What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Big Cannabis biz will continue to cage people meanwhile they monopolize the market?

GuyManDude

Alcohol has HUGE amounts of industry regulation. Big time producers and distributors DOMINATE the market, but despite that domination, there are new craft breweries opening up every week in socal. Completely organic small businesses with no support just pop out of thin air and compete with big business, and guess what, it works out just fine. Mom and pop beer brands come out all the time, some succeed, some fail, just like with any other business.

So why are people so afraid of a little competition when it comes to cannabis? Because they got used to a protectionist monopoly and they know in their hearts they don't have the will and the determination to stand on an even playing field against fair open market competition. They know there are other people out there who are smarter and harder working than them, and they know their route to easy cash is quickly disappearing.

yes, but new laws in front of legislatures in various states are handing the licenses over to big corporations. Here, if medical goes through, the ONLY people that will be allowed to grow are the University, a big local nursery and a yet unnamed corporation. States are not going to allow the small shops to exist. It's all going to whoever lines the politicians pockets the most

This huge cash cow will belong to big business and we will still go to jail for growing because they will not allow use to get licenses.

Kozmo

Veteran
That's right. Pigs. There all pigs, and there's only one thing to do with pigs. Fry em'. Everybody loves bacon(yes even you mr vegan).

shaggyballs

Veteran
yes, but new laws in front of legislatures in various states are handing the licenses over to big corporations. Here, if medical goes through, the ONLY people that will be allowed to grow are the University, a big local nursery and a yet unnamed corporation. States are not going to allow the small shops to exist. It's all going to whoever lines the politicians pockets the most

This huge cash cow will belong to big business and we will still go to jail for growing because they will not allow use to get licenses.

This is what I see happening all over.

Please take a good look at the facts, are people in WA. given a chance to compete fairly or even just keep what they once had?

Me:
Not afraid of competition, I am afraid of elimination!
That is the reality of the current situation, elimination not competition.
Fair competition is a great thing!
Low prices, no black market and more.
Some are not given such luxury.
The writing is on the wall bro, just take a moment out from the grind and have a read.

This this this this this this!!!!!!!!
Unfortuanly we all knew this was extremely probable. The soldiers that fought for legalization are being pushed out now that they have opened the door. Corporate interests only hindered the process and now that it has become "legitimized" they can't wait to cash in and lock the very people who made this possible out. It sickens me to think of what could happen if we are not aware of this situation and unwilling to fight. The scary part is it took us 60 fighting the government which luckily is a body that can be changed, however slow. The question is how likely is it to make change once it is dominated by billion dollar corporations which are bodies, as we all know, that have no incentive to change.

Auma is not a conspiracy trying to fuck over medical marijuana. If California voters approve AUMA, the pressure for federal marijuana law reform could finally become irresistible to politicians in Washington; if not, it will no doubt be interpreted as a major setback for marijuana reform at the national level. This bill will not effect medical growers.

This is taken straight from the bill. "The initiative does not alter the protections of the Compassionate Use Act of 1996 (Prop 215) allowing medical use of marijuana (11362.45(i)). Physician recommendations must conform to minimal standards already established under MMRSA and current medical marijuana legislation (11362.712)."

There are many California court precedents protecting you. Only your doctor can put a limit on your plant count. This has 3 California 3rd circuit court of appeals precedents.

Proceed with caution! I live in Oregon and when our legal cannabis bill was voted on and passed it had specific language in it stating the existing medical rules and numbers are not to be touched. Guess what, the state senate voted and changed medical laws anyway. Med growers were now only allowed to have 4 patients and you had to be grandfathered in. Once you loose a patient for whatever reason you are not allowed to get a new one to take their place. This way its just a matter of time before everyone is only allowed to grow for themselves. Co-ops that were growing for hundreds of people are gone. Like all states they want their cut and medical doesn't pay them like rec does. The rec industry is going along since if there are less med patients getting meds for free that means those patients have to go to their store to buy meds now. I have been a medical grower for 6 people for 9 years and even though i can't grow the same number of plants i still take care of all my patients but I know of many growers that can't afford to anymore. This really opened my eyes to just how little power the people have compared to our government. If the people can write up a bill, get signatures, put it on the ballet with spicific wording that states medical WILL NOT BE TOUCHED, passes by a large majority but then the state sentate can decide on their own via a vote of thier own to do exactly what the bill said they couldn't is something that can and will happen in any other state. Once a precedent has been set and the results benefited the ones who wanted the change you can bet it will happen everywhere. And this happened in Oregon which is about as liberal as you can get yet. Just imagine what would happen in other states. I can see them not allowing the people to grow anything and giving the licenses to tobacco growers /rant

