What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indian Swamp Gungi Grow Method - From OG

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Yeah, its handy for crystallizing stoner thoughts, heheh. Kinda like crayons for a little kid.

Rare Groove

Looks like some great ideas here...hopefully we can see them in action once the weather warms up. I actually tried the swamp wick system a few years ago. Took one 5-gal bucket and cut openings along the bottom sides to let water in. Took a second 5-gal bucket & cut holes in the bottom and shoved wick material through. Put screws in from the outside of this bucket and let it sit inside the first bucket. This way it sits up a bit and doesn't get flooded out. I used hydroton, wood chips, and anything else I could find that would fill that bucket and wick water. Long story short, this system worked GREAT. The only problem was that I chose a cotton material for the wicks, they were almost non-existant by the end of the season. With a better material and some fine-tuning, the outdoor wick setup could probably do wonders.

Also like the floating planter idea! It might be hard to pull off in spots where stealth is a major concern, but I guess in those areas going out and hitting a big-ass pipe with a sledge hammer might not be too stealthy either.

Thanks folks :joint:

Swamp Thang

Veteran
This idea is identical to one described by Breeder Brad at Cannabis Culture, under the topic " Swamp Tubes " in the Outdoor Grow section, except that instead of PVC tubes, Brad's idea called for a more complicated and time consuming construction of a cylinder using wire mesh lined with plastic.

Rare Groove's idea looks far easier to set up, and to those worried about flooding, the location would best be someplace in the swamp where at least 3 feet of PVC tubing rises above the water line, and where the marsh/mud below the water line is dense enough to support the weight of the PVC pipe's contents of wick material and soil that will be poured in. Definitely that PVC pipe will need to driven as deep into the muck as possible so that it does not later tip over from the weight of its contents. Three long poles can be driven into the mud beside the PVC pipe and tied to it to keep it upright in really soft terrain.

The inner pipe used to expell water from the planter seems redundant to me since most of the PVC pipe contents will be sitting above the water line. This idea works as I know someone who achieved the same result with stacks of 3 dirt-filled tires, and yes, the plants never again needed to be watered after the very first time. PVC piping certainly is far lighter and easier to transport that car tires, and far less complicated than Breeder Brad's labor-intensive tube construction from wire mesh.

Rare Groove, you are The Man. Dubya would be proud.

Last edited:
O

OG Royal Grower

very very interesting... i really want to see a grow documented this way

O

oldsterone-OG

Respectfully, I think this is making swamp growing too complicated. I will stick with my bucket method in the bog...five gallon buckets hold 3-5 plants for me. To avoid root rot Wamen, I settle my buckets down into about two inches of wet peat bog muck--no further. I don't note much wicking up; the plant roots go down to near where the water is, then swirl...when I pull my buckets, the bottom two inches are jet black soil, and then there is the swirl of the roots, round and round so it is mostly white!

I like to be able to move my buckets; I also like the drainage I get in big thunderstorms; I also like to be able to pick up my bucket and dump the soil into the lake after I chop. I say again, rich potting soil does not belong in bogs; you have to haul it out, and this pipe business seems to lessen the chance that a grower will do this.

Maybe I care about my bog because I own it...each year, it is the perfect place for my buds, and I am not about to disrespect it...invasive plants are drawn to that rich soil.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Oldsterone the only drawback I can imagine with your setup would be if the technique was used in a swamp where the water level rises a couple of feet seasonally. Taller PVC pipes would stay above the water-line in such places, but 5 gallon buckets might become totally submerged in swamps where annual rains swell the river more than a few inches.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
I agree with oldsterone. to make it work you'd have to do just what swamp thing said. build it 3 ft high out of the water. and I don't think a weed plant on a flag pole is all that stealthy

I mean all this work for each plant? doesn't seem realistic.

I still just don't see the advantage of this over regular swamp growing methods. and I see quite a few disadvantages.

I mean I'm not trying to be a hater, I'd love to see this work. it just doesn't seem practical though.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
For most applications I would use Oldsterone's super basic method, for applications where water levels could rise or fall, or where you are planting in a pond or lake, thats where it has to get more complicated.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
lol at the floating on a tyre one. it would probably work tho :D
i would say just to plant near water or where the roots can reach the water table.

Rare Groove

Interesting discussion here. I agree that this isn't the simplest method or suited for all locations. I do think that it's got potential up here though. Lots of different elevations and micro-climates... If I can grow some low/no maintenance 10-12' plants in remote swamp locations where most people wouldn't even think to go, then I wouldn't even mind only being able to run one plant per setup.

As for the soil, oldsterone, I do have to agree with you that ditching potting soil in swamps is not a very conservation-minded approach. If I do attempt this method I plan to carry-in/carry-out as much as possible. I think that's one of the most important aspects of growing outdoors anywhere. How big have you been able to get 3-5 plants in a 5 gallon bucket? And what type of soil/medium do you fill the buckets with?

