What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PPK question - anyone try lava rocks as medium?

tilopa

I'm wondering if lava rocks would be a good medium for PPK. I'm talking about the 1/2" size light porous red volcanic rock. It is very air and conducive to supplying more oxygen to the roots, but I question whether it has much wicking ability?

I liken it to hydroton which does not wick very well.

Side question, what size buckets do people use in veg. If say you are using 5 gallon buckets for flower, what size would you veg in?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Although I used lava rock successfully, it broke down and was messy to clean up

I moved from there to polished ornamental stones, which I have used for years. Not only do they work great, they are easy to clean and reuse, but I came across Bright Water Medium and am experimenting with it this grow. It's coarse ceramic hollow extrusions cut into 1/2" pieces, plenty of surface area for delicate roots to attach to

IMG_4926.jpg

tilopa

Although I used lava rock successfully, it broke down and was messy to clean up
Interesting, the lava rocks I'm talking about are very hard, yet light an porous. My neighbor uses them on his walkway.

I moved from there to polished ornamental stones, which I have used for years. Not only do they work great...
I would think that polished rocks would not wick very well?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting, the lava rocks I'm talking about are very hard, yet light an porous. My neighbor uses them on his walkway.

I would think that polished rocks would not wick very well?

I know, but the ornamental rocks are different sizes and shapes and the roots grow all around them

Klompen

The type of rock you're likely referring to is known as "scoria". Depending on where it is from, it can have rather high salt levels in it. A good flush or two or ten is always a must.