What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Filtration medias used to lighten extracts?

Hey I have recently seen pics comparing extracts (slabs) with one being normal and the other being filtered which was much lighter in color. Can anyone please explain what exactly is this filter media. Thank you

Rico Swazi

I think I know exactly what you're talking about. :tiphat:

It involves filtering your extract with with Activated carbon and Diatomaceous earth (DE).

Check this out.

Polishing Dark Extracts: Carbon Scrubbing & Diatomaceous Earth (DE) Filtering

Thanks for the link! Great diy info on how to make DE filter cake and carbon scrubber. nice one troutman

My question is sans vacuum pump, would a venturi have enough oomph to do the job? ( i've seen bicycle pumps reversed to create a vac also)
if not practical, perhaps a link to a inexpensive vacuum pump?

troutman

Seed Whore
Thanks for the link! Great diy info on how to make DE filter cake and carbon scrubber. nice one troutman

My question is sans vacuum pump, would a venturi have enough oomph to do the job? ( i've seen bicycle pumps reversed to create a vac also)
if not practical, perhaps a link to a inexpensive vacuum pump?

They do have hand vacuum pumps if you're willing to pump away manually on a small scale
until you get a mechanical vacuum pump. To find what I'm talking about just Google:

Lab Hand-held Vacuum Pump,Handle Vacuum Pressure Suction Pumps,Max 550mm Hg:tiphat:

Rico Swazi

Sweet! thank you

now I need to find the best bundled price on a pump, Büchner funnel and vacuum constriction device :biggrin: