What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do i yield 1-3lbs a plant indoors ?

Riverflow

Should i use soil or hydro ? 1 gal pots ? will it matter if its my 1st or 50th grow? how important is the strain ? what kind of nutrients?

BigPete

Large smart pots, coco coir, house and garden A+B top drip recirculated. Regularly calibrated ph meter.

EL Picos

Like above, 20 gallon coco coir 40% perlite and pinch it at soon as possible to obtain at least 50 colas well spreaded, veg it 3 more weeks before 12/12. You need some experience to pinch it correctly..!

1 to 3 pounds per plant is doable indoors with enough square feet, head room, wattage, training, time, and genetics. Experience or research will tell you that growing trees or scrogging the right plants can make this happen. Time is a major factor either way. Scrog training will add weeks to veg, and extra materials will be needed for it. This is a great option for when you dont have tall ceilings for growing trees. Trees do well in setups with vertical lighting. Look up heath Robinson for grows involving massive trees indoors. I've personally pulled 17.62 oz off of a 1 plant scrog in a 2x4 tent with a 750w light. This was done with a clone that was monster cropped.

Hydroponics would be my weapon of choice. Chase your goals and keep trying till you either achieve the goal you se or you find another goal to chase. Good luck!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
just wondering

just wondering

Have you grown before? If not, I would recommend a few smaller runs to work out all the kinks first.

krustallos

Veteran
Literally just a long veg time in large pots. Lots of topping + training the plants.

picture.php

picture.php

coldcanna

Veteran
Getting 1-2 lbs off 1 plant indoors is some serious skill and VEG time (extra power bill)- save yourself vegging that extra 2 months and grow 6-9 plants under a light, you will have a much easier time hitting a couple pounds that way.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
You can get great yields running higher plant numbers of smaller plants and harvest more often or perpetually. Take lots of clones and keep multiple mothers around. To get yields like that per plant will take a very long veg time.

-Funk

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Getting 1-2 lbs off 1 plant indoors is some serious skill and VEG time (extra power bill)- save yourself vegging that extra 2 months and grow 6-9 plants under a light, you will have a much easier time hitting a couple pounds that way.

What he said. Turn and burn. To much work and time to veg that long.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I do know commercial growers that have a set up with 9 plants per table under two 1,000 watt lights per table running some type of hydro. They claim, and I believe cause I have seen, that they get 2 lbs per light. These plants are topping out at about 4' so it is realistic to turn a grow over every 9 wks.

Not my cup of tea though......

Earlmarne

Ive gotten close with sub par growing skills growing vertical in hempys. Mostly a little over a half p.
Im shooting for the same or better due to plant count. I think I have surpassed a p a plant this round. For me the answer was using 4 7g ppks in a row under a 5x11 net.
This system supports massive plants.
Head on over to the ppk thread.
Most of those folks, myself included run Jacks plus calnit for nutes.
Honestly, unless you are trying to stay inside a plant count growing trees is kind of a pain. I feel like I could produce a lot more if I ran like 40 small plant intead of 4.

Last edited:

chiesesganja

You can get great yields running higher plant numbers of smaller plants and harvest more often or perpetually. Take lots of clones and keep multiple mothers around. To get yields like that per plant will take a very long veg time.

-Funk

anythings need times ~haha

To achieve high yields on a single plant typically requires a longer than usual veg as most others have pointed out. Trellising/screening plants assists with this process by multiplying the number of colas you have. But how you grow the plant is secondary to what type of light you are using.

A lot of growers these days are using white lights because they're the cheapest option available. They can grow plants just fine and give good results, but they were never designed for plants. The spectrum is not weighted properly in the 3 regions of PAR, they contain a lot of wavelengths that are inefficiently absorbed, and due to wide-angle dispersion they tend to waste a lot of energy illuminating your walls rather than making sure that all available light gets to your plants.

Since 2009 our lights have consistently delivered at least double the grams per watt of HID in independent side-by-sides (many of which were done on ICMag and you can view via the link in my signature). We have also done 3-4X the yield per watt of some competing LEDs several times over.

So if your goal is maximum yield (which mine always was) because you have a limited plant count and need to reach a certain volume, what you choose for grow lights is going to have the biggest impact on how much your plant is going to yield.

zoo

To achieve high yields on a single plant typically requires a longer than usual veg as most others have pointed out. Trellising/screening plants assists with this process by multiplying the number of colas you have. But how you grow the plant is secondary to what type of light you are using.

A lot of growers these days are using white lights because they're the cheapest option available. They can grow plants just fine and give good results, but they were never designed for plants. The spectrum is not weighted properly in the 3 regions of PAR, they contain a lot of wavelengths that are inefficiently absorbed, and due to wide-angle dispersion they tend to waste a lot of energy illuminating your walls rather than making sure that all available light gets to your plants.

Since 2009 our lights have consistently delivered at least double the grams per watt of HID in independent side-by-sides (many of which were done on ICMag and you can view via the link in my signature). We have also done 3-4X the yield per watt of some competing LEDs several times over.

So if your goal is maximum yield (which mine always was) because you have a limited plant count and need to reach a certain volume, what you choose for grow lights is going to have the biggest impact on how much your plant is going to yield.

Said like a true LED salesman

I see a lot of big numbers being toted, but rarely see impressive canopy pics from LED's with dense buds all the way from top to bottom. Unless you can enlighten me.

But that being said, I do beleive LED's are the future. But there is a looong way to go.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Strain selection and familiarity with the cultivar is of paramount necessity for achieving those type of numbers.

Biologist

The spectrum is not weighted properly in the 3 regions of PAR, they contain a lot of wavelengths that are inefficiently absorbed, and due to wide-angle dispersion they tend to waste a lot of energy illuminating your walls rather than making sure that all available light gets to your plants.

What do you think about this quote from Bugbee's great paper on this subject?

"There is considerable misunderstanding over the effect of light quality on plant growth. Many manufacturers claim significantly increased plant growth due to light quality (spectral distribution or the ratio of the colors). A widely used estimate of the effect of light quality on photosynthesis comes from the Yield Photon Flux (YPF) curve, which indicates that orange and red photons between 600 to 630 nm can result in 20 to 30% more photosynthesis than blue or cyan photons between 400 and 540 nm (Figure 3)[3], [4]. When light quality is analyzed based on the YPF curve, HPS lamps are equal to or better than the best LED fixtures because they have a high photon output near 600 nm and a low output of blue, cyan, and green light [5].

The YPF curve, however, was developed from short-term measurements made on single leaves in low light. Over the past 30 years, numerous longer-term studies with whole plants in higher light indicate that light quality has a much smaller effect on plant growth rate than light quantity [6], [7]. Light quality, especially the fraction of blue light, has been shown to alter cell expansion rate, leaf expansion rate[8], plant height and plant shape in several species [9]–[11], but it has only a small direct effect on photosynthesis."

Economic Analysis of Greenhouse Lighting: Light Emitting Diodes vs. High Intensity Discharge Fixtures
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0099010

The LED fixtures in that paper have generally lower photon efficiency than the DE HPS fixtures.

I understand CREE has some newer units that have higher photon efficiency but you don't use those in your product do you?

Latest posts

Latest posts