What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

tasty red oil, canidates (photos) - cherry oil

axle2u

Just found a recipe for making Red Hash Oil on an old forum.
This recipe involves the use of Ether but at the end of the text it says Iso can be used too.

wow...

thank you, I will check this out further, and pass it onward to a friend to review as well....

looks pretty involved, but it could be a recipe im looking for
at this point im not sure....I will have others look at it and give me their opinion also...

ive very grateful, for your help...
if you come across anything more....please let me know

axle robot

Hookahhead

Awesome sleuthing Cvh!

Axle the process seems pretty strait forward to me. You can get everything OTC except for the ether. The article does say white gas will work (Napatha). All of these items are used in a classic Acid / Base extraction. I suggest you get a separatory funnel first. If you have any questions after you've rounded up your supplies, I'm more than happy to help guide you through the extraction process.

axle2u

Awesome sleuthing Cvh!

Axle the process seems pretty strait forward to me. You can get everything OTC except for the ether. The article does say white gas will work (Napatha). All of these items are used in a classic Acid / Base extraction. I suggest you get a separatory funnel first. If you have any questions after you've rounded up your supplies, I'm more than happy to help guide you through the extraction process.

hey thank you .....

axle

axle2u

hey guys...

check this out below....I was poking around on the internet and came across this literature....based on a tip from here about Lebanese red hash oil.....this also aligns itself well with possible BOEL involvement....Bekaa Valley preferred landrace I believe

Interestingly enough this oil disappeared almost as fast as it hit the scene. The CIA'rs shut it down by finding and confiscating 6 different large presses (heavy tonnage press), used to manufacture red oil from pressing their red hash....
very interesting, perhaps more clues....also inline with what we know of cherry oil late 70s....
was there one day...gone the next
never to be seen again...

ive highlighted key words used...I picked up on

but read closely this strains characteristic traits
(furnished by a seed company)

products_title.png
Lebanese

Region: Middle East

Strain: Lebanese

Genetics: Pure Lebanese Hashish Landrace
Sourcing: Personally obtained at souce in Bekaa Valley (2008 harvest)
Purpose: Hashish (sieved)
Latitude: 34° N
Harvest: August through September
Height: 0.5 - 1.5 metres
Aroma: Cedar; pine; fruit; mango; sweetness
Characteristics: Early; compact; resinous; columnar and spherical phenotypes
Grow Type: Outdoors, greenhouse, or indoors

Lebanon has a long tradition of producing fantastic hashish, and the region's best landraces are renowned for their quality and excellent breeding potential.

Characteristic aromas are cedar and pine, with sweetness and heavy aromas of fruit such as mango and cherry. Lebanese landraces are very compact and mature early. Deep-red or purple colouration can show during senescence.

There are two main phenotypes can be found: Columnar plants grow to one central stem with minimal branching and are well-suited to breeding advanced industrial crops. Heavily branched phenotypes are often near-spherical (e.g. 90 by 90 cm).

This particular Lebanese landrace has notable pedigree, originating in one of the most renowned mountain regions above Bekaa Valley, which is traditionally where the finest Lebanese hashish has been produced.

Note: These seeds have been produced using first- and third-generation seeds from the original 2008 accession using open pollination, involving numerous males and females with minimal selection. Plants with negative traits have been removed while so far as possible maintaining biodiversity.

check photo for red/purplish pigmentation
cherry oil red, bottom left of picture...id say
or very very close....click on attachment below to enlarge image

what say you...?

thanks

axle robot

Attachments

• product_12359949711e34a9f608eb130large.jpg
    product_12359949711e34a9f608eb130large.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 34

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes I have read that also,

but MJ just for shits and giggles, let say this IS the source
of the devine cherry oil....

lets say afganistan/packistan regions known for mass producing decent quality cannabis...(a type of kush, I believe)

what landraces (various strains in abundance to support such a massive refinement of oil) would be the weed of choice...?

can we narrow that down, to a couple possibilities..
making the assumption that this IS the source...

I do find the pakistan chirtral kush buds, have the color pigmentation of a red oil....check out my album potential candidates for visuals....and give me your thoughts on that...

thank you,

axle robot

I grew a PCK variant, Pine Tar Kush, bred by Tom Hill this year. On first sample of the buds a couple days ago I got light berry hints and the color of the plants could easily add some purple/red pigmentation to the end product.

Anthocyanin, the compound that makes plants turn purple can also show as red or blue depending on a plants internal pH. I'm pretty sure that's how hydrangea color is manipulated. Anyway, maybe soil conditions would have an effect on anthocyanin production affecting the color of the end product.

