What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aloha White Widow

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's been a few days and we are starting to break ground -
There are 5 spiders climbing out and reaching for the sky.
I bet we'll see a few more come out to play in the next few days....

Aloha

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Btw...

More than a handful of times, I have had ChemD with me in social situations, and uncles boys I don't know or run around with have commented on how tasty the widow being smoked is. As we were biting thru ChemD.

That always cracks me up when it happens.
It's not everytime. But apparently the ChemD has something that's triggering Thoughts of Widows' past.

Shootz

TheFlyinHaWyn!

too bad the other thread got binned, I liked most of what was happening there. :D

I smoked tons of the dirty. so much I got sick of her, but she was the best around at the time, well that was when the Jonnhy Ds and the Wanky were not around. very astringent. straight widow. nothing like her out there in the past 5-10 years or so, nowhere in America when I went up there. she still around I know, but when uncle got busted in fern forest with underground bunker and lights, it was pau. and he wasn't the only one to grow her. he was the last big one tho.

she has her place on the pedestal, but if you smoke her all the time, you get tired, like anything else. I love me some awesome tasting weed, but I also like me some bush weed too at times lol. anywhoo, I was looking for the other thread, but looks like its gone, so here I am.

aloha grey, it was me with tha docta my brutha this past weekend. got to bring some of surfds shit out :) good shit all the way around. I smoked your shit too bro, nice stuff. aloha, malama pono and laki maikai on those beans bro. a hui hou

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
too bad the other thread got binned, I liked most of what was happening there. :D

I smoked tons of the dirty. so much I got sick of her, but she was the best around at the time, well that was when the Jonnhy Ds and the Wanky were not around. very astringent. straight widow. nothing like her out there in the past 5-10 years or so, nowhere in America when I went up there. she still around I know, but when uncle got busted in fern forest with underground bunker and lights, it was pau. and he wasn't the only one to grow her. he was the last big one tho.

she has her place on the pedestal, but if you smoke her all the time, you get tired, like anything else. I love me some awesome tasting weed, but I also like me some bush weed too at times lol. anywhoo, I was looking for the other thread, but looks like its gone, so here I am.

aloha grey, it was me with tha docta my brutha this past weekend. got to bring some of surfds shit out :) good shit all the way around. I smoked your shit too bro, nice stuff. aloha, malama pono and laki maikai on those beans bro. a hui hou

America is the land of plenty but sometimes it just never gets the goods haha. I ran into widow, or what I was told was widow, one time on the mainland. One of my patients commented that it was like the widow he had in Amsterdam - it was very pukey/bile-esque in aroma. Smokes mean. I only sourced it the one time... But it was nothing like the D to me.

I'm curious if I'm gonna find good tasting weed, or some freaking bush action.

Yeah ThaDocta rolled thru with the freaking goddamn jar of Excalibur and some of the tastiest bubble hash rosin ever. His shit is alway the best. He spoke highly of both you and surfd, and sent me a few pics of what surfd gave you to bring over. You guys know what you're doing! If I could pick bids off the nug in the pics of have been pretty freaking stoked. One day.

Shootz!

idiit

Veteran
very astringent. straight widow
^ yes, this appears to be the more common aww phneo terp wise. I unwittingly used it in my sativa dom santa maria hybrid ( sm/aww) and the astringent aww2 taste translated into the progeny. I did not like at all the taste of sm/aww using an astringent male2.

I call the astringent aww (2) and the sweet sweet aww pheno 'st'.

Q). how do you know if you got the 'st' or astringent ( aww2) male for breeding?

A). you don't until you grow out the progeny.

There are different aww phenos; super frosty, smells like rock candy, tastes so sweet organic sweet, astringent,.......

ok, so you reverse the 'st' female once you got one. Well, aww does not have a lot of pistils. Not going to be a lot of reversed pollen me suspects.

Also aww is the hardest to clone strain I've worked with and once she goes into autoflower (age, rootbound) it is hard to get her back in veg.

i'm looking at using aww 'st' as the female in most of my crosses. the "word" out there so long was that you needed to use a male but the truth might be the opposite. too early for a pollen chucker to say. :)

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Really hope u find sumthin bro.... U se em to have great luck popping beans..... I recently lost the Sharon widow heard from my sources he lost it to.. Sad but she was a tired clone that refused to perform anymore in all hands.... Good luck greyskull if any can find a replacement widow I'm glad its u with the stash to find her...

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Little update action...
The ground breaking on the 6th has been 10 days of wishful thinking haha

So 5 it is....
I'm gonna move them from cups to 4" pots in the next few days, then sit them down to grow out while and see what they do and don't do.

Aloha

Happy Times

^

Q). how do you know if you got the 'st' or astringent ( aww2) male for breeding?

A). you don't until you grow out the progeny.

Any signs from the aroma of the males in flower? Sorry - newb question, never had the chance to have a room for flowering out males

Arf

Kind of off track, but in another thread I read that someone had noticed White Widow had some weird stalk only trichomes without the little round resin balls on the top. Is that still the case with this variety? You would need like a 20x magnifier to see them.

idiit

Veteran
Any signs from the aroma of the males in flower? Sorry - newb question, never had the chance to have a room for flowering out males
not from me. if running more than one aww male I would have pollen from
"who's your daddy?" I run one male at a time and i'm not able to really tell by smell.

there are different phenos based on leaf size/shape along with some that have an indica wld type meristem and some more like indica/sativa looking. easier for me to differentiate.

my 'sweet thang' gal has the look of a lot of sativa influence.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kind of off track, but in another thread I read that someone had noticed White Widow had some weird stalk only trichomes without the little round resin balls on the top. Is that still the case with this variety? You would need like a 20x magnifier to see them.

Those oilless hairs are called cistolithic trichomes.
Ime, they're on nearly every plant. Some are more pronounced than others.

I've only ever seen them thick coating a plant twice over the last 25 years or so.

Arf

Those oilless hairs are called cistolithic trichomes.
Ime, they're on nearly every plant. Some are more pronounced than others.

I've only ever seen them thick coating a plant twice over the last 25 years or so.

No, that's not what I meant. I was reading another thread last week, and either Chimera or Sam had mentioned White Widow having an abundance of stalk only trichomes, in other words, the globular ball at the top of the stalk had not formed. I simply wanted to see and example of this so I posted here.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aloha
Here's a little update on the AWW F4s...

Been keeping them under 24/0 (as usual) and it seems like there might be some action going on.

I have a feeling that #7 is a male.

Are there more? We will see!!!
But for now it's still a game of sit and watch.

Here's the AWW group w #7 in the middle

And here is a little snippet of why I think it's a male...

idiit

Veteran
if you start clockwise with 4 on the outside, 1 in the middle; the one at 11:00 looks like my sweet thang leaning pheno looking at it's upper lower left fan leaf. sweet thang ( mine) has more more of a nld/sat look to her but she still has wld influence.

is the 11:00 pheno showing purple petioles? my 'sweet thang" pheno does.

i'm going thru some seed stock atm seeing what's in there. i've got a couple showing some frostier looking early veg leaf with a wld/indica lean.

i'm wanting to avoid the acerbic/astringent phenos for breeding.

sweet thang tastes "sweet sweet" in a very natural way.

greyskull, those 5 plants look like what my seed stock is putting out with the percentages about right too on 1/5 narrower leaves in early veg.

i'm not an indoor grower.

i'm an outdoor guerilla grower metro are.

i'm stoked to see what someone with your skill level can do with the jojo aww seedstock.

i'm only running aww in hybrids for my landrace sativas as commercial seed stock for outdoor/greenhouse growers.

I would rate the high of jojo aww up there with fine landrace sativas and great potency as an added benefit.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you start clockwise with 4 on the outside, 1 in the middle; the one at 11:00 looks like my sweet thang leaning pheno looking at it's upper lower left fan leaf. sweet thang ( mine) has more more of a nld/sat look to her but she still has wld influence.

is the 11:00 pheno showing purple petioles? my 'sweet thang" pheno does.

i'm going thru some seed stock atm seeing what's in there. i've got a couple showing some frostier looking early veg leaf with a wld/indica lean.

i'm wanting to avoid the acerbic/astringent phenos for breeding.

sweet thang tastes "sweet sweet" in a very natural way.

greyskull, those 5 plants look like what my seed stock is putting out with the percentages about right too on 1/5 narrower leaves in early veg.

i'm not an indoor grower.

i'm an outdoor guerilla grower metro are.

i'm stoked to see what someone with your skill level can do with the jojo aww seedstock.

i'm only running aww in hybrids for my landrace sativas as commercial seed stock for outdoor/greenhouse growers.

I would rate the high of jojo aww up there with fine landrace sativas and great potency as an added benefit.

Hoooooo
That's plant #9. And it's the one that catches my eyes the most so far.... Something about the fluidity of the leaf formation I find sexy.

Does it have purple petioles? Eh if it does it's not showing.

But..... Your question had me inspect the plant. You know what I found?

#9 is a male!!!!!!!
As I was popping the inner hurds yesterday it felt like 9 has a nice hollow stem from the pop.

I am excited that there are at least a couple makes to choose from, and of those, there's 1 that I am excited about. I'll try to get a pic real quick...

But there's still way more to come.
Because these genes are getting used!!!!
Looking forward to getting copies made and then sending the seedlings out to show me what they are.

Idiit - thanks for the Intel and kind words. Aloha!

idiit

Veteran
Any signs from the aroma of the males in flower? Sorry - newb question, never had the chance to have a room for flowering out males Happy Times

I gots another aww seedling i'm growing out. leaves look frosty. I'm a gonna smoke the fan leaves of 'st' and compare to leaves off male "3".

idiit

Veteran
I gots another aww seedling i'm growing out. leaves look frosty. I'm a gonna smoke the fan leaves of 'st' and compare to leaves off male "3".
the fan leaves off the male #3 were really good. I know.... I just post my results from my perspective. sweet, not acrid. will use the male pollen to hit up my 'st' pheno.

now, here's why i'm stoked about aww. they used northern lights and skunk to fatten up and shorten flowering time on sativas like haze. a great up, energetic skunk had had the perfect high and would fatten up the colas some and decrease the flowering time but you did not get the heavy "phat chewy" bud structure. still multiple cannabis cup winners and rightly so.

the northern lights if a super frosty mate was selected put out some grail hybrids as well but the high was left heavier.

aww has a very potent sativa type high. the quality of sativa high is very good imo.

here's aww/seeds of Africa malawi gold outdoor grown:

picture.php