What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ebb and Flow versus DWC yield

Maui Boy

I'm currently running 3 8'x4' tables with 30 plants each. My partner wants to switch to a 48 bucket DWC system saying that our yield will increase. We're running 3 600w lights per table. My partner says it'll be easier and the production of larger plants will offset the number of plants.
Any experienced growers out there with advice on yield by going to buckets and cutting our plant volume from 90 to 48?
Any advice would be helpful.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Any way you can talk him into just switching ONE table out... with a DWC bucket system?

If he can out-produce the other tables, reliably.... go ahead and switch out the others. :D Shouldn't be too difficult to find a system that can be easily upgraded if need be, and with the extra yield (supposedly)... springing for the extra, after the initial system purchase, shouldn't be an issue. :D

Stay Safe! :tree:

well, how much are you yielding on the tables? Them buckets are yielding anywhere from 70 to 100 grams per bucket. Add that up and you have at the most 4800 grams. I hope that helps you out.

Insert not trying to be a dick disclaimer here.

Problem number one having a partner. Beyond that, switching from Ebb and Flow to DWC is not going to be a game changer. You can read thousands of post on which system is better and why. If you are dialed in with the Ebb and Flow or getting fair results and learning, switching now would not be a sound business decision. You would be spending money for no real good reason.

In short you have the Ebb and Flow, there is no reason that that can't work. If its not broke don't fix it. Never take a profitable production line down. If you want to look at DWC try it out as a small expansion. If you like it go with a bigger expansion.

TFD

Japanfreakier

Veteran
regardless of your method you shouldn't really see too much of a difference if you're good at that style.

Ebb&Flow has got to be easier then dwc though.

SKUNK420

Insert not trying to be a dick disclaimer here.

Problem number one having a partner. Beyond that, switching from Ebb and Flow to DWC is not going to be a game changer. You can read thousands of post on which system is better and why. If you are dialed in with the Ebb and Flow or getting fair results and learning, switching now would not be a sound business decision. You would be spending money for no real good reason.

In short you have the Ebb and Flow, there is no reason that that can't work. If its not broke don't fix it. Never take a profitable production line down. If you want to look at DWC try it out as a small expansion. If you like it go with a bigger expansion.

TFD
very nice piece of advice

You can stay e&f and just go sog. more plants less veg time.
or
48 dwc will need longer veg time to equal the 90 plants you had between three 4x8 tables.
So money for new system plus trial and error getting it to work. With that right there you are now behind in your yield goals.
Also summer is upon us so if your not dwc experienced then now is not the time unless you got the time and money and like head aches.

very nice piece of advice

You can stay e&f and just go sog. more plants less veg time.
or
48 dwc will need longer veg time to equal the 90 plants you had between three 4x8 tables.
So money for new system plus trial and error getting it to work. With that right there you are now behind in your yield goals.
Also summer is upon us so if your not dwc experienced then now is not the time unless you got the time and money and like head aches.

I think the SOG idea is sound. I don't really get the summer thing.

I think you should at least try DWC, because IMO it is the only "real" kind of hydroponics. Other methods are just automated watering systems of dry media, not much different than soil growing. With DWC there is constant access to nutes, water, and air to the roots, but like someone said above of root rot, things never go "a little wrong," they are full blown lost plants/crop failures. Also, root mass is unparallelled in DWC, making for a bigger harvest. I've tried many wet and dry methods, still haven't mastered any but still think you should try hydro.

I think you should at least try DWC, because IMO it is the only "real" kind of hydroponics. Other methods are just automated watering systems of dry media, not much different than soil growing. With DWC there is constant access to nutes, water, and air to the roots, but like someone said above of root rot, things never go "a little wrong," they are full blown lost plants/crop failures. Also, root mass is unparallelled in DWC, making for a bigger harvest. I've tried many wet and dry methods, still haven't mastered any but still think you should try hydro.

Damn! Ebb & flow isn't hydroponics? What did you think of aeroponics when you used it?

holy

with 600's overhead i think it'd be more efficient to run more plants in e&f, keeping the plants shorter and closer to the lights. the taller and bigger you let the plants get in buckets, the less likely your 600's will penetrate all of the extra growth. imo yield from dialed in hydro systems is more about light distribution and efficiency rather the hydro method.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i would increase the lamps from 600 to 1000 - that'll give you more yeild.