Just a thought that I caught as it was trying to get away.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey guys...

check this out below....I was poking around on the internet and came across this literature....based on a tip from here about Lebanese red hash oil.....this also aligns itself well with possible BOEL involvement....Bekaa Valley preferred landrace I believe

Interestingly enough this oil disappeared almost as fast as it hit the scene. The CIA'rs shut it down by finding and confiscating 6 different large presses (heavy tonnage press), used to manufacture red oil from pressing their red hash....
very interesting, perhaps more clues....also inline with what we know of cherry oil late 70s....
was there one day...gone the next
never to be seen again...

ive highlighted key words used...I picked up on

but read closely this strains characteristic traits
(furnished by a seed company)

View Image Lebanese

Region: Middle East

Strain: Lebanese

Genetics: Pure Lebanese Hashish Landrace
Sourcing: Personally obtained at souce in Bekaa Valley (2008 harvest)
Purpose: Hashish (sieved)
Latitude: 34° N
Harvest: August through September
Height: 0.5 - 1.5 metres
Aroma: Cedar; pine; fruit; mango; sweetness
Characteristics: Early; compact; resinous; columnar and spherical phenotypes
Grow Type: Outdoors, greenhouse, or indoors

Lebanon has a long tradition of producing fantastic hashish, and the region's best landraces are renowned for their quality and excellent breeding potential.

Characteristic aromas are cedar and pine, with sweetness and heavy aromas of fruit such as mango and cherry. Lebanese landraces are very compact and mature early. Deep-red or purple colouration can show during senescence.

There are two main phenotypes can be found: Columnar plants grow to one central stem with minimal branching and are well-suited to breeding advanced industrial crops. Heavily branched phenotypes are often near-spherical (e.g. 90 by 90 cm).

This particular Lebanese landrace has notable pedigree, originating in one of the most renowned mountain regions above Bekaa Valley, which is traditionally where the finest Lebanese hashish has been produced.

Note: These seeds have been produced using first- and third-generation seeds from the original 2008 accession using open pollination, involving numerous males and females with minimal selection. Plants with negative traits have been removed while so far as possible maintaining biodiversity.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/\'https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78490&pictureid=1895725\'imgView Image

check photo for red/purplish pigmentation
cherry oil red, bottom left of picture...id say
or very very close....click on attachment below to enlarge image

what say you...?

thanks

axle robot

This sounds as if BOEL made the worlds first ROSIN presses.
Man were they inovative! :biggrin:

axle2u

I grew a PCK variant, Pine Tar Kush, bred by Tom Hill this year. On first sample of the buds a couple days ago I got light berry hints and the color of the plants could easily add some purple/red pigmentation to the end product.

Anthocyanin, the compound that makes plants turn purple can also show as red or blue depending on a plants internal pH. I'm pretty sure that's how hydrangea color is manipulated. Anyway, maybe soil conditions would have an effect on anthocyanin production affecting the color of the end product.

Just a thought that I caught as it was trying to get away.

hey MJ, thanks...
I learn more everyday..

you know some pics of those buds would be nice, fella
lol...

-axle robot

axle2u

This sounds as if BOEL made the worlds first ROSIN presses.
Man were they inovative! :biggrin:

it is my assumption, pieces of the puzzle do fit somewhat
or is it coincidence...

they (BOEL) were known to be producing oil in several different labs, several different locations...and literally by the gallons
massive quantities...they were caught with it all...

if it was made this way....
that is a lot of tonnage of red hash we're talking...
but cheap, I believe...

ya, the pieces of the puzzle do fit nicely in the assumption
but it is only that, until further evidence comes along...

original authentic cherry oil, I concluded
was made on a massive scale, imported and available in at least 2 major international cities at the same time (era)...recently confirmed by someone in NYC, and myself -Toronto, other cities too more then likely, 2 for sure

and like these presses making red hash oil....
there one day and gone the next...
never seen again 35 plus years and counting......

(ive actually had it, that's how I even know about it, to try and revive it)

cherry oil you buy today is nothing but a poor imposter....
the only thing between the two in similarities is the name, and that is it....period, its shite...
like selling a snowball to an eskimo...

-axle robot

axle2u

I read up somewhat on red leb hash production, the plight of the farmers...
more in particular, bekka valley plantations...

Syria regimes controlling the area for about 30 years, political unrest, war zones
Lebanese military plowing fields down, farmers banding together to form their own protection....a very bleak story for the area...a lot of fighting went on for a time..
you either grow weed there or pretty much starve, there are other vegetables they grow but make money for themselves with cannabis....acres apon acres apon acres

hash prices have fluctuated up and down in just the past several years...
I read current prices are about was over 700 Euros a pound but now
400 Euros a pound....that's crazy

So I checked Euros, in CAN $ a Euro is worth .67 CAN

So doing the math....
400x.67 = $268 CAN per pound
$268/16 = $16.75 per ounce
$16.75/28 = $ 0.5982 per gram.....holy crap

I bought some from a canadian dispensary recently....for $30 a gram

and that's the math of it....
so yes, very very cheap to buy....
IF you over there...lol

-axle robot

ps, does taste good too....sweet smell

axle2u

Awesome sleuthing Cvh!

hi there,

what is OTC ...?
separatory funnel..?

and thank you so much for your solid offer of guidance

kind regards,

axle A. robot

Hookahhead

OTC is the abbreviation for "over the counter", meaning you should be able to buy the product on store shelves.

A separatory funnel allows you to separate 2 insoluble liquids. You can do your own research on polar and non-polar liquids. Basically when you add a polar to a non-polar in a container, one will float on the other depending on their density. An example of this would be adding oil to water, the oil floats. A separatory funnel takes advantage of this by allowing you to drain off the bottom layer easily. Depending on what your goal is at the time you may want to keep the bottom layer, top layer, or both. For your experiment I would suggest you obtain a 1000 mL glass separtory funnel. I also highly recommend you purchase a ringstand for it, you don't absolutely need it but it makes the whole process much easier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separatory_funnel

I decided to rewrite what Cvh posted, so that it is hopefully a bit easier to follow. I did not change anything from the original process. However I have no real world experience with this specific extraction.

How To Make Red Hash Oil

* You will be working with chemicals that will ignite if not used in a properly ventilated lab. Do not attempt this without a proper spark-less exhaust system if you are not working in a lab.

*Safety goggles and nitrile gloves are highly reccomended.

*Only use glass or stainless steel utensils when working with strong solvents.

1) Completely dry and grind material to a powder. Soak material in petroleum ether for several hours, but less than 24 hours. Strain, saving the ether portion. Press out the material thoroughly to get as much ether as possible. Filter the ether through a coffee filter. Save the ether, discard the plant material. You could potentially try a second extraction with fresh solvent on the plant material if you want to make sure you got everything. Just like every other extraction method, second runs tend to be less potent and have more "contaminants".

2) Create a 4% sodium hydroxide (NaOH) solution by mixing 40 mg (40mg = 0.04g) of pure NaOH pellets into 500 ml of distilled water until dissolved thoroughly. Then add 500 ml of absolute grain alcohol (everclear), yielding ~ 1 liter of the sodium hydroxide solution. NaOH is highly caustic, try to avoid spilling any on yourself or anything around you.

3) Combine the ether from step 1 with NaOH solution from step 2 in the separatory funnel, and gently swirl and "mix" the two solutions together. Every 30 seconds or so you will want to turn the separatory funnel upside down (make sure you hold in the stopper at the top!) and open the vent, this allows the pressure that has built up to vent out. You probably want to do this for a 2-3 minutes to make sure the solution is extracting efficiently.

4) After mixing thoroughly, place your separatory funnel in the ring stand and allow the 2 liquids to separate. Ether is less dense than water/alcohol, so the ether is the top layer. Drain and save the bottom NaOH layer. Add fresh NaOH solution back into the ether in the separatory funnel and repeat steps 3 and 4 two more times (3x total). Combine the 3 NaOH portions together. The ether can be discarded or reclaimed after the 3rd rinse.

5) Create a HCL solution by diluting your HCL either 2:1 or 3:1 with distilled water.

6) Slowly acidify the NaOH solution by adding small amounts of the diluted HCL solution. Use pH test strips to test the pH. Stop acidifying when it reaches pH 3. You may notice things precipitating, or "falling out" of the solution.

7) Filter the solution through a coffee filter. Keep the liquid and toss the coffee filter and any gunk it has in it.

8) Add the liquid back into the separatory funnel and add fresh ether. Like before gently swirl and vent the mixture for 2-3 minutes. This time the goodies have migrated into the ether layer, which is still on top. Drain off the bottom acidified layer and set it aside. Then drain the ether layer and save it. Add the acidified bottom layer back into the separatory funnel, along with fresh ether. Repeat this step for 3 times total. After the 3rd wash, combine the ether portions and discard the acidified layer.

9) Evaporate off pet ether to yield red honey oil!

