What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

URUK

Greetings Tom,

with regards to the book rec, is the book you refer to the one by Clarke & McPartland ? or if dif can you provide a link to it.....

Thanks in advance.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Hey Tom,

Got two quick questions regarding your irrigation.

Approximately how many gallons of water are used per plant per irrigation?

What is the irrigation frequency at initial transplant, as well as what is the irrigation frequency during peak growth/heat?

Thanks,
Mr^^

H

humboldtlocal

Hey Tom, when re-amending your used soil is there anything you add to your mix that was not mentioned at the beginning of this thread? Do you still add some black gold or just the amendments? Hope your winter is going well and the storms aren't making too much trouble for you.

P

planty

Hey Tom thanks for sharing this info with us. PVFS has 2 different types of composted chicken manure by Stutzman Farms..one is Nutri Rich 4-3-3 with 7% calcium and the other is 3-2-2 composted chicken manure. I'm curious which one you recommend using?

The water from my well is 7pH and 75ppm(filtered by an ozone generator) so would I be better off using 7.5 lbs of gypsum and 7.5 lbs of dolomite lime?

Thanks

Tom Hill

Veteran
Growing large plants.... outdoors.. thread

Growing large plants.... outdoors.. thread

This is a kind of special nitch, one I am particularly familiar with. I will be growing big ones this year, many of you folks will as well. There are many things to consider. Let's explore these many things together in this thread.

I'd like to start by asking what genetics you folks feel are particularly suitable to large plants outdoors?

Let's just dig right in and crush this horribly uneducated belief that "indicas" are what we want for yield and ask ourselves.. Well, what are some attributes we might want in a plant in this situation? Let's talk about big plants outside, let's build them in our minds, let's dissect it all together. Anything goes here, all thoughts will be well considered and appreciated. -T

FarmerBoy

Hello TH

Its been shown to me one of your grows and it looks very pro.
Respect !

Well, now Im curious which watering/feeding system you use ?
Is that "drop by drop" and which nutrients (ratio) you use for flow ?

My yield is about 30% of what you have (per plant), but we do not grow on same way and I cant care for plant like you do.
Your grows definitely fits meaning of "Cultivation" so result is obvious.

mid of July
picture.php

cheers
EDIT : as for indica an yield, well ... Indica have just more compact buds what brings more heavily buds
by me, same bud size from Indica and Sativa its not same in weight.
it doesn't means Indica plant must yield more than Sativa plant , or switched ... in that game is so many things of what depends yielding.

B

BeAn

well, first of all great idea for a thread Tom...:yes:

high on the list is sunlight, which my garden outdoors has none due to the trees n position of the house...haha, so i will look in envy an take in the info just incase sombody hands me a load of money to mive to spain...lol.:)

:lurk:

This is a kind of special nitch, one I am particularly familiar with. I will be growing big ones this year, many of you folks will as well. There are many things to consider. Let's explore these many things together in this thread.

I'd like to start by asking what genetics you folks feel are particularly suitable to large plants outdoors?

Let's just dig right in and crush this horribly uneducated belief that "indicas" are what we want for yield and ask ourselves.. Well, what are some attributes we might want in a plant in this situation? Let's talk about big plants outside, let's build them in our minds, let's dissect it all together. Anything goes here, all thoughts will be well considered and appreciated. -T

I would think branchy genetics would be best to grow massive plants outdoors. I've seen skunks and skunk hybrids do impressively well outdoors due to their branchy nature. Once they're topped, they just bush out like crazy! It would have to be a quick finishing sat/ sat dominant strain though, for my area at least.

Abe

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ran a few different plants last year, id say get a good head start with the plants, have um vegged up good size before placin outside, and insure if your growin clones to have um under the right light timing so they dont start to flower when ya put um out.
as for genetics, i havent grown alot outside, always seem to grow what ive made. heres some shots of the best yielder from last year, right at 5ft tall, and about a 8 ft around.

Strawberry Dog (chemD X SCrmBC1)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

ROOTWISE

Veteran
Oh boy, here we go....just some quick initial thoughts to spur conversation....

Factors of consideration: Genetics, Soil, Light, Support, and Preparation

Genetics- I have best luck with hybrids that lean a little more to the sativa end in growth/branch structure but retain the density, length, and circumference of an Indica's giant colas. Much to discuss here and many "dream" crosses to explore. The C99 family and Hazes come immediately to mind. Also picturing massive sativa shaped monsters with Deep Chunk colas....

As for potency- Either Indica or Sativa can produce staggering highs, everybody likes something a little different. As long as you preserve or balance world class potency, you'll get no complaints from me....

Also- something I feel gets overlooked is a plant's "root vigor". I carefully evaluate each plant while re-potting to make sure I see EXPLOSIVE root growth. Bright white, vast, and with heavily developed hyphae systems. I have noticed this is a trait that breeds true from variety to variety and I'm not sure everybody pays attention to this but it is crucial to growing large plants that harvest in the 3-10 pound range.

For 2010 I'm most excited to run a number of ChemD crosses, each to either Strawberry Cough (CBF) or C99, also a potential Chemd/GDP mystery strain.....

I know this thread has a focus on genetics but I thought I'd bring up some other factors to consider below in general terms. I think it's important due to the fact that the genetics must be able to deal with being PUSHED to their limits in every way. Not every variety out there can make a monster....

Soil- Too vast for a quick paragraph but DEEP and WIDE with the appropriate mix that complements your native soil. I alternate my moisture management with deep watering and shallow watering depending on temp and each plants needs. I typically incorporate a large compost tea prep in all my shallow watering cycles. Raised, "breathable" planters on top of an already prepared bed of soil is my preferred method. You must incorporate a system that allows large amounts of oxygen in your root zone....

Light- Each plant must receive the maximum amount of direct light available in a 24 hour day. Plant spacing must allow lateral light penetration to achieve that "Globe" shape as seen in Tom's giant ladies and your garden location should be lit from sun-up to sun-down with no shade....

Support- frames, cages, netting, string, pick one and use it, you'll need it....I build wooden frames for the main internal branch structure and then use plastic trellis just before final stretch...I also have had some luck using giant versions of tomato cages...

Prep- Seed or Clone? When to start? Indoor light schedules? Size before putting out? When to put out? A lot depends on your global location...I start from seed on Feb 15, after 1 month I sex and put back on 18-6 to get them vegging again, two weeks before going out I reduce light to a 16-8 schedule and plants are in the ground May 15th to May 20th and stand about 24-30 inches tall with good branch structure already forming. I cull, cull, cull and cull to select only the most vigorous starts...

Hope this gives you something to ponder....

Tom- you getting my PM's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts