What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are they really sativas?

Treevly

Tropical sativas - which is what we are talking about - are by nature long finishing compared to indicas. It is the nature of the beast.

Middle East sativas are altogether different, ie. Lebanese hash plant which is pure landrace sativa, and finishes in time comparable to many indicas.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The one I linked to in my OP....
Like the whole basis for this discussion and the reason I started the thread...
here it is again

Note that the only name that they concluded was pure sativa was Dr. Grinspoon .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMYqLb-iOJU&t=1s

The red bars at the left were the actual percent as I read it. So Nevil's Haze and SSH were 100 % as well. The top 7 strains were pure. I have my doubts on that but oh well.

I am supposed to have some Grinspoon coming btw. Can not wait. It looks pure sativa no doubt or the old version did. Have heard they added indica lately.:moon:

CannaZen

Tropical sativas - which is what we are talking about - are by nature long finishing compared to indicas. It is the nature of the beast.

Middle East sativas are altogether different, ie. Lebanese hash plant which is pure landrace sativa, and finishes in time comparable to many indicas.

In the tropics it is evergreen which allows the plant to put that metabolism into producing a tree sized plant but here we also have small sized sativa plants, just as well. I mean its the same species, the true classification of that distinction is derived from hybridizing separate segregation of varietals. Highly abstract that thought, i know well that proportionately they share many of the very same genes because they share the very same metabolism if not for the total allele frequency of its genome not shaped for growing to tropical sized sativa trees. Noticeably metabolism not only just influences propensity of terpenoid expression. Got it?

You know what is interesting is the ruderalis 'subspecies' parallel distinction between indica and sativa, at the tropics when does photoperiod initialize flowering? Because you know i have heard about "pure" indica plants having "semi" autoflowering tendancies in the tropics and i find the parallel really interesting regarding the thread topic. Ruderalis is a so called subspecies we have today that is said to have descended originally from russian hemp where daylight cycles can be 24 hours a day.

Last edited:

CaptainDankness

The one I linked to in my OP....
Like the whole basis for this discussion and the reason I started the thread...
here it is again

Note that the only name that they concluded was pure sativa was Dr. Grinspoon .

You're not going to find many pure Sativa's, shit even South American strains where probably hybrids. Cannabis is not native to the Americas and we had knowledge of breeding before we landed in the Americas.

The Spanish traveled all around, God knows what kind of genetics. Closest on the Silk Road was basically Afghanistan that's thousands of years ago, we definitely found sativa too but it ain't growing too good in Europe.

I'd bet money a lot of the old school Columbian, Mexican etc. Had Afghan in it we clearly spread cannabis all over the Americas and I highly doubt it was all pure sativa. I guarantee the climate changed the plants genetics a lot as well.

Then you look at Jamaica, they don't have a pure sativa on that island. Lol, of course someone might have bought DR. Grinspoon. Lol

I really don't think it matters so much on Indica and sativa you just need the right cannabinoid profile and terpines and it might as well be pure sativa imo.

LostTribe

Premium user
I've been trying to find a pure sativa to grow that doesn't take forever to finish. There are many strains that I'm encountering listed as sativas or pure sativas that have flowering times in the 8-9 week range and I'm wondering if it's at all possible that these are truly pure Sativas.

Here's a news report from the CBC (Canadian network) that highlights the mislabeling of strains and seems to indicate the only pure sativas they could find were Dr. Grinspoon, Neville's Haze and SSH (doesn't that one have NL in it??)

So I ask you all...which pure sativas are you aware of that don't take 12-16 weeks to finish that you think really are sativas?

Along the same lines, how do you think it's possible that Mango Tango, listed as 70/30 indica dominant hybrid won best Sativa flower at the SoCal HTCC 2015? Is Mango Tango a Sativa or an indica dominant hybrid? Could the cup entry have been particular pheno that was more sativa than most MangoTango?

I'm inclined to think that most of these strains are actually indicas or hybrids that people call sativas if they find the high uplifting rather than couchlock...

Thoughts?

You won't find a pure sativa that will finish in under 12 weeks. Its not going to happen. Anything quicker has at least a bit of indica bred in.

Doc G, Nevils and SSH all have Northern in them. Once you experience a real true full on Sativa you will understand.

