What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are big plants better?

Are big plants hard to maintain? I mean i had mites and powdery mildew last year and managed to fix both problems but i had small plants( like 5 foot tall). I have the capacity to grow 5 pound monster plants but i fear they will be impossible to maintain. Advice or thoughts are much appreciated

Inner remesh cages around stalk, maybe another layer outside, or t posts and trellis woven up top too. Better is subjective depends on what you're going for. Myself personally I try to get them as big as I can. Great for plant count caps. Some think smaller are easier to deal with, perhaps that is so, but it's not that much more work really.

For a 5 pounder you probably dont need remesh.

Thanks for the ideas. Ill have to look into the cages for sure. But once it's caged up how do i pull the suckers off and what if i got powder mildew on the main trunk of the plant like last year? maybe ill go with the T posts and trellis idea.
I dont care about plant count caps, i have multiple scripts.
Also when do you plant your girls outside? I know how to veg them indoors but i have heard you should move them outdoors in like june. Why not move them out in may or so when its nice and warm?

The outdoor forum has some great stickys. Years worth of knowledge can be found there. Checking put the other outdoor grows, current and from last seasons, will give you a better idea of what everyone is doing. I dont want to spoon feed you too much. Your grow will have a lot of personal variables to consider so read as much as you can.

For example, why not move them into a high tunnel greenhouse to veg April 1st if weather permits? You will have to consider supplemental lighting if you're doing clones.

Farmer B

You could cut out sections to be able to get in. I watched a 5 episode on you tube about monster plants. I think 25 pound plants. Look up mendo dope boys. They show from start to finish. Lots of info on that subject if you like to watch and take a break from reading.

I'm actually a huge fan of mendo dope, funny that you would mention that. Ill scope that series. Do you think 100 gal smart pots are a must? I have 45 gal wondering if i should return them and get 100's

FishmanK

removing the leaves in the centers helps increase airflow and decrease issues
in the end Id rather try to keep up with 6 to 8' plants
they dont fall down much from heavy dews and wind in late season
using the green stretchy tape to tie branches is tedious

most outdoor growers up northish start june 1st cause plants jump and do just as well as may planted ones in the end
only reason to start ealier is to finish at a decent date.
only reason not to is cold and light cycles
jumping from long indoor cycles to natural ones is best done over a few days with remay at first and if too much of a change makes em start to flower
sometimes some strains freak from this and get 1/2 vegging 1/2 flowering or making single blade leaves...

The bigger the pot, the bigger the plant, my mendo buddy says

we are good with 30 gallon grow bags and 8'ers

what's BEST tho, is what works for you in your garden

dont forget a big monster plant can go through 5 gallons a day of water too...

I think im gonna go with smaller 6-8 foot plants like you mentioned. Thanks for the advice.

When you say they start june 1st, you mean they plant outdoors with being vegged indoors or without being vegged indoors? I'm trying to get ~7 foot plants so do i need to veg indoors?

I don't see how starting earlier makes me finish sooner, since the sun will start my girls flowering on february 6th when the sun drops below 14 hours of light( i think). can you explain what you mean?

Thanks for all the info. It really helps.

Also to prevent flowering when i move them outside should i just match the amount of light outdoors? I dont need to hit them with 24 hours of light a day to veg them into monsters, i just need to keep some clones alive. How many hours should i give them?

Farmer B

Watch the episode lol. Veg in winter and keep toping to keep from flowering. Stop topping when you want to flower.

expealadocious

Just my opinion here but... bigger plants are wayyyyy better than smaller plants!
Maybe its just me but quality seems better..lots of reasons really...
I like watching them rage! Rage out in veg...prune lower growth off.. tie down...flower...boom.
Really though, every variety is different so you have to learn how to dial your strain in

FishmanK

Hehe!
and "Good for you!"
w precision in communication!
ic

I think im gonna go with smaller 6-8 foot plants like you mentioned. Thanks for the advice.
Thats working for us with less molds and less support ties/TIME per plant

When you say they start june 1st, you mean they plant outdoors with being vegged indoors or without being vegged indoors? I'm trying to get ~7 foot plants so do i need to veg indoors?

Yes!
My neighbor always starts bring in starts and planting rock wool blocks in big trenches
I feel they pause when presented with such a large change of soil volume
I have started now just with mothers for starts to veg to 2' (optimally) for going inland and outside sometime after may 1st when the ground has warmed

You can hit 7' witghout vegging
You can get bigger thicker healthier plants/flowers w vegging and even top to cause bushier form to limit size

I don't see how starting earlier makes me finish sooner, since the sun will start my girls flowering on february 6th when the sun drops below 14 hours of light( i think). can you explain what you mean?
yes

starting earlier has one advantage, ime, of allowing one to finish PLANTING earlier, giving max grow time for more plants and max chillax for me in July/Aug
please forgive my vague statement previously
heh

I just put up this post I did a few years ago on another forum
Starts method I use

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it.
I will veg indoors then, and top my plants a lot. Plus i can always cut them down to size before they start flowering.

Now i just need to set up a lil veg table and get my clones! I'm finally getting an early start to this. :)

L

larry badiner

don't risk it: clean your grow area with a 10:1 water:bleach solution and clean 3 or 4 times with water. you don't want those bugs and molds coming back

also big plants are good, but you're better saving that room for a mother plant, cloning chamber and an air cooled chamber for sea of green like I'm doing in a couple of months. i vegged my plants for about 2 months and got monster plants, and ended up chucking them because i couldn't kill the thrips on my plants