What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

active air carbon filters

Active Air sucks... pelletized carbon.. heavy as shit!

Phresh and Phat are the kings... Mined, australian carbon, activated RC 4/8 on the Phresh, 4/12 on the Phat. Aluminum body so super light weight... lasts wayyyy longer due to the super porous carbon.

thanks a lot fellows active air is out..........one more question.w 8x24 phresh filter do a 1000 watt flower room?..

eyes

Veteran
phats now using mongolian carbon- switched from rc48 australian. im sure there just as good if not better.

hey hammerhead- i heard the cans cant handle the sour d's or chems. whats your take? i had a guy askin me bout em. like to get feedback on a guy who uses em.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have grown both with no problems. If you dont size the scrubber right your going to have smell issues.. All of my scrubbers are sized to accommodate a slightly larger grow then I have. I would recommend everyone to do that. I never know when im going to get a strain that just reeks like nothing I have ever had. If that happens Im prepared for that.. I even have a spare can 99 for emergencies

Im not a commercial grower I keep my #'s within the sate requirements. On occasion I have bumped my counts to 15 plants all Chem D. Im using 2 can 33(pretty small units). I have no smell outside of the flower room. I have some GDP reeks to high heaven. Cant even tell there's cannabis growing here:)

T

TribalSeeds

I went with phresh because they are lightweight and I can just throw them out and buy new ones instead of changing the carbon. They're fairly cheap at the local shop.

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Can-filters work well, haven't tried Phresh yet though.

Definitely shoot for a little bit bigger one than you need - to be safe.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
all filters are meant to be discarded.. There are some people that refill but the price of good carbon makes the cost of doing this impractical.. By the time you buy enough carbon you could have just purchased a new unit.. I use to refill mine and that was only because I bought Carbon in bulk. I have 2 saltwater tanks and use a lot of carbon for those so what the hell I might as well refill my scrubbers.. I got tired of that after a few years.. I just buy new ones now..its cheaper to do that..

Rolldaddy

Also how do pick how many cfm fan I should use with the filter?

I was under the impresion that as long as the room has negative pressure caused by air being exhausted out through the filter stincky air will not be floating around outside of the room?

Rolldaddy

I was also under the impression that if using co2 the exaust coming through the filter should be slow and mounted on the ceiling on order to waste as little co2 as possible?

eyes

Veteran
I was also under the impression that if using co2 the exaust coming through the filter should be slow and mounted on the ceiling on order to waste as little co2 as possible?

mounting the filter high is what gets rid of the hot stale air as u draw in the cool air from down low. the co2 is heavier than air and will sink.

eyes

Veteran
usually whatever the filter manufacture states the cfm of the filter is, divide that in half. there usually rated for recirculation not exhaust. so if they say a 8x39 is 800 cfm, its really 400 cfm maximum exhaust. meaning, use a fan slightly under the cfm so u dont move air too quickly through the filter. id use a 300 or 330 cfm fan for that filter. if u use a 400 cfm fan, its to close to the maximum capacity of the filter and you wont have enough contact time with the carbon. you could speed control the fan, but not all fans work well with speed controllers.

Last edited:

eyes

Veteran
the minumum airflow is stated so you utilize the whole length of the filter and not just the part closest to the fans suction. so if u go with too large of a filter thats rated at 1000 cfm and try to put a 300 cfm fan on it, the fan would probably only be able to utilize the top half of the filter.

Fixer

Any current opinions on Active Air? I've been using a Can-Lite 1000 CFM filter for recirculating. It's getting old and my local grow shop sells Active Air.

hayday

Veteran
I use Active Air .I have always had great success with them. I oversize big time and the generally last for years and years.Right now I have an 8"x39" exaust and a 6"x24 scrubber in a 6'x7' space.The 6" is at least ten years old and I still trust it to assist but not stand on its own.Theres also an 8"x39" in the drying space...this ones got to perform excelent or ima be in trouble.
Whats new and better on the market?