What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THC Good, CBD Bad

therevverend

Veteran
The ganja I like has high THC, no CBD. Has the psychedelic effect I like. The more CBD it becomes less psychedelic, more of a buzz. I like THC with a body effect but CBD has a body high that's enjoyable. I've never used straight CBD without THC so I should say CBD plus THC. But that's me, we all have different brain chemistry and want different things out of cannabis, there's no right or wrong. That's what's great about the plant, it's a different medicine for many different people.

I believe nature's real and original cannabis had more CBD than THC. At least in North America. The CBD is a THC antagonist and 'calms' the THC buzz. It seems that Mother Nature designed like that on purpose.

I think the high THC strains we have today are more a byproduct of man's tinkering.

I'm not sure about equatorial strains and the Afghan area stuff. That may have originally been higher in THC than CBD.

The closer to the north pole you get the lower the THC levels and the CBD becomes higher, 10:1 CBD is possible for early flowering types in Midwest America and Europe. As you get closer to the equator in SE Asia and India for instance the ratio switches so you find wild or feral types with 10:1 THC. So high THC low CBD or vice versa is possible in basically 'wild' cannabis. I'm not sure about Afghan strains it's been postulated that the couchlock high is from large amounts of CBD. The ones I've grown tend to be high THC hardly any CBD. The effects of CBD, lessening the intensity of the THC high, don't sound like the classic knockout Afghan stone. My thinking is that large amounts of potent THC will end up knocking you out in the end, and couchlock you because you're so damn high. I don't understand why researchers haven't worked out why Afghan plants are different then other strains. I feel like some of the very clear, cerebral stuff people talk about, especially from Africa and Jamaica, may have some CBD.

But these aren't comparable to the really potent stuff people have bred. That's selective breeding and it's been going on for a long, long time. The cannabis found in northwestern China at burial sites was found to be high THC low CBD even though it was a hemp strain that should have been the opposite. Which means people 2500 years ago were breeding for high amounts of THC.

I think the fact that people are breeding all these high CBD strains kinda ridiculous after trying to breed them out of the genepool for decades. They can keep their ditch weed.

I know what you mean, I keep high CBD pollen well away from my plants, but the high CBD strains aren't really ditchweed. Feral hemp is less then 5% CBD, usually around 1%. The high CBD strains are over 10% and much more efficient for making extracts. In China for instance, they're still making their CBD extracts from their hemp crops but as acceptance of the medical uses of cannabis grows we'll be seeing a big demand for high CBD genetics. Breeding strains for really high CBD would be a clever move if someone was looking to make big cash in the seed market.

YukonKronic

The ganja I like has high THC, no CBD. Has the psychedelic effect I like. The more CBD it becomes less psychedelic, more of a buzz. I like THC with a body effect but CBD has a body high that's enjoyable. I've never used straight CBD without THC so I should say CBD plus THC. But that's me, we all have different brain chemistry and want different things out of cannabis, there's no right or wrong. That's what's great about the plant, it's a different medicine for many different people.

The closer to the north pole you get the lower the THC levels and the CBD becomes higher, 10:1 CBD is possible for early flowering types in Midwest America and Europe. As you get closer to the equator in SE Asia and India for instance the ratio switches so you find wild or feral types with 10:1 THC. So high THC low CBD or vice versa is possible in basically 'wild' cannabis. I'm not sure about Afghan strains it's been postulated that the couchlock high is from large amounts of CBD. The ones I've grown tend to be high THC hardly any CBD. The effects of CBD, lessening the intensity of the THC high, don't sound like the classic knockout Afghan stone. My thinking is that large amounts of potent THC will end up knocking you out in the end, and couchlock you because you're so damn high. I don't understand why researchers haven't worked out why Afghan plants are different then other strains. I feel like some of the very clear, cerebral stuff people talk about, especially from Africa and Jamaica, may have some CBD.

But these aren't comparable to the really potent stuff people have bred. That's selective breeding and it's been going on for a long, long time. The cannabis found in northwestern China at burial sites was found to be high THC low CBD even though it was a hemp strain that should have been the opposite. Which means people 2500 years ago were breeding for high amounts of THC.

I know what you mean, I keep high CBD pollen well away from my plants, but the high CBD strains aren't really ditchweed. Feral hemp is less then 5% CBD, usually around 1%. The high CBD strains are over 10% and much more efficient for making extracts. In China for instance, they're still making their CBD extracts from their hemp crops but as acceptance of the medical uses of cannabis grows we'll be seeing a big demand for high CBD genetics. Breeding strains for really high CBD would be a clever move if someone was looking to make big cash in the seed market.

Love the insight into cannabis evolution Rev! I should have been an evolutionary scientist myself I sometimes think. Fascinating stuff.

I think I remember reading that Afghan and other narcotic BLD typically have high Myrcene levels which can be considered to contribute to couch locked tired feelings..
I think many NLD are lower in Myrcene than other things like limonene or B Caryophylene (lol I may have misspelled that) which are typically considered more stimulating.

It’s my belief that the Terpene profiles are as big a deal as cannabinoids.