What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zamaldelica

The Hatter

Veteran
Thanks to all those who have shared their Zamaldelica experiences in this thread. There are some amazing looking grows here.

This sounds like an intense strain. Personally I am very interested in the the Zamal and Thia portions of this hybrid and thier very upbeat, clear, electric and psychedelic effects. The Malawi part worries me a bit. Its effects definitely sound too heavy and muddy for my tastes.

The smoke reports I have read vary greatly. The same grower described his two Zamaldelica plants as having quite different effects.

One plant sounded great with a very Zamal/Thia like effect, extremely electric and clear. Almost terrifyingly up and intense. The other was described as much more like a malawi or golden tiger experience, strong and psychedelic but with a heavy crash.

How common are the phenos that produce the more Zamal/Thia style effects vs the heavier and muddier Malawi buzz?
Also, is there anyway to pick out a plant that will have the desired electric effect BEFORE flowering it? Do the plants with the clear Zamal/Thia effects fit any sort of pattern to their preflower physical traits?

Basically what I am asking is if a person germinated a pack of Zamaldelica and was limited to keeping only a single female for flowering how likely is it that they would find a plant with a very clear, electric and trippy effect vs the heavier and dirtier Malawi and GT style high?

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
You forgot to say "more powerful" about the malawi / golden tiger side. :) It's hard to describe, but so far the more malawi influenced - the more penetrating and paralyzing the high will be. The thai keeps it lighter and more positive, the zamal more "ramped up" where you're very very aware of how sativa the plant is. For me, its a tightening in the stomach / diaphragm region which I half jokingly refer to as "the fear."

In my very limited experience (I'm now flowering my 3rd and 4th Zamaldelicas) the more "African" looking the leaves are in veg, the more Malawi in it. The zamal / thai side seem to be thinner, more thai leaning leaves, but every bean will be different as I believe these are F1s.

This is probably a good place for Dubi to save me with some more information as I am only working with very limited knowledge of this strain.

idiit

Veteran
i just culled all but one of my zamaldelicas. the one i kept exhibits very strong autoflowering characteristics at around 7-8 weeks from seed germination. this autoflowering is indicitive ( i hope) of strong geritt's cut zamal influence. i then will cross my selected phz male (lots of purple in stem at 7 weeks) into the zamal leaning zamaldelica pheno and hopefully keep clones of the parents as well. the smoke reports on zamal/hz are ridiculous. dubi says the zamal and phz lines both offer superb breeding potential.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hello Terpene,

Looking nice in early flowering :) Are you flowering only with LEDS or mixed with HPS ?
This outdoor sativa genetics really need strong light intensity and im not sure today's LEDs have the enough punch to achieve the best results indoors, mixing LEDS with HPS will be great! Im not an expert on the matter but i think LEDs are good to avoid stretching in the first weeks of flowering cos the lower temps of the lamp and its spectrum although you can always expect strong stretching growing this kind of genetics indoors. Best wishes!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks to all those who have shared their Zamaldelica experiences in this thread. There are some amazing looking grows here.

This sounds like an intense strain. Personally I am very interested in the the Zamal and Thia portions of this hybrid and thier very upbeat, clear, electric and psychedelic effects. The Malawi part worries me a bit. Its effects definitely sound too heavy and muddy for my tastes.

The smoke reports I have read vary greatly. The same grower described his two Zamaldelica plants as having quite different effects.

One plant sounded great with a very Zamal/Thia like effect, extremely electric and clear. Almost terrifyingly up and intense. The other was described as much more like a malawi or golden tiger experience, strong and psychedelic but with a heavy crash.

How common are the phenos that produce the more Zamal/Thia style effects vs the heavier and muddier Malawi buzz?
Also, is there anyway to pick out a plant that will have the desired electric effect BEFORE flowering it? Do the plants with the clear Zamal/Thia effects fit any sort of pattern to their preflower physical traits?

Basically what I am asking is if a person germinated a pack of Zamaldelica and was limited to keeping only a single female for flowering how likely is it that they would find a plant with a very clear, electric and trippy effect vs the heavier and dirtier Malawi and GT style high?

Hello The Hatter,

You are right on the effect descriptions of the different Zamaldelica phenos. And Terpene provided a good tip, the ones with wider leaf are usually more malawi influenced, therefore they are the ones that have more heavy dense effect.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
i just culled all but one of my zamaldelicas. the one i kept exhibits very strong autoflowering characteristics at around 7-8 weeks from seed germination. this autoflowering is indicitive ( i hope) of strong geritt's cut zamal influence. i then will cross my selected phz male (lots of purple in stem at 7 weeks) into the zamal leaning zamaldelica pheno and hopefully keep clones of the parents as well. the smoke reports on zamal/hz are ridiculous. dubi says the zamal and phz lines both offer superb breeding potential.

High idiit,

Gerrit's Zamal is what we consider as semi auto flowering genetics, this kind of traits are not very common to find in tropical sativas, but relative easy to find in fast flowering landraces like lebanese or moroccans. It could be a pain in the ass to keep this kind of genetics alive for long term in the mother room, they need lot of light intensity, very high photoperiods and continously cut the undesired flowered parts to let the other branches to grow up. If they lack of root space they will auto flower even more. My recommendation to re new semi auto flowering mums is to place a clone outdoors in a very sunny place in mid-late spring, let her grow for more than 1 month till she produce vigorous non flowered stems again and then keep clones from this less flowered tops again back to the mother room. Hope it helps

PD: Im glad you found the early Golden Tiger pheno, is a good one ;)

Last edited:

Terpene

Veteran
Hello Terpene,
Looking nice in early flowering :) Are you flowering only with LEDS or mixed with HPS ?
This outdoor sativa genetics really need strong light intensity and im not sure today's LEDs have the enough punch to achieve the best results indoors, mixing LEDS with HPS will be great! Im not an expert on the matter but i think LEDs are good to avoid stretching in the first weeks of flowering cos the lower temps of the lamp and its spectrum although you can always expect strong stretching growing this kind of genetics indoors. Best wishes!

