What's new

is it ok to let buds rest against the walls?

nizmo

Ok so i have 4 plants that are 8 weeks into flower with at least a couple of weeks to go.

The problem is (and i guess its a good problem to have) is that the cola's are so heavy they are constantly falling over and leaning against the walls of my grow area.

The question is, is it ok to let them rest like that? I tie them back as best as i can but its a losing battle. There are too many of them and they keep finding new directions to fall. Is there some reason why i should keep trying to hard to prop them all up? Or can i just let them be?

What's your humidity like? I would try and tie them up, especially if there are a couple weeks left. You don't want the stems snapping either.

nizmo

There's no chance of stem snapping. They are growing in an enclosed space, they can only bend so much (which is why they always rest against the walls, because they don't need to move much to hit them)

nizmo

Humidity is 50%. Outside humidity is 80% so 50 is about as good as it gets and i have a dehumidifier running constantly.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would not worry. I grow in a small tent and things get mashed up a bit sometimes.

As long as humidity is in check your all good. Try using some bamboo or plastic stakes in your bucket. This will give you something to tie off on and still leave your plant mobile. Unlike scrog.
Good luck

it's best to tie em up if you can. resting against the walls in a high humidity environment can lead to mold, also having to split their energy between growing and building stronger branches leads to lowered yields in my experience. when the branches lean like that unsupported it signals the plant to put more energy into thickening the branches.

DemonTrich

Veteran
I use about 7-11 6' stakes per 5 gal pot to hold everything up. then at week 6 I tie the stuff I missed a while ago that are hanging over.

nizmo

it's best to tie em up if you can. resting against the walls in a high humidity environment can lead to mold, also having to split their energy between growing and building stronger branches leads to lowered yields in my experience. when the branches lean like that unsupported it signals the plant to put more energy into thickening the branches.

Don't mean to be rude, but you seem to have not read my post properly

1) You say 'in a high humidity environment' - is 50% considered too high?
2) They are not unsupported, they are resting against the walls

nizmo

Can you slightly rotate containers every few days? Buds are pretty resilient.

No way, there is no moving these plants. Almost every single cola is at the point where its falling over and resting against the walls. If i attempted to rotate the containers not only would it be pointless in the sense that they would all be resting against the walls, just in different locations - but i would probably break them because while i was rotating them they would get caught on the wall and possibly snap some shit.

Ill see if i can take some pictures when the lights are off this evening.

Don't mean to be rude, but you seem to have not read my post properly

1) You say 'in a high humidity environment' - is 50% considered too high?
2) They are not unsupported, they are resting against the walls

50th post.

nah i read it. when you have buds flowering anything over 30% is high humidity. you don't want your buds leaning against the wall because there will be moisture there when the lights go off from the respiration of the plants.
when the branches are leaning over and unable to stand up on their own they are technically unsupported. so all the parts that are flexing under the weight are being instructed to grow stronger whereas if you had them tied up from the top and not ...leaning on themselves...i'm at a loss for words right now. but basically if there's any leaning then the pinch point of the lean is trying to grow more tissue so that it doesn't have any lean in the future. like imagine holding up a fishing pole, now add weight to it, when it starts bending it's not strong enough to hold up the weight. when your branches do that, they shift their attention to getting stronger so that they can hold the weight.

:huggg:

i thought you could edit your own posts and send PM's and shit after 50 posts?

anyway when i said high humidity i meant to say "high humidity" as in there will be blood...i mean moisture in the air. enough to condense on walls at lights out and cause mold.

sdd420

Veteran
You can't stake hydro but use string and keep them under light . If using a tent then string across metal supports and tie your cola up.
A screen can be tied to the supports also then just tuck the shoot into the grid to keep it upright. Peace sdd

sdd420

Veteran
Is that hydro ton? Looks like a bag of some thing and then of course you can stake. Nice grow regardless
Is that Rw ?

Latest posts

Latest posts