What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone Collect Gems or Minerals??

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
I dunno took a few pics tonight..interested to see if there are any other gem or mineral collectors out there?

Smokey Quartz, with Spessartine Garnets, China
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

M

mSeTxOiNcEaRn

Very cool, i havent begun my collection yet, mainly because i hav no room right now.
I love rutilated quartz, its like a cheaper demantoid garnet with the horsetail wisps, although not green and not as cool, or rare :D

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
Some Blue and Purple Fluorite, w/ quartz inclusions, I found @ the tailings of the Sweet Home Mine, in Alma, ..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

M

mSeTxOiNcEaRn

Very pretty!

4 cleavage directions? Very soft too? I cant remember lol

Ive wanted to go visit a mine but am always turned off by the idea that i may not find crap lol

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
YEp and Yep..It's actually pretty easy to find stuff if you research into where you're going to go...

Here's some Bi-Colored Tourmaline,from Pakistan..

picture.php

picture.php

Andyo

Veteran
mostly feldspar and granites of every kind

mostly feldspar and granites of every kind

Ive always enjoyed hunting minerals ect .
lots of granite here in my area of thailand ,
lost my whole collection in uk bust but with a bit of research i can start again fancy i will prefer to find it myself .

Phedrosbenny

Trying to have a good day
Veteran
Very ineresting collection.Sounds like it would be a cool hobby for me and my son.He is still a little feller,so he loves to collect rocks and sticks.Thanks for showing me this.And a very beautiful collection.Mother Nature is a wonderful artist isnt she.

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
Quartz w/ drusy Amethyst and Purple Fluorite, China

Quartz w/ drusy Amethyst and Purple Fluorite, China

Here's another one..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
Here's a few pieces of quartz..

Elestial Rose/smokey Quartz, Brazil

picture.php

picture.php

Growth interference Quartz, Russia

picture.php

picture.php

joeking

I have always been drawn to tourmaline, mostly watermelon, but most any will do;) i remember when I first started collecting, the Sweet Home mine was producing some beautiful minerals...OMG!!1

Anyhoo, that was many girlfriends ago, it seems like when they dip, they take more than they come with:(

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
Awesome colention man.
Those are beautifull :thank you::artist:
I found some cristal at home recently. Nothing special.
It now sits on my PC desk.

picture.php

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
My, how come i haven't seen this before !

Funkfingers, that's a very nice brazilian quartz you have here, I like the color very much. Is it the same in person ?

I happen to collect minerals & gemstones (beside trying to make a living out of them...), here a few pieces, some from my personnal collection, some not.

Hematite from Pakistan

Ruby from Afghanistan

Anatase from Baluchistan

Color-change sodalite var. hackmanite from Afghanistan

Emerald from Swat, Pakistan

Clinohumite & Spinel from Afghan-Tajik border

Emerald from Pakistan

Come on people, share your goodies !

Irie !

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Here a few gems from my personnal collection

Topazes

From left to right, starting upper left corner : Russia, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, Russia, Brazil, Russia, Brazil, Zimbabwe, Pakistan, Russia

Garnets

From left to right, starting upper left corner :
- Hessonite from Eden Mills, Vermont, USA (2x)
- Pyrope from Ant Hill from Arizona (rough gems are brought up to the surface by ants)
- Spessartite from Amelia, Virginia
- Hessonite from Spain
- Pyrope from Bohemia
- Grossular (Rosalite) from Mexico (2x)
- Color-Change from Bekily, Madagascar (blue color, very rare)
- Topazolite from Urals
- Demantoid from Urals
- Green grossular from Bajaur, Pakistan
- Tsavorite from Tsavo park, Kenya

Beryls

From left to right, starting upper left corner :

- Green beryl fro Malishevo, Russia
- Aquamarine from Mozambique
- Goshenite from Urals
- Aquamarine from Burma
- Sunstone Beryl from Madagascar
- Aquamarine from Pakistan (x2)
- Green beryl from Brazil
- Emerald from Brazil
- Heliodor from Tajikistan (x2)
- Heliodor from Ukraine
- Morganite from Pala mine, California

Irie !

Last edited:

GR8FUL1

Those are some sweet stones mriko.Did you cut those or cbuy them already faceted?I have a fair amount of opal rough that I will someday cut(one of many hobbies).I have a wide assortment of agate slabs and some petrified wood also.I'll be back with pics once I get used to my new camera.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Thanks GR8FUL1, I bought them already facetted, some in pakistan but most on ebay (I sure couldn't afford it otherwise !).
Hmmm, opal, I love opals ! Started my mineral collection with some from Ethiopia, I like a lot those form Virgin Valley as well !
I also have a nice amount of different rough materials for cutting and I intent to learn facetting gemstones, hopefully I'll do my first steps within a year or so.

Irie !

303hydro

senior primate of the 303 cornbread mafia
Veteran
Here's a couple pieces-

Citrine.... Stick this one in the piggy bank.....
picture.php

This next piece is very debatable. Some say it's actually a form of petrified bamboo. It is definitely a beautiful piece, and was not cheap.
picture.php

G

GOOROO

saw that bamboo at the tuscon show this year.

I am an absolute freak for fluorite and opal. Have over 50 specimens from all over the world of just fluorite alone. Some of my favorite are from africa, and then the classic rogerly fluorite.

gotta love those gems...

got a 23g chunk of moldavite and a bunch of smaller pieces of besednice.

justablunttool

Australia has the worlds best opal, also many other gems. I lived and mined sapphires at Central Queensland Gemfields for over 20 years. Some of the largest sapphires in the world came from there. It is a very tourist friendly area, and you can dig your own stones there for the cost of a fossicking licence, $6.80 a month. Tourists do find some very good stones in shallow wash, even on the surface. Some of the best remaining ground is set aside for tourists in fossicking areas, some of which are enormous. The gemfields is almost 900sq km in area situated on tropic of capricorn 300km inland from Rockhampton. It also has the largest gem show in the southern hemisphere www.gemfest.com.au. You can also find opals at Yowah which also has fossicking areas. Where else in the world can you go out in the bush and dig your own gems legally?

Latest posts

Latest posts