What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Baking soda vs H2O2 for PM

PDX Dopesmoker

We're about to get a ton of rain here in Oregon and I have 2 plants showing PM on the foliage, its on my tomato plant's leaves too. I want to spray one of the affected pot plants with hydrogen peroxide and the other with baking soda before the rain to see which trick is more effective. Seems like good timing, the rain should rinse everything off before it causes trouble and I'm not risking any sunburn with the H2O2, the sun won't be out for a few days.
What are the appropriate dilution ratios for spraying H2O2 & baking soda?

PDX Dopesmoker

I used sulphur for the last three years, it works great, only bad thing about it is the particulates in the sulfur clogging the spray nozzle. I've never tried milk, H2O2 or baking soda, but supposedly they all function too if you believe everything you read on the internet.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive used all 3 and ive never had the other two work. Ive also in years never had sulfur clog the sprayer.

Amynamous

Nope, just micronized sulfur and purified water shaken. Sprayed on up to day 20 of flower

Thanks.
I am well beyond day 20 of flowering and suspect the same is true of pdxdopesmoker. Would you use micronized sulfur this late in the season? I plan on harvesting in three weeks.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wouldnt spray that late, at least ive heard it can really effect bud flavor and smell at that stage. Amy how bad is the pm for you? Seeing it on leaflets of buds or mainly on fans?

Amynamous

I wouldnt spray that late, at least ive heard it can really effect bud flavor and smell at that stage. Amy how bad is the pm for you? Seeing it on leaflets of buds or mainly on fans?

Minor signs of PM on a few leafs on my pot plants, but i definitely have PM on some trees and in the garden, especially my pumpkins and watermelons. I am also seeing small speckling and small webs on one of my plants and suspect mites. I was thinking the sulfur could help with both.
I just ordered potassium bicarb on amazon and it should be here by the weekend. Maybe i will add some dish soap to the bicarb spray. I might add some h2o2 too.

I always wash/rinse my outdoor buds at harvest. I get too much dirt, dust, bugs on my buds throughout the summer. It’s really disgusting to see what’s left in the water after washing.

PDX Dopesmoker

I ended up spraying 0.5% H2O2 on Haze bagseed bagseed #1 (I grew Haze bagseed outdoors 5 years ago and these were seeds that were the inadvertent result of that grow) and half water half milk on Haze bagseed bagseed #2. The first one is the one with worst problem.
The original Haze bagseed did really well, but this next generation got the PM problem this year so I probably won't ever bother growing out any Haze bagseed bagseed bagseed I might get.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My issue w h2o2 and the sodium bicarbonate(essentially what green cure is). Is it would look like the pm was gone or very close, then a few days later its as if the product dries out and it just reappeared in the same spots. I had the same results with the plant therapy. I felt both caused the final product to look different and would singe pistils. Another good product is called quintec, basically a quinine derivative. Its relatively new. I believe it has a 3 week half life and i found it effective. 4-8ml per gallon. They have been very successful with it on grape vines and it is approved for edible crops. Of course thats not the same as smoking heh

PDX Dopesmoker

Thats neat that quinine is possibly useful to treat PM, amazing what a useful natural gift that stuff is. You're probably right about sulfur being a better treatment for this issue, I have a couple later flowering plants which won't be ready before mid November that I could still spray sulfur on as a preventative measure.
I can already see some spots on my worst affected tomato plant that I sprayed with H2O2 last night where the PM spots looked dead this morning and already seem to have started to recover. It was raining all day & no sun, very good fungus growing conditions here.

DargyDoof

I dont recommend baking soda, it burns and its often uncontrolled. Plus drip run-off can load your soil/medium with a ton of sodium.

You can achieve the same mechanism with stuff you already have for growing, and potentially feed at the same time.

Simply use you pH up bottle to bring your sprayer pH up to 10.5 or so. These formulas usually contain potassium salts (hydroxide, carbonate, silicate). Another option is to use your silicate product to raise your pH. Silicates are extremely caustic, but foliar silicate feeding isnt out of the question. I recommend anyone who can to grab powdered pot silicate because bottled formulas are mostly just KSil and water.

BUT as mentioned above these are just meant to slow down PM and to rid your plants of it will take more harsh measures. I find this high pH method works in late flower as well to finish a crop.

Latest posts

Latest posts