What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Size of fan and filter? (1.87x2 feet)

stuggy123

Hi guys

I just need help with a couple of things before my setup is complete. I hope you guys can help a noob.

My grow room is: 57 cm. (1.87 feet) x 61 cm. (2 feet) x 120 cm. (3.4 feet).
ft²: 3,74.

The plan is to buy an oversized fan and dial it down as I want my grow room to be as silent as possible.
The fan will be placed in an insulated fan box. I will hang this fan box inside another bigger box which I place on top of my grow room. Does that make sense? [FONT=&quot]😊[/FONT]

Then the 4 x cobs LED (cxm22) and carbon filter will be inside the grow room with the plants.

Here comes the first question: is the size of the fan okay?
Solerpalau TD-500/150-160 SILENT. 550 m3/h (323 CFM).

It seems like this fan is very quiet which is why it seems interesting. I’m going to make a variac fan speed controller, so I can dial down the oversized fan down as I want no hum/noise. The fan is not going to run at full blast, perhaps at 40 % speed if that’s possible.

And the second question: how big should the filter be?

I am confused since I chose an oversized fan which is not going to run at full speed.
Which one of these carbon filters should I chose?
CarboAir 50 Carbon Filter 100/330mm 410m3/hr (241 CMF)
CarboAir 50 Carbon Filter 125/330mm 480m3/hr (282 CFM)
CarboAir 50 Carbon Filter 150/330mm 600m3/hr (353 CFM)

Thanks

Stuggy

snel

Stugy, then carboair filters are excellent. Pull through real easy.
Honestly in room that size you’d be fine with a 4inch filter and fan. Like an rvk. If you want to dial it down or future proof maybe 5imch fan. IMO that TD fan is overkill and massive size wise.

Get a variac fan controller either way so you can dial the fan right down if needs be.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
You don't need as 6" fan. It's overkill. for 60 total exchanges an hour (all losses taking into effect) which is 2888CFH. Your area is 123.71 ft3 not 3.74 ft2. A 150CFM is more than sufficient and, if you want a little buffer zone, get a 190CFM. Anything above that is a waste of money IMHO. A 150 CFM = 9000CFH whilst a 190 = 11400 CFH, both available in 4 inch.

stuggy123

Thanks for your answers both of you. I guess I went a little overboard :D
They have a model called TD-350/125 SILENT. Is that one more acceptable? 350m3/h (206 CFM). I know it’s more than 190CFM. But perhaps it’s close enough? :p considering I will be able to adjust the fan from 40-100%.
Thanks again once again. I can’t wait to finish this project

stuggy123

I'm considering making the grow room 10 cm higher so the dimensions will be:

57 cm. (1.87 feet) x 61 cm. (2 feet) x 130 cm. (4.26 feet) in order to make the fan (216 CFM) fit the room a little bit better . Would that make sense?

stuggy123

I mean 206 CFM not 216CFM :...in order to make the fan (206 CFM) fit the room a little bit better . Would that make sense? :)

chronosync

Well-stoned member
I got a Ac Infinity Cloudline T4 which I'm using to vent a 12cf mini tent with a 4" carbon scrubber. Fan is rated at 205cfm and its really quiet, especially since I only need to run it at around 3 (out of 8 speeds) The fan is more than I need but I can still get it in range for this little tent. I'd say around 200cfm is about right for your (what 16cf?) space.

Its a nice fan and very quiet, its got some pull to it so like they say you hear the air moving more than the fan working. Seems to be the case here.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
I'm considering making the grow room 10 cm higher so the dimensions will be:

57 cm. (1.87 feet) x 61 cm. (2 feet) x 130 cm. (4.26 feet) in order to make the fan (216 CFM) fit the room a little bit better . Would that make sense?

having more height is always good, especially since you have lateral constraints. If you're not going to miss the extra vert space it takes up you definitely will appreciate having it if you need it

stuggy123

Okay. Thank you :)

yes exactly 15.9. if i add those extra inches/cm's. I think i'm going to do that then I also have a little bit more height to work with. It seems like it will work with the last fan i mentioned (206 CFM).

And the best thing would be to choose the smallest filter right? : CarboAir 50 Carbon Filter 100/330mm (241 CFM)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Even though im going to dial down the fan?:) I also have this option which is a little big bigger: CarboAir 50 Carbon Filter 125/330mm (282 CFM)

:tiphat:
FWIW I am running a 190 in a 3x3x6ft tent, dialed down. The numbers I have provided you with are for 60 exchanges an hr, normal 25-30 exchanges an hour. The fudge factor has already been figured out , no need to add an additional fudge factor. BTW I run the same fan and filter combo in my veg tent. 2x2x3ft. 190CFM was/is the smallest I could get my hands on. 1/3 power in veg, while the one fitted in the flower room operates between 1/3 to 1/2 power.

190CFM = 11400CFH
Veg tent = 900CFH (25 exch) 1080CFH (30 exch) and 2160CFH (60 exch)
Flower = 4050CFH, 4860CFH, and 9720CFH

stuggy123

Thanks so much. You guys are awesome.

I'm gonna buy the 206 cfm fan, and the 241 cfm filter :)

lol I don't think people will believe it is a speaker anymore since the dimensions are pretty big now. The other box i'm going to place on the top of the grow room is going to be a fake amp where i hang the fan inside in a smaller insulated box

Btw, can you confirm if it's okay to choose the largest size of phonic trap ducting I can fit between the filter and fan, and from the fan--> exhaust.
I'm thinking 8 inch or even bigger?

Latest posts

Latest posts