ACE Old-timers Purple Haze @ 133 days 11/13 took to 144 days.
picture.php

Many quicker Sativa's offered by ACE like Panama, Malawi, Golden Tiger, Many others. Some able to finish around 11 weeks depending on the particular plant. Panama is nice smoke and Zam is the SHIT!

Thcvhunter

Veteran
You won't find a pure sativa that will finish in under 12 weeks. Its not going to happen. Anything quicker has at least a bit of indica bred in.

Doc G, Nevils and SSH all have Northern in them. Once you experience a real true full on Sativa you will understand.

ACE Old-timers Purple Haze @ 133 days 11/13 took to 144 days.
View Image

Many quicker Sativa's offered by ACE like Panama, Malawi, Golden Tiger, Many others. Some able to finish around 11 weeks depending on the particular plant. Panama is nice smoke and Zam is the SHIT!

Only the Sith think in absolutes.

Ive grown a pure sativa landrace that finished in late July at 38°N
Ive grown pure Afghan that finished November.

And several members have been banned for revealing the truth about ACE genetics and how polluted their “landraces” are.
So lets not parade ACE as a source for any pure sativa.

burningfire

Veteran
Only the Sith think in absolutes.

Ive grown a pure sativa landrace that finished in late July at 38°N
Ive grown pure Afghan that finished November.

And several members have been banned for revealing the truth about ACE genetics and how polluted their “landraces” are.
So lets not parade ACE as a source for any pure sativa.

who?

I never get the feeling that they advertise "PURE" genetics, they have some worked lines and less worked lines but they are pretty transparent about the composition of their lines.

for all the crap you talk about them you still participate in their forums.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
who?

I never get the feeling that they advertise "PURE" genetics, they have some worked lines and less worked lines but they are pretty transparent about the composition of their lines.

for all the crap you talk about them you still participate in their forums.

Flaming/Trolling: Flames are posts intended to insult and provoke. Any Member engaging another Member/Moderator or Administrator with gratuitous, insulting and/or threatening behavior will be subject to being banned or placement on site wide ignore. ICMag encourages civil and respectful discourse between it's members and staff but has to curtail those that attempt to turn an argument into a fight. There is an 'ignore' option in every members control panel who find themselves in a personality conflict with another member. Personal grudges have no place on ICMag

Last edited by a moderator:

thejact55

...or you could grow a "sativa" and be patient. Some rewards take a little patience. Ive grown sinai many times, and it finishes quick, and not a down high. Lebanese has a fair amount of cbd, and a mild high in my experience, but also quick. Chitral (real) has some NLD traits and some WLD traits, flowering times vary heavily too.

If you go hunting with the normal suspects for a sativa that finishes quick, well most the time youll be let down, those arent "sativas", whatever that really means to some degree. Put in the 12-20 weeks it takes and get the reward. Cutting corners makes for less than stellar results.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Flaming/Trolling: Flames are posts intended to insult and provoke. Any Member engaging another Member/Moderator or Administrator with gratuitous, insulting and/or threatening behavior will be subject to being banned or placement on site wide ignore. ICMag encourages civil and respectful discourse between it's members and staff but has to curtail those that attempt to turn an argument into a fight. There is an 'ignore' option in every members control panel who find themselves in a personality conflict with another member. Personal grudges have no place on ICMag

GN,
How much do I need to pay to the server fund to not have my posts deleted?

For most people asking this question, they should find a fast flowering 'up' effect plant and take it down earlyish.

'sativa' to me is a flavor/cannabinoids question. The ones that are unique to long flowering plants are usually different than short flowering plants.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I admire anyone with the patience to do a 14+ week Sativa.I have been looking for some of Bushmans Ciskei to try as I read some posts in one of the forums suggesting that it is well worth growing.I don't really mind a small trade-off to be able to get a predominately Sativa affect in 10-11 weeks.I'd like to try that Panama@Ace's...so maybe I'll get to that one also before my time on this earth is up.

RoosterGrows

I saw Bangi Haze recommended earlier in the thread, but in my experience, Bangi Haze does not have the stimulant effect you seek. Also, I had one herm on me, but the flowers were apparently sterile, as nothing in that room ended up seeded.

Just my $0.02.

Latest posts

Latest posts