What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Collecting Pollen Sacs

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I'm going on a trip and will collect a few seeds, and hopefully pollen (for this years experiments. lol).

If I collect unopened (immature) pollen sacs, will the pollen be valid? It would be a lot easier to transport pollen sacs as opposed to "a yellow powder" lol

NEED 4 SEED

They need to be dried quickly and stored frozen then to keep them fertile.

Sorry, the question was about the unripe pollen sacs, I see. I don't think there is much pollen in unripe sacs. So better collect only the ripe pollen and store it properly.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
They need to be dried quickly and stored frozen then to keep them fertile.

Sorry, the question was about the unripe pollen sacs, I see. I don't think there is much pollen in unripe sacs. So better collect only the ripe pollen and store it properly.

Pollen needs to be frozen? You mean I can't just fill a vial and put it in my carry-on? I didn't think it was that delicate.

Hum.. I don't think travelling with a thermos cryo chamber is feasible. I'll have to check on that one. lol

NEED 4 SEED

Pollen needs to be frozen? You mean I can't just fill a vial and put it in my carry-on? I didn't think it was that delicate.

Hum.. I don't think travelling with a thermos cryo chamber is feasible. I'll have to check on that one. lol

It depends on the duration of your trip. If it all goes down in a day or two you are fine. Fresh pollen contains water and should be dried to avoid mold before sealing. After drying it won't stay viable for very long, maybe a week or so. So has to be frozen after drying or used within a few days. Any more questions?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
It depends on the duration of your trip. If it all goes down in a day or two you are fine. Fresh pollen contains water and should be dried to avoid mold before sealing. After drying it won't stay viable for very long, maybe a week or so. So has to be frozen after drying or used within a few days. Any more questions?

Many thanks. Timing to acquire is good, but may not be good timing at home. Worst case, it doesn't work. Who knows, I might get lucky.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I have used flour in the past with good results, but many experts suggest using cornstarch.

I'll be jungle treking so it might be tough to score plain white flour let alone corn starch. lol. Going through customs in Central America with a fine white powder is just askin' for trouble. Hopefully they'll have some at the Maxi (gringo grocery store). lol

Last time I went to Ecuador they confiscated my box of Arm and Hammer baking soda! I said I needed it for cooking because we were going for 4 weeks. When I started swearing at the dude, one of them who spoke English explained that it's used to make cocaine and wouldn't let it in the country so I let the little prick have it. I had to use non-food grade to make my pizza dough. lol

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Because pollen is legal to transport. But I ended up bringing in a couple dozen seeds with me anyway.

It's a Honduran landrace from an island away from the mainland and the imported Jamaican won't grow on the island. That means no cross pollination with the Jam. The locals call it Trash. One man's trash is another man's treasure. lol

Because BIRD FEED is legal to import (I checked with health Canada and cbsa), I'm getting a pound of Trash seeds (and 1 of the Jam) sent to me. I'll try to do a seed run outdoor this year anyway. They tell me it's 6 months from seed to harvest. We'll see. I'll look for someone to grow a couple indoor for me in case I get an early frost. The smoke and high is exceptionally clear and motivating, but not particularly strong (thc). Perfect for this lightweight. That said, my wife's tolerance is very high and she gave it two thumbs up.

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Salt air and soil I'm told.

Personally, it's probably because the Trash grows so easily. They drop the seeds and step on them, and it just grows. They never cull the males.

The Jamaican is always imported in bricks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts