What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strains high in Linalool?

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Big Buddy’s Lavender was a select plant from Somas Lavender. Big Buddy’s Lavender was one of the parents of Bodhi’s Wookie hybrid etc.

Unfortunately Big Buddy lost the original Lavender cutting, so I was told from someone who asked him (although maybe someone he passed it to might still have it, who knows). I think you’d still have to do quite a big plant grow of Somas Lavender to get a decent plant. I think his varieties have gone pretty sideways since most of the reproduction for seed is outsourced.

Nirrity

... I think you’d still have to do quite a big plant grow of Somas Lavender to get a decent plant. I think his varieties have gone pretty sideways since most of the reproduction for seed is outsourced...

yep that too big time. and that is if we are to believe that lavender in the name does correlate with linalool in the terpenes profile. which to me is like expecting to have an mdma-like effect from a strain named "extasy")

i d say it is better to acquire do-si-dos cutting, self it and grow a bunch of S1 seeds with subsequent terpenes testing. that way my guess is possible to find linalool dominant plant, but that's lot if money and effort.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
yep that too big time. and that is if we are to believe that lavender in the name does correlate with linalool in the terpenes profile. which to me is like expecting to have an mdma-like effect from a strain named "extasy")

i d say it is better to acquire do-si-dos cutting, self it and grow a bunch of S1 seeds with subsequent terpenes testing. that way my guess is possible to find linalool dominant plant, but that's lot if money and effort.

Strains named LSD and DMT frustrate me. More like a total lie than creative name.

Anyone comes up with a strain worthy of these names please let me know.

zif

Veteran
If you’re after the entourage effect of linalool, it’s also worth hunting for nerolidol (its sesquiterpene analog). See, for example, this article at frontiersin.org.

From the author: “In our kush strains trans-nerolidol is usually the most abundant terpene, ranging 3-10+ mg/g. These are all just correlations so we can't be sure if it is just a marker, but it does corroborate pre-clinical research on nerolidol.”

And a wrinkle that we all need labs to get sorted out: “Production environment seems to be important for its expression. We used no-till soil beds for 2-3 years before switching the soil. The most recent round of a kush strain in new soil has Caryophyllene as dominant and trans-nerolidol 2nd, opposite of batches in the previous soil.”

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
that is simply not true. like i said i've looked through hundreds of sclabs tests, a few thousands in total maybe, and i am sure there is no substantial linalool content in blueberry, blue dream, gdp, purple kush, purple urkle or lavender kush. i've seen just 1 terpenes tested profile for lavender kush and it is limonene dominant. i haven't seen soma's lavender tested for terpenes, so this one may be different. peace

I'm not making any hard and fast statements... All I'm saying is that the actual lavender plant has substantial amounts of linalool, and so do red grapes, so if looking for that terp in cannabis plants, it's probably not such a bad idea to focus on varieties that are known for having lavender and/or grape smells. Don't read too much into that.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran

I believe that the original releases of Soma’s Lavender had individuals that expressed Lavender phenos. There have been other reports of this terp appearing in that line which aren’t anecdotal. Whether or not you can still find it in Soma’s line I wouldn’t know.

I’ve also heard linalool expressions pop up in lines which you wouldn’t really expect it to; Jack Herrer to name an example.

What zif is referring to, that environment is a factor in play, probably has a lot to do with which terps predominate within individual plant make up given varying environmental factors.

In 2002 I grew a bunch of Passion #1 (formally Amstel Gold) from Dutch Passion. This is quite an old Dutch outdoor seedline. One of the plants absolutely stunk of lavender. I can remember being amazed as the smell was pretty spot on.. Unfortunately after drying, the aroma completely vanished from the finished product. It was only that one plant, the others didn’t exhibit even a hint of linalool.

Nirrity

hush, all i am saying is that names are misleading, and so do odors. purple urkle quite often describes as having grapes yet it is full on myrcene variety with pinene as second most prominent terpene and no linalool.

many strains with "lemon" or "orange" in their names are terpinolene dominant with little to no limonene.

so, if something called "lavender" and even smells like lavender doesn't actually mean it has linalool as major terpenes. it can, but it can not as well.

zif, it seems you give different link. i can't find the quoted you posted in the article?

Nirrity

they are interesting indeed. but now i m curious what soil did they use which affected nerolidol and in what way? did the first soil make it dominant while the second boosted caryophyllene?

"...Yet, if you’re a purist and want a true linalool-dominant strain, we recommend checking out the Chocolate Mint OG from Truly Oreganics—a cultivar that from time to time expresses a linalool primary and always excels as a deeply satisfying and drowsy bedtime bowl..."

from

https://www.leafly.com/news/strains-products/oregon-craft-cannabis-strain-terpenes

Last edited:

zif

Veteran
Sounds like Truly Oreganics are running into an unspecified environmental factor in linalool production, too!

zif

Veteran
Unfortunately not. I’m not sure they know what factors(s) are important.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I read recently that certain soil bacteria and fungus are precursors to certain terpenes.

So my thought is that if you find some strains that are potential linolool producers, or any terpene you seek. Go outside in nature. Start burying socks filled with organic white rice anywhere you suspect might have unique bacteria or fungus. Possibly near other plants that produce the same desired terpenes. Then in a few weeks dig up the sock and the rice should be covered in white fuzz (mycorrhizae). Use this to inoculate the plants you wish to test. Might take a few plants and a few months. But all and all nothing to complicated.

I have wanted to do a similar thing with a list of biodynamic accumulaters in an effort to better customize the bokashi compost my worms end up eating. The next time I start worm farming.

Kicks self and remembers how damn tasty my herb was.

Nirrity

ok i see. imho it is because of microorganisms as Skunkman noted, no till probably means higher microorganisms diversity as each species occupied their own niche since left undisturbed. ploughman's folly style.

Drewsif

hush, all i am saying is that names are misleading, and so do odors. purple urkle quite often describes as having grapes yet it is full on myrcene variety with pinene as second most prominent terpene and no linalool.

many strains with "lemon" or "orange" in their names are terpinolene dominant with little to no limonene.

so, if something called "lavender" and even smells like lavender doesn't actually mean it has linalool as major terpenes. it can, but it can not as well.

zif, it seems you give different link. i can't find the quoted you posted in the article?

The Cannabis grow community was set down this terpene trail by terpenes shills,ie future corporate producers. I want a bud that actually tastes like edible lavender candy and feels like "Lavender" (been years) not just smells like a lavender pillow spray, and tastes like a lavender pillow spray. You ain't gonna get the former with an isolated terpene.

One common reason all Westcoast sellout soccer mom placebo scene weed sucks: It lacks enzymes to convert fatty acids into less oxidatively stable fatty acids that produce the funk as they break down (under heat microbes and enzymes, not bovida packs freeze driers and imagination) .

Remember when a joint would cloud the room in thick smoke? Remember when weed was sticky? Remember when weed smelled like weed and no one with an armpit was confused about curing? Remember when a pinner got the whole cell block giggling and lowered the pod ceiling a good 12 feet? Remember when weed made you go swimming and fishing and write music still being played today? That weed isn't mythical, it was cultivated by farmers, not lab drones. It had numerous genes for enzyme production converting linoleic acid to linolenic acid. Linoleic acid is inflammatory. West coast weed is horror on my joints. Linolenic acid is anti-iflammatory. Linolenic acid produces butanethiol (THE skunk) when oxidized. (linolenic acid is also partially hydrogenated in the presence of hydrogen and nickel, but don't ask any extract artist why there's no Skunk sauce on the market. He'll tell you skunk is a myth if he's in LA, or that the skunk terpene is too heavy to be extracted if he's up north.

Scrapping everything done by profiteers is the only solution to improving American commercial Cannabis. Half the enzymes bred out of west coast Cannabis also digest acids produces by crop ruining fungals. The whole scene was literally set up for failure the moment domestic producers controlled all the trends, "Skunk and healing cancer are so 1980s,we're on the Platinum Placebo Cookies now, the Fredo pheno".

Nirrity

Drewsif, i am sorry, i can not squeeze any meaning out of your post. as far as i know linoleic acid or linolenic acid have nothing to do with linalool

Hookahhead

I was researching different things about papayas this evening. I came across this, and thought it would be interesting to share here.

The volatile flavors of papayas were reported to consist of 124 compounds. Linalool is the major component with characteristic fresh papaya aroma and flavor. Benzyl isothiocyanate, another major component, has a pungent off-aroma. Other off-aroma, off-flavor compounds in papaya pulp have been identified as butyric, hexanoic, and octanoic acids and their corresponding methyl esters. These components were analyzed with gas chromatography and mass spectrometry.
Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/papayas

ramse

Nordle cbd - CBD CREW

CBD-Nordle-gimp-logo.jpg