What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using my outdoor buds for hash....Super low yields

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
If it's all evaporating and leaving no ash or anything, that implies it's as pure thc as you can get it, with no impurities. If you are gonna start with outdoor bud you are gonna get impurities in the end product regardless of how much you sift it, right? Heck even indoor grown bud will have some dust and fibers on them, no airfilter is 100% perfect. I must have never gotten good hash cause I've never seen anything that looks like those pictures :)

Mattbho

No bubble expert here but I don't think full melt is generally sold its the cream of the crop that is kept close .

Op is it possible that the heads are too large and getting caught up in the 160 bag? If they go into the bucket/bag they have to come out somewhere .

My outdoor concentrates never yield close to my indoor . Same strain grown indoor blasted via butane gives me 25% outdoor grown 18% . The indoor bho is more thc-a than the outdoor. But the outdoor is has more terpenes , so much more that I usually have to take some off before making shatter or else its just a sticky mess that sugars up quickly .

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I know some folks have managed to end up with some pretty good quality dry sift/dry ice hash, but it seems so tedious having to push/sieve the hash through a screen by hand.

Many people feel that only dry sift gives you the full potential of taste and terpenes. Sieving buds gently by hand over a screen. For bigger production, a tumbler is a good buy. Dry ice is a way to ‘game the system’ because it is so easy and quick and it doesn’t dilute anything, but shake a little too much . . .

Here is an early dry ice attempt. Berry Bomb strain 73u. Rather than nice goo in between the stalks there is fur.

picture.php

Next time around I just plan on freezing the herb before washing it, breaking the herb into even smaller pieces than I have been (to increase surface area), and being extremely aggressive/turbulent with the washing.

I agree with you here except for the violence. I now hand stir for 20 minutes. For several batches, I tried a couple of different paint stirrers on a drill at low speed. This gave a great return but just like dry ice, I had lots of contaminants. The result was harsh chalky hash. The high is wonderful but you cough for 5 minutes afterward. And it certainly didn’t melt. When I switched back to hand stirring, the quality went way up but the return went way down. Of course, this is also strain dependent. I still have not worked out the best bags and timing yet but I am getting there.

Here is a hand stirred Maui Waui. This is great near-full melt with a wonderful taste. 25u filtered only at 220 and 180. I ran the material twice. I just sampled a little from the remnant I have left . . . ummm . . .

picture.php

For reference, here is a decent upper-mid grade Moroccan (beaten dry sift probably).

picture.php

Oh btw, I only run cured bud and trim usually @ 3 - 6 months.

Last edited:
If it's all evaporating and leaving no ash or anything, that implies it's as pure thc as you can get it, with no impurities. If you are gonna start with outdoor bud you are gonna get impurities in the end product regardless of how much you sift it, right? Heck even indoor grown bud will have some dust and fibers on them, no airfilter is 100% perfect. I must have never gotten good hash cause I've never seen anything that looks like those pictures :)

That sort of hash is not pure THC, it is nothing but trichome heads with zero plant matter present. There is still a little bit of fats/waxes present in the hash (the outer shell of the trichomes is mostly a waxy material) and there is a lot of terpenes and other cannabinoids within trichomes/hash. But hash of that quality is composed of literally just the heads of trichomes.

If one sieves their hash well & proper through bags/screens there won't be any impurities in the final material regardless if it came from indoor or outdoor. Unless the "dust & fibers" or other contaminants/impurities are as small or smaller than the head of a trichome they won't end up in the final material/hash.

If you've never seen or smoked anything like what's in those pics I posted, then yea you've never had real proper high quality hash before (and I'm not saying that with a negative tone or like I'm sitting up on a "high horse" lol, just saying that hash can turn with out very high quality lol).

Super good quality hash will basically "melt" into itself at room temperature and form a "grease" or oil like consistency. The hash turns oily and greasy when ever it is warm, best stored in the fridge or freezer.

bp90unice.jpg

tumblr_pwcdxb2JPA1u5d4z3o1_1280.jpg

Here's a video of what full melt hash looks like when smoked on a bowl of herb, it bubbles/boils releasing a bunch of delicious potent vapor and melts down into an oil...

https://youtu.be/VzurHo1Fg24

I intend on replying to all the other posts in this thread, I'm just busy at the moment and need to wrap up this reply/post.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
I'm a big believer in Dry Kiefing. It's made me stop using the ice bath method. Put your 220 bag into a bucket. Fill part way with trim or buds. Shake for hours by hand or days on an agitator. The key is for your material to be dry, as dry as possible. You can freeze it before but it is not essential. Best results are achieved on a bitterly cold, bone dry Winter night. I was astounded by the return during one of the Polar Vortex cold air surges two years ago. Kief can then be soaked and run through your other bags for bubble hash, dissolved into alcohol or solvent to make concentrates, or just mixed with oil for edibles or whatever. Literally the easiest method there is, great yields, and only a bag and bucket needed.

Good Luck, and Happy Hashmaking!!

redlaser

Veteran
I separate dry ice sift runs by time for different qualities. Usually a 1st 2-3 minute period, a second 2-3 min, and a third 2-3 minute. From the same pile. Sometimes by the minute. Lots of times the second 2-3 min is 90-95% as good as the first 2-3 min, and the third is in the 75% range of what the first pull is.
It’s not hard to do with different sheets of parchment. 20-25% ice to weed ratio, lasagna style for fifteen minutes to chill. 120u screen is what is mostly used, others are fine, but I wouldn’t go bigger.
On live frozen material it comes out the color of fresh pollen, a luminous yellow.
I had seen it recommended to crush the material for better yield, and it seemed like that would add impurities, but after trying it, it hasn’t been the case. Fresh material is still bright yellow. ( it does lose that brightness some with drying, maybe a freeze dryer would prevent that). It definitely improves yield.