,some Organism to be amongst the packaging! " l o l

Last edited: