What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trying to find a true "skunk" smelling strain?

de145

I've tried a lot of strains from seeds that are supposed to be "skunk" but none of them have had that pungent skunky smell we used to get in the 80's, they are usually fruity or solvent smelling - NOT skunk smelling in the slightest.

I'm looking for a strain that smells like the actual skunk animal or the skunk "cabbage" that grows in swamps. Stuff so stinky that a single doobie can reek up your whole house.

I don't know how to find this because it seems the term skunk doesn't mean the same thing to everyone around the world so searches are useless, but for anyone that knows what I'm talking about, can you point me in the right direction for some seeds?

Also does anyone know the actual terpene or organic compound name that the skunky smell comes from?

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
You're not the only one. It seems as if that true dead in the road skunk smell no longer exists. The consensus is all skunk these days smells sweet, which is typically known as dutch skunk. In the UK I think the term "skunk" has no relation to the odor but is a slang term for good weed.

There is a large "roadkill skunk" thread here you could look thru, but no solid leads. I used to get strong skunk smell from mexi mids when I used to buy weed.

Skunk and pine are kinds of varieties I'd really like to get a hold of.

GOT DANK

Veteran
OGR Super Skunk and white strawberry. theres a pheno of white strawberry called Poptards. thats da most skunky strain i smelled in a while.

G

GoodyTwoShoes

While skunk is the name of an actual strain now, I think sam skunkman said that back in the sixties or early seventies most people were getting sativas from mexico and south america, and then when afghani's started making an appearance they would "skunk" the sativas; that is cross them with an afghani and that would give them a skunky smell.
This is where the term skunk came from, referring to sativa's that had been "skunked".
And then when sam got a particularly good one he named it skunk as a strain name, whereas before that it was a general term for sativa's that had been crossed with an afghani.

W

willyweed

superskunk does it for me real hashy 80's smell and taste .there is a bit of fruityness in it but only adds good flavour

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
guys you are ALL so funny, skunk is in everything you smoke.....it has been lost by crossing and crossing, and crossing and doing some more crossing, seriously WAKE UP

skunk is gone, unless a few 30-40 year old's have some stashed away bag seed, from the late 80's, early 90's...IT IS GONE

same will happen with all other strains...UNLESS YOU PRESERVE, instead of WATER DOWN

peace
Chefboy

G

GoodyTwoShoes

I don't think skunk ever really smelt like an actual skunk, that is a horrible smell, it just smelt muskier than the pure sativa's they were getting back then, which smelt sweet.

de145

I don't think skunk ever really smelt like an actual skunk, that is a horrible smell, it just smelt muskier than the pure sativa's they were getting back then, which smelt sweet.

Yes they did smell like an actual skunk. So strong that you had to take *very* special precautions to carry it into school or in your car. It was actually a very common smell for weed back in the day.

That's the origin of the word "skunk" being applied to marijuana in the first place; because the best stuff used to smell like the animal. I think some people who never smelled a skunk got a little confused and started calling anything really powerful skunk.

Even though I haven't smoked it since probably 1986 or 87 to this day if I catch a whiff of skunk cabbage or a skunk I instantly remember how stupendously baked that stuff used to get us.

It's a serious shame it's not around anymore, it was a very special high and nothing danker since.

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
Yes they did smell like an actual skunk. So strong that you had to take *very* special precautions to carry it into school or in your car. It was actually a very common smell for weed back in the day.

That's the origin of the word "skunk" being applied to marijuana in the first place; because the best stuff used to smell like the animal. I think some people who never smelled a skunk got a little confused and started calling anything really powerful skunk.

Even though I haven't smoked it since probably 1986 or 87 to this day if I catch a whiff of skunk cabbage or a skunk I instantly remember how stupendously baked that stuff used to get us.

It's a serious shame it's not around anymore, it was a very special high and nothing danker since.

:tiphat: :huggg: :thank you:

So true, I don't have to say anymore...what you said is 100% the truth

peace
Chefboy

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well first off I do not know why you want to smell a skunks ass but...

I had limited smoke during the 80's and everything back then was 'skunk' if they wanted to sell it.

I had exactly 1 hit of something called skunk and it was a mellow high with a piney or 'skunk' smell to it. More pine to me but...

I recently grew out a Seedsman Skunk #1 plant and the smoke reminds me of that which I sampled many years back. 86 I think it was.

The high is the same as back then but the smell is sweeter with a touch of earth or musk or something like that. The smell was bred to be sweeter by Sam according to the story. For me, the high is the same.

I am guessing the people that remember the skunk from way back being extremely potent are imagining somewhat. I find it potent but not more than many other strains available today. Or back then for that matter.

I may not have gotten the real deal and 1 toke is not a great test of anything but still. I also know that Colombian was not more potent than pretty much anything I have grown recently. Not weaker either for that matter.

O

otis33

I remember being on a road trip with my parents when I was a kid and smelling a skunk that had been hit by a car, I said "eewww, it smells like uncle sam's basement!" My parents couldn't stop laughing. I didn't get the joke until years later.

Rinse

Veteran
I remember even in early 2000's we were getting the skunk with the dry, piney smell, as time went on the smell got sweeter, then it started getting boggy, shit/chemical smell, not nice at all. The cheese Ive tried isnt like the piney skunk its more synthetic/plastic/boggy.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
The 2005 Nirvana White Rhino had a very strong 'skunk/roadkill' smell.

The new WR is completely different :frown:

Latest posts

Latest posts