What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Automated Multi-station Irrigation System

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I am looking for some feedback on setting up an automated irrigation system that pumps water/nutrients to 6-8 different raised beds for veggies. I would like to make zones and water each bed/group of beds independently.

After researching, it seems the easiest approach is to use a sprinkler system controller and valves. However, I would really like to add automated nutrient dosing as well, which would require a second set of timed controls that must sync to sprinkler controller (ie I would have to enter the sequence twice on separate devices and clocks must match perfectly). Below is a diagram of what I am envisioning, but I would also like to add an inline heater/chiller for hot and cold seasons:

EDIT - Removed Image - Corrected some problems. See below.

Is there a better way to do this? Perhaps a more advanced controller that could integrate dosing directly? Or do I really need to look to an IoT solution with something like Arduino? Many thanks!!!

WFF

PDX Dopesmoker

I saw someone who was selling a widget for something like that at a trade show last summer, There equipment did aeration as well as feeding temperature controlled water and other fluids.
Don't remember their name unfortunately.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I saw someone who was selling a widget for something like that at a trade show last summer, There equipment did aeration as well as feeding temperature controlled water and other fluids.
Don't remember their name unfortunately.

I have seen some REALLY advanced DIY projects, likely built by professional engineers in their off time, but am looking for something in the medium range of difficulty as opposed to expert. Would love to find a company that sells a master controller with Bluetooth phone/tablet access and massive scalability for sensors and gear.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
After a bit more thought, here is a more efficient diagram of what I am trying to do.

picture.php

Logic is the following:

NO (Normally Open) electric ball valve would autofill the reservoir when no power/signal is sent from the controller. When a station is active, this valve closes and no water is allowed into res. Pump empties all of water (and nutrients) from res during cycle.

Controller has a special station wired to a digital cycle timer. When powered, the timer will power nutrient pump for a short period of time and then shut off, but since this station is not part of Trigger Relay group (and thus no power to NO ball valve), water will be filling the reservoir and mixing up nutrients. The time for this station could allow the reservoir to either fill completely or a shorter time would allow it to only fill partially.

There would also be a final programmed station that is connected to no outputs. So, when it is triggered, NO valve would lose power and fill reservoir but without the dosing step.

Programming would be something like this:

Days 1, 2, 4, 5 & 7

Station 1 (raised bed group 1) - 10 minutes
Station 8 (fill only) - 5 minutes
Station 2 (raised bed group 2) - 10 minutes
Station 8 (fill only) - 3 minutes
Station 3 (raised bed group 3) - 10 minutes
Station 8 (fill only) - 4 minutes
Station 4 (raised bed group 4) - 10 minutes
Station 8 (fill only) - 5 minutes

Days 3 & 6

Station 1 (raised bed group 1) - 10 minutes
Station 7 (fill + nutrients) - 5 minutes
Station 2 (raised bed group 2) - 10 minutes
Station 7 (fill + nutrients) - 3 minutes
Station 3 (raised bed group 3) - 10 minutes
Station 7 (fill + nutrients) - 4 minutes
Station 4 (raised bed group 4) - 10 minutes
Station 7 (fill + nutrients) - 5 minutes

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
This is currently looking like the best candidate for the controller:

https://opensprinkler.com/product/opensprinkler/

OpenSprinkler is an open-source, web-based smart sprinkler controller for lawn and plant watering, drip irrigation, farm irrigation, hydroponics etc. OpenSprinkler is accessible through any modern browser or via our free mobile app available for most mobile platforms. The current version is OS 3.0, with built-in WiFi and OLED display. You can choose between AC-powered or DC-powered version. Take a look at this Getting Started Guide for details of this version, and FAQs for common questions. Among the new features, 3.0 supports built-in WiFi, Over-the-Air (OTA) firmware update, and 2 independent sensors.

If you prefer wired Ethernet port and do not want built-in WiFi, choose version 2.3 (with acrylic enclosure, a lead time of 1~2 weeks may apply depending on stock).

AC-powered OpenSprinkler requires a 24VAC sprinkler transformer (NOT included by default but can be purchased as add-on). It is designed to work with 24VAC valves only.
DC-powered OpenSprinkler uses a 7.5VDC low-voltage power adapter, included in the package. It is designed to work with both 24VAC solenoid valves as well as DC non-latching (e.g. 12VDC) solenoid valves or fish-tank pumps. The power options are flexible: you can power it with any DC adapter that outputs voltage between 5VDC to 12VDC, or use solar panel (12VDC). For details about how DC-powered controller works, please refer to this blog post.

Intuitive User Interface — no more messing with buttons and knobs, no more running to your garage to make a single change to your sprinkler programs. Instead, use web browsers and our free mobile apps to access OpenSprinkler from anywhere, whether you are at home, at office, or away traveling.

Smart Control — our weather algorithm automatically adjusts your sprinkler run times using real-time weather data. It not only stops watering when it rains, but also adjusts the water time on a continuous scale based on your local weather conditions.

Expandable — 8 zones on the main controller; expandable to 72 zones with OpenSprinkler expansion boards. Have more than 72 zones? Our app can manage multiple OpenSprinkler systems for limitless expansion.

Compatibility — OpenSprinkler is a drop-in replacement of conventional sprinkler controllers. It supports master zone / pump start relay, rain sensor, flow sensor, program start switch, and has buttons and an LCD for manual control on the controller.

