What's new

The Seed Pickin Thread

thejact55

Hello all.

In the spirit of currently harvesting many plants for seeds, I feel inclined to start a discussion/learning platform on harvesting seeds. There is some info, a lot really, but not one that I can recall just dedicated to this subject. I am no pro, but with about 800 seeds picked this run so far, and estimating many many thousands over the last few years I've been in to this aspect of growing, I'm not a newbie also. These are my methods, I'm sure they are not the best or most efficient, but that is fine. I would love to hear some input, as I have a lot to learn also.

When to pollinate? I find its best to separate the males and females before the pollen flys. Males tend to mature flower wise faster than females. If you want a good amount of seeds, separate and let the females flower for a few weeks unbothered. Let a lot of pistils be present, and maybe a little resin.

-We can all agree, over-pollination is super crappy...and easy to do. Not a lot worse than seeing a mass of non-viable white seeds bulging from the bud. I pollinate by shaking the male over the female, then separating again, and waiting a day or two. I look at the pistils, if they are starting to wilt and turn brown, your good. if not, give the male another shake, and wait again. Pollen is powerful, a little can go a long ways. I would rather have less healthy seeds, than over pollinate.

- I find that the length of flowering time a plant normally has, has no effect on the time it takes to produce seeds. longer flowering narrow leaf plants may take longer to show flowers, but once pollinated, it doesn't have a huge effect. I find that 5-6 weeks is a good round number for seed making time. Mango Biche, an 18-24 week flowerer was one of my quickest finishers seed wise. I have seen some paki/affie plants that took some time for them to mature. I find sativa seeds are easier to tell when done, and easier to pick. dense buds seem to have calyxs that don't like to open as much and are harder to tell when done unless you pick some. this could be untrue and just my limited experience.

-How to tell when seeds are done? The calyx, seed pod whatever will be swollen, to the touch you can tell there is a hard seed in there. The pod a lot of times will open up, exposing the tip of the seed, but this isn't always the case. The pod can yellow, starting at the base. The pod generally should fall off easily when touched, you shouldn't have to yank them off. I find the seeds at the lowest part of the bud, closest to the stem mature the fastest. the seeds at the lowest branches and upper tip of the cola seem to take longer. at 4 weeks or so, based on appearance, I will pick tester seeds. one or two at the base of a bud. Seeds might not mature all at once, if you're impatient you can pick the ones at the base, and dig for those deep in the bud and wait for the rest. This very well could be in my head, but I think if you pick a batch of seeds before all are done, the rest mature quicker. again, this could be totally wrong. Patience is always best though, don't take em early, they harden and mature fast anyways.

Harvesting seeds: I'm curious how others do this also. I do it while the plant is still alive. it always me good face time, to enjoy the plant close up. it also is therapeutic to me, it allows me to mediate, think and review things in my head, while giving me something to do. After I find the bulk of the seeds are mature, I start in the middle of the plant, seems like seeds mature fastest here and dig for the deepest seeds first, they are the most mature always, then work my way out. I take the husks off a couple ways. I will take a small amount, and rub them between my pointer and thumb to rub off the husks, they should come off fairly easy. I find this is a 5 max at a time process. I will also pick as many husks as I can with one hand and drop them in the palm of my other hand. I collect like 10 or 20, then rub my two hand together violently. the husks come off and ball up and the seeds are now exposed. I gently pluck out the plant matter and put the seeds in a container. sticky hands and fingers make for hard handling no doubt. I also rough up my seeds pretty good, if they cant handle it, they are trash. Give them the squeeze test. if they pop, they are no good. white seeds are generally no good, just keep the hard brown ones. If you pick one by one, you can get your fingernail in the opening of the husk and roll the seed out also. I fear if I cut and dry the plant, the husks might open and seeds drop out, making me lose them. anyone harvest a plant, then collect seeds? I would assume this might help them mature more though?

drying and storing: I keep them in a shot glass, small bowl or whatever container that allows them to dry. I keep them open air for 2-3 weeks, I don't know how long other do, but this seems to work. every day or two, I stir them up, especially if they are stacked up on each other. After that I put them in an airtight container, small baggies, like a meth baggie size (lol) for me, then label strain and harvest date. I then put them in a larger ziplock bag, then another...just in case, and store in my seed fridge. Just above freezing for me, I think others may freeze, but 10 year old seeds seem to pop fine for me using a fridge. if you do freeze, make sure the seeds are dry!

I think I had more to say, but cant remember now. Let me know if you have questions. comments and other techniques/methods are welcome. go make some seeds! (sorry breeders who do this for a living:nanana:) (but support them also :) )

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I do similar but put the seeds into airtight containers, foil pouches, vials. If they are left in the little baggies, I put those into a foil pouch or the no smell baggies which are airtight. Two layers of protection, such as a foil pouch into a tupperware container. Then into the fridge.

Have not frozen yet but will one day. If frozen right the seeds are unlimited in longevity.

seeded

Seed production takes at least 5 weeks, sometimes up to 8 though for for fully mature batch of seeds. The longer you leave the seeds growing the more will mature and you can't overcook them short of having them fall out of the flower so the longer you leave them the better your seeds will be.

When to pollinate? It depends on what you want really. Most strains go through 3 distinctive flowering periods and which one you pollinate on will determine what happens. Too early and you'll get small, extremely pollinated flowers. Midway and you'll get a mid range point and leaving it too late will result in an extended flowering time. Personally though I'd recommend pollination as they start packing on the weight after the first browning of hairs as it seems to be about the sweet spot.

Harvesting the seed is best done using a thin wire kitchen strainer and bowl. You dry the buds and grind them into the strainer above the bowl making the seeds and stems collect in the siv and all the other stuff in the bowl below. That said I recommend slowly pouring the seeds into the other hand while blowing on them to separate the undesirable seeds and plant material from the decent seeds :tiphat:

X

xavier7995

If I am looking to pull all the seeds at once I leave the buds out for a few days until they will crumble to a powder. Then I just start smashing them in the palm of my hand and dump the contents into a shoebox or similar. Then incline one end of the box and use some sort of index card or whatever to move the crushed weed around the high end with the idea of the seeds rolling out. It is the olde style using an album cover to clean weed method.

Strainer and a bowl is a good idea. Going to give that a shot.

Edit: man...i wrote a lot of words when I should have just said "card it on an inclined plane to roll them out."

Betterhaff

Veteran
I always allow extra time for seeds to mature, usually around 2+ weeks. I also harvest the seeded branches and let them dry before removing seeds.