Mukind

Proceed with caution! I live in Oregon and when our legal cannabis bill was voted on and passed it had specific language in it stating the existing medical rules and numbers are not to be touched. Guess what, the state senate voted and changed medical laws anyway. Med growers were now only allowed to have 4 patients and you had to be grandfathered in. Once you loose a patient for whatever reason you are not allowed to get a new one to take their place. This way its just a matter of time before everyone is only allowed to grow for themselves. Co-ops that were growing for hundreds of people are gone. Like all states they want their cut and medical doesn't pay them like rec does. The rec industry is going along since if there are less med patients getting meds for free that means those patients have to go to their store to buy meds now. I have been a medical grower for 6 people for 9 years and even though i can't grow the same number of plants i still take care of all my patients but I know of many growers that can't afford to anymore. This really opened my eyes to just how little power the people have compared to our government. If the people can write up a bill, get signatures, put it on the ballet with spicific wording that states medical WILL NOT BE TOUCHED, passes by a large majority but then the state sentate can decide on their own via a vote of thier own to do exactly what the bill said they couldn't is something that can and will happen in any other state. Once a precedent has been set and the results benefited the ones who wanted the change you can bet it will happen everywhere. And this happened in Oregon which is about as liberal as you can get yet. Just imagine what would happen in other states. I can see them not allowing the people to grow anything and giving the licenses to tobacco growers /rant

They don't make you take civics classes in Oregon?

Surprise we live in a Republic...

Who gives a shit about medical marijuana? People have been working in this industry all our lives. Legal or not

Just because your cash cow is drying up isn't a reason to cry about it. The reality is big corps are going to be better than you at this.

They're going to make a better product for a cheaper price because they're going to work at massive scale. Just like everything else.

They will have access to all the knowledge and resources you do. Just with exponential more capital to put in it.

Not that I have a problem with communists. But if you sell reefer you're not a communist, so shut the fuck up

Edit - Topset isn't saying anything different and while I quoted him beyond the civics class comment this applies to all of you whining. If they're not good at it, go do better than them. OFC none of you think you're going to do that. Again these corps are going to have all the resources you have and more, they will make better product not worse.

geneva_sativa

Yeah, same in WA.

+ rep and thanks for sharing

baduy

So Mukind do you think you get better tomatoes in a big supermarket than in a local organic farm?
That's not how it goes where I live and I'm happy I can buy my vegs from local small scale producers and my eggs from my neighboor who's got twelve laying hens, that's where the flavor is, not in the cardboard tasting fruits from people with massive ressources.
There is a market for both and both should be given the proper conditions to work

Wolfshadoe

Wow!!! A very good read here!!! A lot of dif views, and opinions ...
I learned a lot here reading this, whether I agree or disagree...I however DO not agree with the pig thing.

The one and ONLY thing I do know is::: Just imagine when THEY "GOV" were working on all the alcohol laws ect... Them fellows didn't have a PC to stay in touch with!! ''

I am def against big money:,No doubt MJ will be rec>>fed one day..as in anything it will be regulated,controled, ect....I have Always lived on the EDGE>>ppl like me will always make sure "others" who cant/or limited grow their meds/rec WTF E!! will make sure they get it at fare market value...

By that I mean:::Now NO ill intent here fellows,,that a Oz of mj is worth no more than 100 bucks...or a grand a pound for premo OD's mj. Indoors? Now that's a lil dif w/cost of producing it..Not sure how taxes would work in this..But that's just how I feel..

Never the less..Good read for a sunday morn..>>puffin Blue dream
Thanks guys/gals...<ws>

Mukind

So Mukind do you think you get better tomatoes in a big supermarket than in a local organic farm?
That's not how it goes where I live and I'm happy I can buy my vegs from local small scale producers and my eggs from my neighboor who's got twelve laying hens, that's where the flavor is, not in the cardboard tasting fruits from people with massive ressources.
There is a market for both and both should be given the proper conditions to work

Well I don't think we should be pushing small growers out. But as in all industries though those* who are good at it will eat up market share.