I am only using a 240w (3w chipset) Blackstar LED. I flowered the previous zamal under the same light and the thai/zamal pheno was under 2 500w (3w) LEDs.

I expect them to be about the same under the 240w as results under a 4-600w HPS.

I didn't trust LED at first. I ran a CFL array I had constructed which held about 1200umol at the canopy, but was a real pain in the ass to work with as I had to work to maintain a perfectly flat scrog. I had a friend who wanted to get started buy some 500w LEDs to see how well they worked / covered and he blew away my results on his first grow - so I realized it was time to switch. Here's a shot of the old array.
picture.php

I know LEDs have failed many in the past, but the newer 3w chipsets are so bright I've actually burned plants from light intensity - ESPECIALLY with the 500s. Initially we placed the plants directly under the LEDs and it turned them white. Here's a shot of a light meter during the first days:
picture.php

That's a Umol meter, not a lumen meter. I get the same reading in the middle of July at noon outside. For reference, July in the bright shade is 1000umol. At 2k+, the plant's leaves "crispy-ed" up and dried out, the tops of the buds turned white (despite very low temps) - you could tell they were not enjoying themselves. Since then I've pulled the lights back to similar levels as 600-1000hps readings (800-1200Umol) and had far better results. The 240w isn't quite as strong as the 500w Blackstar units, but it pretty neatly covers just shy of a square meter at about 850umol.

Terpene

Veteran
picture.php

Here's my slightly more african/malawi leaning pheno of the two.. stacking away 7 weeks in.

Blaz3

Does Gotham make good tents?..are their LEDS good quality..Gotham led vs htgsupply led..htg supply also make 3w models...

High idiit,

Gerrit's Zamal is what we consider as semi auto flowering genetics, this kind of traits are not very common to find in tropical sativas, but relative easy to find in fast flowering landraces like lebanese or moroccans. It could be a pain in the ass to keep this kind of genetics alive for long term in the mother room, they need lot of light intensity, very high photoperiods and continously cut the undesired flowered parts to let the other branches to grow up. If they lack of root space they will auto flower even more. My recommendation to re new semi auto flowering mums is to place a clone outdoors in a very sunny place in mid-late spring, let her grow for more than 1 month till she produce vigorous non flowered stems again and then keep clones from this less flowered tops again back to the mother room. Hope it helps

Don't want to highjack the thread just wanted input on the auto topic.Never had an auto in house but have never seen these kind of preflowers,both in quanity and size on a week old cutting(s). Cuttings taken from gals(seedlings) in veg under 24 hour lighting.Cutting taken from cloner about a week ago and under shop floro's 24hrs per day.No intersex three weeks in flower on all Z's,all female.
Any thoughts?
https://www.icmag.com/ic/member.php?u=242989
Terpene, Thanks for this thread, it gave me the courage to give these gals a run inside,all my best :)

Attachments

• 1 baby rodnette
    1 baby rodnette
    80.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3427.JPG
    IMG_3427.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3428.JPG
    IMG_3428.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3429.JPG
    IMG_3429.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 39

jayjayfrank

Veteran
i have not seen interesexed traits in my zamaldelica, however, it was pollinated. i am not sure about an auto trait, she seems to be happily revegging after 3 weeks in the veg tent. a long veg in a small container in a low wattage environment may not be sufficient for such a long flowering land race sativa? in a one gallon container, once flowering did 'ramp up' she took off. she preformed well, holding on to her, hope to run her outside(35 north)

sprout

Hey folks, I have a zamaldelica growing outdoors. Planted late June, it really struggled for quite a while. I must have done something to stunt it, but it's really perked up over the last couple weeks. It's still only about two feet tall, but beginning to branch out and show her lady bits!
I'm wondering if she will finish, being pretty late in the season. I'm in n. Cali, and we usually have pretty good weather up until november. I might transplant her to my raised bed veggie garden, where I could rig up a cold frame of sorts.

Terpene

Veteran
Here are some new shots of the spindly thai-african and the african pheno just shy of 10 weeks..

Thai-african: notice the structure of the plant is less columnar and more individual buds, more thai-haze looking.
picture.php

African: big long colas and a ton of continual stretch. Ignore the ugly leaves at the top, its been VERY hot here and they have been hating me for it.
picture.php

picture.php

Hazed

Thanks man, your doing a great job with them gals!
Hard to keep em picture perfect with outdoor 35% RH and hot as heck huh. Just opening the door to the grow room is painful this time of year.
Keep up the good work bro!..Hazed

S

scai

Soooo!

I seem to have two phenos too.
Two of my zamaldelicas are doing yellow pistils, (very wispy growth), tall and one is doing white pistils.More compact, broader leaves.

Mind you, I have to say, Zamaldelicas are winners.
I'm very satisfield they way to grow, fast, nice, easy to take seedlings.

I only dip seedling to Clonex and then straight to soil, and they never fail! Very vigorous, very fast (when you think, sativa)

35088e3bd989da6108fc695b79b6e8d6_935954.jpg

Behind, straight in the middle are Zamaldelicas, tallest one is sativa from Kamboza (donated by friend who went there) But the next tallest one is Zam, thai pheno and on the right side is pheno with white pistils, little bit shorter. Bushier.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
High Terpene,

Your pheno description is quite accurate, next 3 weeks are going to be very interesting! :) Hope the temps are not so problematic lately!

Latest posts

Latest posts