I'm interested in any sort of effective swamp growing as I think it solves a lot of outdoor issues. If I get ambitious enough in the spring, I'd like to try the swamp wick-method again. Any suggestions on good materials to use for wicks? I'm also interested in hearing about any more methods that have been successful in swamps. :joint:

G

Man outdoor hydroponics sounds like a really good idea :yes:

If you get the roots growing in the lake.. Boom!

You would need to find some good way to fend off the mold though.. Like mold eating bacteria or something... It's pretty damp

..hmm.. A floating garden.

..Do you think I could pull that off on say a fairly big sailboat?.. :D

Last edited:

Rare Groove

So I just remembered this class I took in college about agricultural practices. We learned how the Aztecs built artificial islands called chinampas on Lake Texcoco in order feed everyone. An interesting concept in today's world. I found some info at http://history-world.org/aztec5.htm

In and around the lake, however, the Aztecs adopted an ingenious system of irrigated agriculture by constructing chinampas for agriculture. These were beds of aquatic weeds, mud, and earth that had been placed in frames made of cane and rooted to the lake floor. They formed artificial floating islands about five meters long and 30 to 100 meters wide. This narrow, striplike construction allowed the water to reach all the plants, and willow trees were also planted at intervals to give shade and help fix the roots...The yield from chinampa agriculture was high and four corn crops a year were possible.

Your comment on floating gardens got me thinking about the chinampas, SF. As far as the sailboat garden- that would be beyond cool if you could pull it off. Not sure how you'd run wicks through the bottom and still have it float though...

O

oldsterone-OG

Rare groove, check my gallery to see my pontoon full of harvested plants. I don't allow them to get above six feet, but most of my strains last year got near there...then I pinch or tie them back...I don't want them to rise above the cattails. I use something called Mississippi topsoil...it is a manure/compost mix, and a little pricey but it works. The plants absolutely thrive; last year in 100 degree heat my plants were purring away. Breederbrad has suggested over on unleash the green that we should throw some lime down there, since peat bog soil is acidic...I will do this next year.

I do not worry about wicks. The roots go down and get what they need.

But I should stress, my situation is ideal. My lake is small, deep and clean. Excess rain water might raise my water level a few inches, but it quickly drains back down, and the level remains generally constant since it is fed by major springs, some of the springs coming up around my grow spots are actually carbonated!

These plants were grown in five gallon buckets. It is simple but it works. I finished 14 plants...schnazzleberry, derailed blues, mighty mite, mauwieXskunk, sadhu, blueberry (bad idea in the north). Again, respectfully, I am glad I did not have 14 pvc pipes to yank and haul...the buckets stack up, and I am on my pontoon headed for home.

O

oldsterone-OG

And this link will take you to the secret to dealing with mold. I spray my plants with aspirin water once a week starting August 1. Don't exceed one aspirin per gallon. With this method I have not had mold in six years, and I grow where it is pretty nasty for we and cold.

Sorry for the double post everyone...here is the link that explains it.

http://www.bluestem.ca/willow-article1.htm

Rare Groove

oldsterone-OG said:
Again, respectfully, I am glad I did not have 14 pvc pipes to yank and haul...the buckets stack up, and I am on my pontoon headed for home.

True story. I think I'm only going to try a few of the PVC setups. More of an experiment than anything. That Schnazzleberry looks really nice! I like the colors it has going on. Might have to look into that one. Thanks for all the info :joint:

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Oldsterone that Aspirin idea ( and link ) as a mold preventitive has got to be the magic bullet that many growers are still unaware of. There is no more humid, mold inducing an environment than a swamp, and if you have prevented mold for 6 years in such a locale there is no question it works. Virtually all of my previous swamp grow attempts fell victim to mold before harvest time, so this one I've gotta try. Mucho Gracias.

Rare Groove, peat moss or coconut husk were the materials Breeder Brad suggested for wick medium that fills the lower half of the planting cylinder. Of the two, coconut husk would probably last longer before decaying in those very wet conditions.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
The PVC pipe idea is more for situations where you are growing in some depth of water, like a pond or lake. I don't think it would be practical in a marsh or bog where their isn't deep sitting water. The nature of the PVC device is to make growing in standing water possible.

Bogs/marshes--Buckets/planters
Ponds/lakes---PVC pipe planters

O

oldsterone-OG

Ok, I get that backcountry...I have plenty of both I guess.

I forgot to credit some ogers with my bucket method...two heads and a guy named sasquatch taugh me about how bags work, and I simply added the buckets.

I have learned a lot about this plant from growers like you, and yet the fact is there: in the 1970's I actually peed on my plants; here in the 21st century, I have grown Lowryder.

Grow and learn I guess.

G

Excellent discution here!!!

Nice teks for the swamps,but most of all the MOLD!!!
Question as a big assed grower?What about rain washing it off?
How do i spray 800 plants to prevent my worst enemy MOLD!
This sounds GREAT i will try thanks much,the willow i knew of just never tried?
Peace!

O

oldsterone-OG

Spray it once a week, rain or shine lou.

Since I am trying to stay out of the pokey, I have tiny grows, but if you grow that many plants, squeezing a spray bottle should be the least of your work.

For 50 bucks, you could get a backpack sprayer.

Latest posts

Latest posts