What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THC testing in legal states-Really?

G

GatorGumbo

Yea, dank to me basically means it smells like weed, a lot. I think "loud" is the new way of saying dank in the old way. A bit of crossover between the two I imagine, if that makes sense, and I'm not wrong. Pop culture is so finicky.

Having developed a taste for it from before we had these designer flavour and colour cuts that get passed around so much, I don't especially care. It's just nice to have options.

In any case, THC testing is bunk in my opinion. Even when they get the numbers correct.

EvergreenState

To follow up on what has already been reported, I have a recent experience that confirms what has already been reported by others.
I recented purchased a $60 an ounce green crack and 2 one gram packages of Sour Diesel for $20.
The Green Crack was in a glass jar and it looked pretty good. I didn't expect much at $60 an ounce and what I bought didn't disappoint that much. It was actually worse than I expected and it might be ok when used as edibles. It looked good but had very little odor.
The Sour Diesel was like 2 different stories. Both grams had a nice fragrance, the more potent one had more fragrance than the other. One gram was just ok but nothing special and the other gram smelled great and was very potent. Both packages were exactly the same and both have exactly the same lab numbers printed on the back.
picture.php
picture.php

EvergreenState

I looked up the grower of the Green Crack online. The site doesn't show the Green Crack as being part of their, Life Connected series any longer and it also doesn't show my retailer as a retailer with which they do business.
My guess is that the Green Crack I bought was old, the grower doesn't grow it any longer and my retailer no longer buys from this grower.
Like everything else, you get what you pay for. It was $60 an ounce for good reasons; old stock the didn't sell well, the retailer and the grower no longer do business together and the retailer needed to get something out of it. It could also be that it always sucked and that's why it didn't sell well.
It probably was decent when it was fresh but my guess is that it's old. Still looks great and smokes smoothly, taste is a little hayish and it's weak.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Yeah the numbers are bogus which is saying something considering it is mandated. Price may be a better indicator of quality/potency. Or it's last year's crop. They could send in the frostiest bud from an entire grow. There is no third party ranking or quality control that I am aware of. It is the same industry printing all of the labels. It is possible to tell as a user without a calibrated lab instrument. % are inaccurate. Also the effect may be muddy or compromised with some hybrids bred for resin content. Flood of commercial mids has its own effect on the recent market.

In general I wouldn't trust what is written on labels. The user experience I guess you could say matches up with or reinforces that.

for reference the listed % on the buds on the bottom row are 14, 19, 32. Untested bud is at least at strong as the so called 1/3 cannabinoid bud which cost $45 1/8 before tax.

EvergreenState

Just smoked a nice bud from my Green Crack jar and I have to admit, it's damn nice. So it looks like, much more than I'm used to, a lot of variation in this jar. I'm glad I didn't write off the whole jar as medible quality only and that I gave it another shot. I'd already smoked it on 4 other occasions and I didn't really enjoy it but this bud today is killer. Pleasantly surprised and if at least half the jar is this good, I got a great deal.:woohoo:

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
People have a different tolerance. In California there will be some users different than Indiana for example. As much excitement there may be for a legal market I have not found any memorable stuff from yesteryear. Commercially grown is it's own thing entirely like someone else said new schwag or dirt weed. This quality is representative of what has been available for years. Not exactly what I would call top shelf or personal smoke, instead common everyday. Chemicals only make it worse.

G

People have a different tolerance. In California there will be some users different than Indiana for example. As much excitement there may be for a legal market I have not found any memorable stuff from yesteryear. Commercially grown is it's own thing entirely like someone else said new schwag or dirt weed. This quality is representative of what has been available for years. Not exactly what I would call top shelf or personal smoke, instead common everyday. Chemicals only make it worse.

My ass. I got some Hoosier Headbanger courtesy of Karma that will line up all day long.