White gas can be substituted for petroleum ether. White gas is also known as Napatha and can be obtained in many hardware stores. It is also Coleman camping fuel. Please note that there may be contaminants in these products, and you should research how to find the cleanest brands.

HCL in solution is also known as muriatic acid. It can be found at hardware stores or places that sell swimming pool chemicals.

Lye is also known as caustic soda, and can sometimes be found in the drain cleaner section of stores. Read the labels and look for 100% sodium hydroxide.

Last edited:

axle2u

OTC is the abbreviation for "over the counter", meaning you should be able to buy the product on store shelves.

A separatory funnel allows you to separate 2 insoluble liquids. You can do your own research on polar and non-polar liquids. Basically when you add a polar to a non-polar in a container, one will float on the other depending on their density. An example of this would be adding oil to water, the oil floats. A separatory funnel takes advantage of this by allowing you to drain off the bottom layer easily. Depending on what your goal is at the time you may want to keep the bottom layer, top layer, or both. For your experiment I would suggest you obtain a 1000 mL glass separtory funnel. I also highly recommend you purchase a ringstand for it, you don't absolutely need it but it makes the whole process much easier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separatory_funnel

I decided to rewrite what Cvh posted, so that it is hopefully a bit easier to follow. I did not change anything from the original process. However I have no real world experience with this specific extraction.

How To Make Red Hash Oil

* You will be working with chemicals that will ignite if not used in a properly ventilated lab. Do not attempt this without a proper spark-less exhaust system if you are not working in a lab.

*Safety goggles and nitrile gloves are highly reccomended.

*Only use glass or stainless steel utensils when working with strong solvents.

1) Completely dry and grind material to a powder. Soak material in petroleum ether for several hours, but less than 24 hours. Strain, saving the ether portion. Press out the material thoroughly to get as much ether as possible. Filter the ether through a coffee filter. Save the ether, discard the plant material. You could potentially try a second extraction with fresh solvent on the plant material if you want to make sure you got everything. Just like every other extraction method, second runs tend to be less potent and have more "contaminants".

2) Create a 4% sodium hydroxide (NaOH) solution by mixing 40 mg (40mg = 0.04g) of pure NaOH pellets into 500 ml of distilled water until dissolved thoroughly. Then add 500 ml of absolute grain alcohol (everclear), yielding ~ 1 liter of the sodium hydroxide solution. NaOH is highly caustic, try to avoid spilling any on yourself or anything around you.

3) Combine the ether from step 1 with NaOH solution from step 2 in the separatory funnel, and gently swirl and "mix" the two solutions together. Every 30 seconds or so you will want to turn the separatory funnel upside down (make sure you hold in the stopper at the top!) and open the vent, this allows the pressure that has built up to vent out. You probably want to do this for a 2-3 minutes to make sure the solution is extracting efficiently.

4) After mixing thoroughly, place your separatory funnel in the ring stand and allow the 2 liquids to separate. Ether is less dense than water/alcohol, so the ether is the top layer. Drain and save the bottom NaOH layer. Add fresh NaOH solution back into the ether in the separatory funnel and repeat steps 3 and 4 two more times (3x total). Combine the 3 NaOH portions together. The ether can be discarded or reclaimed after the 3rd rinse.

5) Create a HCL solution by diluting your HCL either 2:1 or 3:1 with distilled water.

6) Slowly acidify the NaOH solution by adding small amounts of the diluted HCL solution. Use pH test strips to test the pH. Stop acidifying when it reaches pH 3. You may notice things precipitating, or "falling out" of the solution.

7) Filter the solution through a coffee filter. Keep the liquid and toss the coffee filter and any gunk it has in it.

8) Add the liquid back into the separatory funnel and add fresh ether. Like before gently swirl and vent the mixture for 2-3 minutes. This time the goodies have migrated into the ether layer, which is still on top. Drain off the bottom acidified layer and set it aside. Then drain the ether layer and save it. Add the acidified bottom layer back into the separatory funnel, along with fresh ether. Repeat this step for 3 times total. After the 3rd wash, combine the ether portions and discard the acidified layer.

9) Evaporate off pet ether to yield red honey oil!

White gas can be substituted for petroleum ether. White gas is also known as Napatha and can be obtained in many hardware stores. It is also Coleman camping fuel. Please note that there may be contaminants in these products, and you should research how to find the cleanest brands.

HCL in solution is also known as muriatic acid. It can be found at hardware stores or places that sell swimming pool chemicals.