Advanced Features — OpenSprinkler supports advanced features that you rarely find on other competitor products, such as support for remote stations, radio frequency (RF) stations, flow sensor, dual master stations, repeating program start times, multi-language support.

Open-Source — OpenSprinkler is built on open-source software and hardware. Its design files are publicly available on Github. Our mission is to educate and to leverage community wisdom to help make the best sprinkler controller. If you have technical skills, you can extend its capability in any way you need.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Back Country, the renegade grower from the wilds of Oregon, has returned. Of this I am certain. Don't ask me how I know, unless you know already ha ha.

CrushnYuba

I think you may be over thinking this. Instead Of trying to reinvent the wheel.. Why Don't u just get a dosatron or mix rite fertilizer doser. I prefer mix rite. I think my adjustable mix rite was like 350$. They have ones that are not adjustable for less.

No need for rez or pumps or relays. Just the doser and a cheap 24v sprinkler timer and valves.

In my depp i use one to lightly feed on every water. I manually flush once in a while with straight water. If u dont want to feed on every water u just throw a sprinkler valve on your doser manifold and set it for when you want to feed.

A cheap rainbird 6 zone could do your 4 zones, and have 2 zones left for controlling the doser.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I think you may be over thinking this. Instead Of trying to reinvent the wheel.. Why Don't u just get a dosatron or mix rite fertilizer doser. I prefer mix rite. I think my adjustable mix rite was like 350$. They have ones that are not adjustable for less.

No need for rez or pumps or relays. Just the doser and a cheap 24v sprinkler timer and valves.

In my depp i use one to lightly feed on every water. I manually flush once in a while with straight water. If u dont want to feed on every water u just throw a sprinkler valve on your doser manifold and set it for when you want to feed.

A cheap rainbird 6 zone could do your 4 zones, and have 2 zones left for controlling the doser.

Mos def appreciate the info! I agree on trying to simplify. I previously saw the MixRite on DripWorks website, but the design makes more sense now.

I am looking to completely automate as much as possible, and I definitely want the ability to program whether to feed or not on every zone individually. I envision some complex programming.

A few questions:

Would the two zones for the doser be to control the manifold like below? I assume this means that you can program the two doser zones to run at the same time as the primary zones?

If I wanted to keep the rez design, which would let me manually add nutrients, would a 24v pump and plumbing simply replace the MixRite? Programming would be different.

Thanks!

WFF

picture.php

beta

Veteran
If you have injectors there's no point in having a reservoir. If you want one, you can use the injectors to fill it up, but that defeats the purpose of having injectors.

The sprinkler controller doesn't control the injectors, they are water powered and just pull the right amount of nutrient solution into the line as the water passes over. The water passes over when the main manifolds for your zone are open - When they close, water flow (and injection) stops.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I use Z-Wave home automation. Any type of schedule is possible, right down to the second. You can control it from anywhere with your phone or any computer. It can send you text messages confirming operations. Cheap and easy.

Vera controller.

Appliance modules

picture.php

CrushnYuba

You can program to feed each individual zone automatically. Your manifold will have 2 sprinkler valves on it with 2 directions water can flow. It can go through the mixrite or bypass it. When u want it to go through the mixrite and feed u have that valve programmed to go on when that zone opens. If u don't want it to feed on that zone u have the bypass valve on.

CrushnYuba

0710181153_1.jpg

So check out this manifold. Build something like this but instead of using those 3 ball valves, use 2 sprinkler valves and a check valve. The ball valve after the doser and filter can be replaced with a flap check. Its just to prevent back flow back into the doser.
After your doser manifold you will put your zone manifold like you normally would.
You are not dosing into the rez. You are injecting the fertalizer directly into your irrigation water stream before your individual irrigation zones. You don't need a rez at all. You just need a container of concentrated liquid fertalizer for the doser to draw from.

Edit: i just saw your last diagram. It looks good. Just put a filter and check valve in, and u are good.

Last edited:

CrushnYuba

For being so tall? It's to fit a 60 gallon drum underneath. At .02% dilution, a 5 gallon bucket only makes like 250 gallons of nutrient water. It does adjust down to .005% but i use allot of powders that don't do well more concentrated.
Imagine putting all the nutrients that you would put in a 250 gallon tank in a 5 gallon bucket.

One of my gardens easily uses 2500 gallons in a watering. That Will use a full 60 gallon drum of concentrated nutrient.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
For being so tall? It's to fit a 60 gallon drum underneath. At .02% dilution, a 5 gallon bucket only makes like 250 gallons of nutrient water. It does adjust down to .005% but i use allot of powders that don't do well more concentrated.
Imagine putting all the nutrients that you would put in a 250 gallon tank in a 5 gallon bucket.

One of my gardens easily uses 2500 gallons in a watering. That Will use a full 60 gallon drum of concentrated nutrient.

How easy is it to make exact adjustments from say .02 to .05? How well do you think the Mix Rite would do pulling from a bucket of liquid organic fertilizers?

CrushnYuba

It's very easy., it's very exact. Takes about 15 seconds.
Liquid organic.... If you mean it comes as a liquid bottle then yea. No problem.
It Will be easier then the powders that i use that are hard to keep in suspension.

How easy is it to make exact adjustments from say .02 to .05? How well do you think the Mix Rite would do pulling from a bucket of liquid organic fertilizers?

Thanks, Crushnyuba. Your contributions are most appreciated.

Why is the filter before the mixrite?

To verify my math, a .02% dilution rate would be 5000:1. Did you mean .2%? Which mixrite do you use?

I'm building a manifold based on your design.