What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stay Away from Gorilla Grow tents

Grows1234

Two months back I switched from a Diy 2x2x5 box to a Gorilla Grow tent for ease of take down. I am two weeks into flower and two of the velcro tabs that block light have already failed. The stitching is terrible on all the seams and I have had to use a ton of gorilla tape to block light leaks created by shoddy sewing, failed velcro and bottom zippers that don't have a flap covering them. I really wish I hadn't fallen for the hype and just bought a cheaper tent.
This isn't my first tent. I ran a Secret Jardin for a year but replaced it with the above mentioned Diy box when I switched to an air cooled HPS and needed to run independent cooling for the light. The reason I mention this is because I know that no tent is light tight out of the box but I really expected more due to all the hype and the inflated cost. The tent is plenty thick which is nice but doesn't matter if all the velcro used to seal it is crap.
To anyone thinking of spending the extra $ and getting a premium tent, please don't. Buy a cheaper tent. Your still gonna have to Diy it no matter what you do, save yourself some cash. I'm gonna have to buy a heavy duty sewing machine now and spend the time to learn how to use just so I can get my moneys worth out of this POS. Don't fall for the hype this tent will let you down.

EastCoast710

lol . why I told people I rock 189$ 4x8 ebay tents.. have 3 4x8s and a 5x5 and a 4x2 .. all ebay tents. all holding up just as well as others.. not as heavy of an outside material but it blocks light.. I recommend them if your not using veg and flower in the same room..

if u can keep a room blacked out and just want something to control environment and to hold your equipment and lights. these cheap tents work great..

Rondon

Stitching rips..zippers fail...velcro doesnt work after awhile. They all are about the same. Been there done that. Have grower friends that been through the tent thing also. I use a 6.5 x 6.5 x 6.5 El Cheapo Lighthouse Hydro tent for my vegging. Packed with t5's. The pricey name brand ones are no better than the cheapo Amazon and ebay ones.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I have a 10x10 (9 ft tall) gorilla tent I use for vegging, with 2 4x8 trays and 4 Gavita DE'S in it. It is definitely inferior to my old Darkroom tent, terrible stitching, and the floor panel (top layer) is already all flaked apart and decomposing after a few months. We hardly ever need to go in the tent, just once every few weeks, and it blows. At least it's tall, but yeah I won't buy another one. Oh and it has all 10 inch ducts. I always use 12 or 14 inch fans, so it's a pain.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Two months back I switched from a Diy 2x2x5 box to a Gorilla Grow tent for ease of take down. I am two weeks into flower and two of the velcro tabs that block light have already failed. The stitching is terrible on all the seams and I have had to use a ton of gorilla tape to block light leaks created by shoddy sewing, failed velcro and bottom zippers that don't have a flap covering them. I really wish I hadn't fallen for the hype and just bought a cheaper tent.
This isn't my first tent. I ran a Secret Jardin for a year but replaced it with the above mentioned Diy box when I switched to an air cooled HPS and needed to run independent cooling for the light. The reason I mention this is because I know that no tent is light tight out of the box but I really expected more due to all the hype and the inflated cost. The tent is plenty thick which is nice but doesn't matter if all the velcro used to seal it is crap.
To anyone thinking of spending the extra $ and getting a premium tent, please don't. Buy a cheaper tent. Your still gonna have to Diy it no matter what you do, save yourself some cash. I'm gonna have to buy a heavy duty sewing machine now and spend the time to learn how to use just so I can get my moneys worth out of this POS. Don't fall for the hype this tent will let you down.

You bought the cheap Gorilla Grow Tent? The Gorilla Grow Tent Lite?

Rondon

I have a 10x10 (9 ft tall) gorilla tent I use for vegging, with 2 4x8 trays and 4 Gavita DE'S in it. It is definitely inferior to my old Darkroom tent, terrible stitching, and the floor panel (top layer) is already all flaked apart and decomposing after a few months. We hardly ever need to go in the tent, just once every few weeks, and it blows. At least it's tall, but yeah I won't buy another one. Oh and it has all 10 inch ducts. I always use 12 or 14 inch fans, so it's a pain.

How arw you keeping that tent cool with 4 Gavitas? I too run Gavitas... Eight 6/750 flex lamps but in a room with a Mitsubishi mini split. Tents are decent for veg with t5's...very little extra cooling if at all and only in tue warmer months. I couldnt imagine packing ANY size tent with HID lamps that werent air cooled with glass. Especially hot as hell double ended lamps.

Rondon

Btw....those so called floor.liners that come with any brand tent are a joke at best. They flake up with quickness...even after one or two crops. Waterproof they are not. Any brand tent....floor liners are a joke.

EastCoast710

Btw....those so called floor.liners that come with any brand tent are a joke at best. They flake up with quickness...even after one or two crops. Waterproof they are not. Any brand tent....floor liners are a joke.

lol my ebay cheap tents floor liners haven't failed.. been about 3-4 grows .. and ive even used them to flush my coco and shop vac up the mess left behind. no water seeps even into the tent itself lol .:thank you:

and I'm talking 2 inches of water almost over flowing out of the floor liner.. doesn't leak at all . lol weird I check and clean tents and floor liners each grow haven't seen a sign of flaking or damage at all

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I have one of the original Secret Jardin Darkrooms from 2008 or so. Its been used all the time since I bought it. Everything still works just fine including the zippers and velcro.

-Funk

DRM Ranch

I've always wondered avoid the durability of the various tents on the market, now I at least know what do avoid end maybe what do look for.

DRM Ranch

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My old secret jardin is great after after several years got a new one that is shit though, stitching coming off at the zippers.

onavelzy

Veteran
I've always wondered avoid the durability of the various tents on the market, now I at least know what do avoid end maybe what do look for.

DRM Ranch

look around DRM. i accept that not everyone will get a great product but there are a lot of people who rave about the GG tents, even with the price premium. i havent picked my tent yet so im looking at everyone's opinions.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
How arw you keeping that tent cool with 4 Gavitas? I too run Gavitas... Eight 6/750 flex lamps but in a room with a Mitsubishi mini split. Tents are decent for veg with t5's...very little extra cooling if at all and only in tue warmer months. I couldnt imagine packing ANY size tent with HID lamps that werent air cooled with glass. Especially hot as hell double ended lamps.

We have a pretty cool environment, lights are on from 8pm to 2 pm the next day. One 12 inch Vortex on exhaust, and a thermostat, with passive intakes open on the tent perimeter.

If it gets beyond 78 degrees, a second system kicks in that has a 10 inch vortex exhaust and powered intake on its own day/night thermostat.

If the temp in my old barn goes over 68, an 8000 cfm exhaust fan mounted high in a gable sucks it out fast.

I also have the lights on a staggered Sentinel cpntroller, so if it gets over 85 it will turn off 2 lights (stupid Gavita Classics don't have the data port.)

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
Two ebay tents worked good for veg and flower. One floor liner did flake and the zippers are touchy, you have to be careful.actually just put one of em up for a drying place but they have served me well..

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Rub an old candle on your zippers and it will lubricate them for months, less friction and therefore less stress.

G

ganjygav

I've owned 2 secret jardine tents in past 6 year's. Can't fault them. Nothing lasts forever, I notice after 2 or 3 years the stitching starts to let light seep out around the zips in places and then the walls get little pin prick holes in them.
My reflective mylar floor panel hasn't flaked or degraded in anyway.
I don't worry about light leaks because the room my tent is in a dark as well. With the door closed you can't even see the tent.
But yeah after 3 years I replaced my 1st tent and I think this tent only has a couple more grows.

As I said nothing lasts forever and I don't think spending a £100 every 3 years to replace the tent is that bad considering how much they have produced inside them.

Ru5tyNaiL

My last 4 tents have been Agromax from HTG. Can't fault them. Never had any problems with them, just as good as the next tent. You might see a pinhole through stitching like with most tents but nothing significant to hurt anything, and like most the room I have it in is also dark. I weigh around 230 and I can hang from it literally. I wouldn't have tried it, but they actually advertise that it will hold up to 250lbs and they have a guy hanging from it, so I tried it. And it worked. I've got their XL ( a bit bigger than 4x8), Their large (4.5x4.5), and 2 actual 4x4's which I think they call a medium?

X

xavier7995

My last 4 tents have been Agromax from HTG. Can't fault them. Never had any problems with them, just as good as the next tent. You might see a pinhole through stitching like with most tents but nothing significant to hurt anything, and like most the room I have it in is also dark. I weigh around 230 and I can hang from it literally. I wouldn't have tried it, but they actually advertise that it will hold up to 250lbs and they have a guy hanging from it, so I tried it. And it worked. I've got their XL ( a bit bigger than 4x8), Their large (4.5x4.5), and 2 actual 4x4's which I think they call a medium?
I also have an agromax, had it for a bit over two years now and it's great. Same experience as this dude.