What's new

Seeds cracking open in calyxs

R

Rubber Chicken

I have had bad luck with seeds cracking open while still in the calyxs.

I read some people saying take care of the humidity but they are outdoor not indoor.

It hasn't even been humid, is there anything i can do, or is it just normal?

thchunter

sounds like your rh is out of whack if you have them popping in the calyxs must be really wet in your tent whats your night time rh?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Has there been a heavy dew at night? I have never seen it happen but makes sense if they were soaked all night maybe they would germ? Interesting for sure. Looking forward to what other members think.

R

Rubber Chicken

There hasn't been any dew or humid weather that's why i'm a bit baffled.

I know when it's cold and dewy the flowers can be wet for a long time and start to germinate seeds but it hasn't been.

R

Rubber Chicken

I think i might have solved my mystery.........

Sometimes i spray the plants with soapy water to remove spidermites and forget to wash them off.

I think maybe the soapy residue afftects the growing seed somehow, but i don't know how?

Spraying in flower is asking for trouble. But yes, it explains where your moisture is coming from. When you spray, it's getting trapped in the buds. I can't imagine what that stuff will taste like. A nice earthy combo of dead mites and soap? lol.

R

Rubber Chicken

:biglaugh:

I usually wash the soapy water away and it it works fine, it doesn't take long for them to dry out, but i noticed when i forgot to wash the soapy water off it seemed to dry the leaves out or suffocate them them a bit, so thats why i thought it might be doing something to the seeds aswell.

CoCoSativas

I have had bad luck with seeds cracking open while still in the calyxs.

I read some people saying take care of the humidity but they are outdoor not indoor.

It hasn't even been humid, is there anything i can do, or is it just normal?

Seeds germ in on a plant? I'd guess that's a outdoor problem I've never heard it happen indoor before (though I'm sure it has) that's totally wild.

I love catching these threads. I've learned all sorts of weird problems outdoor plants have. I've only ever grown indoors so I find it very interesting

CoCoSativas

Hey tg the name of the thread made me laugh but it's no laughing matter.

Crazy what happens to outdoor plants I thank my blessings I grow indoors