Lye is also known as caustic soda, and can sometimes be found in the drain cleaner section of stores. Read the labels and look for 100% sodium hydroxide.

thank you for this hooka...
I do appreciate your efforts....

petroleum ether eh.....
now where would I even start to look for something like that..?

also, lets say for a second, I can become a rookie chemist
aquire all the necessary ingredients, and process carefully..

lets say for shits n giggles I came along that far
trying to apply this recipe to the best of my knowledge...
ok, with me so far..?....lol

is there any chance of accidental explosion and/or buring of the flesh with flying acids....in said explosion....haha.....lol

remove the flammable hazard lets say...
I can get a handle on that, but what im trying to ask
can this stuff just go off, on itself when mixing the various chemicals and acids and what not....

because...

I really, really have no idea....lol
but, I sure am interested in producing a red honey oil...

I don't have massive experience in making my own resin oil extracts, just started toying with it this summer....
ive had some good oil...small batches.....this is a big step for someone like me

thanks for your further input...

axle A. robot

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
<snip>
remove the flammable hazard lets say...
I can get a handle on that, but what im trying to ask
can this stuff just go off, on itself when mixing the various chemicals and acids and what not....
<snip>

Be careful when making the NaOH solution. Mix the NaOH into water slowly. If you dump all the NaOH into the water at once, it can flash boil over the top of the container and then you have a mess to cleanup. Don't let the solution touch your skin.

axle2u

Be careful when making the NaOH solution. Mix the NaOH into water slowly. If you dump all the NaOH into the water at once, it can flash boil over the top of the container and then you have a mess to cleanup. Don't let the solution touch your skin.

hello there comrade

have you ever made oil, close to this recipe...?
and how was it, did it actually come out red...?

how did it taste...?

curious

axle A. robot

Hookahhead

I believe blynx was just giving you a proper warning about NaOH (lye). He is right, adding NaOH to water is an exothermic reaction, meaning it generates heat. However adding 0.04g of NaOH to 500 mL water is not enough to worry about.

Ether is going to be a little more difficult to source. It's used heavily in chemistry labs, and other applications. However, the sale of it tends to be more "restricted" for various reasons. In the article Cvh posted, it states that white gas (Napatha) can be substituted instead.

This extraction is not difficult, and many similar ones are conducted daily for various compounds across the globe. Again, you should be able to complete this extraction with items available on retail store shelves, so they are considered "generally safe" when used properly. That being said you are working with flammable solvents (Napatha and Alcohol), strong acids (HCL), and strong bases (NaOH). All of these are potentially hazardous without proper handling.

Edit: Also aside from the warning that blynx suggested with the NaOH, there is no potential for a "run away reaction" where you need to worry about the whole thing just blowing up in your face. Your biggest concerns is not having an ignition source when dealing with flammable solvents. It's recommended to do these steps outside in a well ventilated area. Also you want to avoid contact with the chemicals to your eyes, mouth, and skin. Finally, only attempt this extraction once you are confident that you fully understand the process, the chemicals involved, and the inherent safety risks .

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Pakistani chitral kush is a good idea but i personally would use a alien tech momma cherry dom for the cherry terps my kaylas kush is straight cherry fire im running pck right niw too hope to find a red or pink myself

axle2u

I believe blynx was just giving you a proper warning about NaOH (lye). He is right, adding NaOH to water is an exothermic reaction, meaning it generates heat. However adding 0.04g of NaOH to 500 mL water is not enough to worry about.

Ether is going to be a little more difficult to source. It's used heavily in chemistry labs, and other applications. However, the sale of it tends to be more "restricted" for various reasons. In the article Cvh posted, it states that white gas (Napatha) can be substituted instead.

This extraction is not difficult, and many similar ones are conducted daily for various compounds across the globe. Again, you should be able to complete this extraction with items available on retail store shelves, so they are considered "generally safe" when used properly. That being said you are working with flammable solvents (Napatha and Alcohol), strong acids (HCL), and strong bases (NaOH). All of these are potentially hazardous without proper handling.

Edit: Also aside from the warning that blynx suggested with the NaOH, there is no potential for a "run away reaction" where you need to worry about the whole thing just blowing up in your face. Your biggest concerns is not having an ignition source when dealing with flammable solvents. It's recommended to do these steps outside in a well ventilated area. Also you want to avoid contact with the chemicals to your eyes, mouth, and skin. Finally, only attempt this extraction once you are confident that you fully understand the process, the chemicals involved, and the inherent safety risks .

VERY NICE POST....

thank you so much hooka tokem up...
I appreciate anyone's advise, comments, and/or logical reasoning
basically my root question answer here, no run away chemical reactions expected, the advise to wait until I fully understand the process....is golden advise...kudios to you

thanks bud,

axle A. robot