So if the market really wants high quality herb, the question is who can produce such herb the cheapest.

Now you may be able to compete to a certain point. But eventually buying nutes 100 tons at a time and having all sorts of data at your fingertips economy of scale is going to kick in.

You're going to be competing with guys who used to do what you do. But now have venture capitalists behind them funding the grows and reduce production costs.

The assumption that corporations can't produce a fine product is a little ridiculous.

The guys with money are always going to make the better product everything being equal but scale.

That's economics 101

baduy

I understand your economic point of view but there are some specifics to agriculture. Large scale farming can bring bring regularity to the amount harvested and the final product quality can be standardized, can be more responsive to a sudden and new predator or bacteria but it also goes with intensive farming practices and single crop farming which never leads to a better quality product. I'm not even speculating, regarding traditional crops organic family farms have on average 80% of the productivity of big agro companies and don't depend on their nutes suppliers, let alone the fact that a much bigger share of the money spent during the process goes to real humans.
I don't know the situation in your place but where I live organic farmers live much better lives than modern farmers who spend their days carrying toxic chemicals and have to focus on quantity rather than quality because buying-in organisations pay by the pound and they are squeezed by the loan they needed to buy a combine harvester anyway.

Mukind

I understand your economic point of view but there are some specifics to agriculture. Large scale farming can bring bring regularity to the amount harvested and the final product quality can be standardized, can be more responsive to a sudden and new predator or bacteria but it also goes with intensive farming practices and single crop farming which never leads to a better quality product. I'm not even speculating, regarding traditional crops organic family farms have on average 80% of the productivity of big agro companies and don't depend on their nutes suppliers, let alone the fact that a much bigger share of the money spent during the process goes to real humans.
I don't know the situation in your place but where I live organic farmers live much better lives than modern farmers who spend their days carrying toxic chemicals and have to focus on quantity rather than quality because buying-in organisations pay by the pound and they are squeezed by the loan they needed to buy a combine harvester anyway.

Ok so let's say economy of scale will only get you so far

I think the big difference here is what consumers want. Consumers want cheap tomatoes, so they pay for cheap tomatoes.

Now if most American consumers want what you and I would consider dirt weed then obviously yea the corps are going to grow dirt weed.

But if there is no market for that shit it's not going to get grown. That's the major distinction here.

Concentrates and edibles may be sketchy as fuck. But it's hard to hide poorly grown flower, they're not going to get away with bad product.

Mukind

economics 101 or markets myths lol

Again

Would you do better than a theoretical version of you who had millions of dollars to reduce costs?

If you believe that you're insane or stupid

People in this forum will be poached by big business who want to produce cannabis the people want.

That's reality, they're not some bumbling fuckwits. And even if they were some of us would be good enough to take over the market. There is no substantive industry that is dominated by mom and pop shops.

Gry

Not sure where you learned you economics or to deal with others. I will leave you your insults and your love of the marketplace and it's mythologies. Takes all kinds...

Mukind

Not sure where you learned you economics or to deal with others. I will leave you your insults and your love of the marketplace and it's mythologies. Takes all kinds...

A world of hurt is coming to boys like you who have gotten too fat with too little skill

What are you going to do when teh finest cannabis you can produce is on every street corner for 50 an ounce?

shaggyballs

Veteran
A world of hurt is coming to boys like you who have gotten too fat with too little skill

What are you going to do when teh finest cannabis you can produce is on every street corner for 50 an ounce?

dance :dance:

The government is not gonna like that though!
Loss of tax revenue gets them every time.
Moonshiners were not afraid of cops it was the revenuers...lol

Mukind

dance :dance:

The government is not gonna like that though!
Loss of tax revenue gets them every time.
Moonshiners were not afraid of cops it was the revenuers...lol

I think we will find legislators more receptive to low tax cannabis when there are lobbyists around to grease their pockets.

That will come with time

Hard to justify higher taxes on weed than alcohol when alcohol causes a lot more social ills. And it's easy to relent when you've got big cannabis filling your campaign warchest

Big business coming to our neck of the woods is going to be a great thing as long as consumers actually want good product. If we start smoking like we drink and eat we might be fucked tho

Latest posts

Latest posts