EvergreenState

This whole, buying from retail marijuana shops thing, is new to me. I always grow my own and loved it, so I never bothered with the retail stores. Well once in a blue moon I'd get something that was supposed to be new and hot, so I'd give it a try but 99% of the time I'd smoke my stuff.
So I'm learning as I go along and I'm like a politician flip flopping on what I feel about this retail stuff. I really want it to be good and I want to like it so I think I'm biased to look favorably on this stuff.
So I went to a retailer the other day and I told the budtender that I wanted top shelf and recent stock. So she shows me several different jars from, what she said, was one of the best growers and the stuff came in two days earlier. So I picked up a 1/4 of this strain. It looked fantastic and smelled great.
I was eager to get it home and fire it up. I've now smoked an eighth of it and my feeling is that it's OK, nothing special. It is obviously well grown. Looks far better than anything I've grown. Smells beautiful, tastes nice but god damn it, it doesn't deliver.
It puzzling to me because I think this grower got everything out of this strain. Pure speculation of course because there are so many factors that go into the final product. The grower maybe didn't feed it enough, maybe it wasn't cured properly or at all, the storage and handling could be off.
What makes me think the grower maximized the strain is that it looks so beautiful. No signs at all of over feeding or under feeding. No signs of fungal or insect damage. The buds are beautiful, dense, heavy trichome coverage, proper dryness, it's all there.
It's beautiful but I don't know how this bud was handled from start to the final product I bought; so I can't say for sure if something might have affected the final product adversely. There are definitely no signs visually or from the fragrance that anything is wrong with it. The only conclusion I can come to, based on the limited information I have, is bad breeding.
I see this all the time. New, popular strains crossed together that just don't work. I see it as faddish, trendy behavior. I can see the thinking of the breeder: This strain is popular, that strain is popular, so if I mix together the final product would be awesome.
It's very simplistic thinking that only long term, selective breeding can cure. The thinking that 2 strains that are awesome will come together and automatically make a strain that will have the best qualities of both strains is assuming a lot. This new mix of all the different terpenes from the two different strains can actually make something worse than the two original parents and that never seems to cross these breeders minds.
Honestly though I don't think those thoughts ever come into those breeders minds. I think they are solely going after the cool, trendy thing and it appears that remaining relevant or cool is their main goal. Relevancey is important to a business but you can remain relevant with sustained excellence too. Serious Seeds is a fine example of that.
The new breeders remind me of car manufacturers who feel they have to come out with new, hot models every year. Many car manufacturers don't seem to realize that refining existing models and making improvements on those models by correcting flaws or making sure they worked through all the bugs in models before they are introduced, would be a better way of getting and keeping customers.
This new marijuana industry seems to have lost the art of the old breeders. I love the story DJ Short tells about how he judges a strain. He works on it and works on it until he gets something he thinks is good and rather than ship samples off to the lab to get a bunch of numbers, he takes it to a party and passes it around and then he looks around to see if people seem to be having a good time. Laughing, talking and generally just enjoying themselves. If that happens he knows he has a winner. Breeders need to shift their priorities from numbers and temporary, simplistic faddishness or trendyness to observing people to see if their strains improve the quality of people's lives.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

G

GatorGumbo

Fat chance it was grown to full potential. It takes many growing cycles to know a strain in and out to where you can nail it every time. Those two strains are known for being especially high in THC, they should have been noticeably potent.

Cups are won on smell and bag appeal anymore, not effect. It's not in the rules, but that's how it has been for a while now it seems. The fad has naturally translated to the popular cannabis market. Grow houses either go bare minimum or full tilt on resources and nutrients given to the plant, neither of which will ever grow every strain to nearly it's full potential. Growing is an art of balance, and growing the best weed humanly possible is not easy for any outfit if they have a revolving door of strains. I'd say growers who actually breed their own stock are an infinitesimally small portion of the market, I can think of only one off the top of my head right now.

EvergreenState

Great post Gator. What surprised me again with my two new 1/8th ounce jars of the same strain is once again, variability. One 1/8th had several medium to small size buds and the smoke was ok.
The second jar had one big bud and a few medium sized buds. The big bud was more potent and an improvement over anything in the first jar. It was probably an upper bud and the plant it came from, may have been positioned more directly under a light.
Who knows though? The grower probably grew quite a few of those plants, harvested them all at the same time and probably dried them in big batches. It's more than likely that I got buds from many different plants.
This is the second time I got a great deal of variability in the buds of the same strain but in different jars. It appears that that you never really know what you are getting. It's a real crap shoot so far.
I'm lucky in that I can sample products from two different states that have retail maijuana stores all over the place and they use many different growers. I'm hoping I can find more consistency and better quality. I think if I can find a grower that does good work, I can look for their products and hopefully find consistent quality.

EvergreenState

I just put one of the new buds under the scope and all of the trichs are clear. It was harvested early and if it was harvested early I bet there wasn't much of a cure either.

G

GatorGumbo

Yea, they chop the whole things all on schedule I bet. Then they are treated as batches and all mixed up along the way. Not all places harvest on a strict schedule, but I can't think of any that I've seen which isolates parts of their batches. Larger scale doesn't always mean lower quality, but half the people toking dispo weed probably can't tell a dandelion from a hole in the ground so the market exists for them too.

I don't mean to talk shit on dispo weed, it's not bad really. Usually way better than any street bag I ever got, maybe still not cured but at least it's always dry enough and I don't have to deal with a bunch of BS to buy it. I can grow better shit in my sleep just by harvesting at the right time and not making basic mistakes if I know the strain, but first time running something the dispo supplier might very well grow better smoke than I do. It kinda reminds me of the Bruce Lee quote, though: “I fear not the man who has practised ten thousand kicks once, but I fear the man who has practised one kick ten thousand times”.

EvergreenState

Just smoked a fantastic bud from the second 1/8th jar of Sour Alien Dawg. Hit and miss. When it's good it's really good :peacock:but it's not consistent.:frown: