What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grafting female strains to a male

WelderDan

Veteran
It's possible to graft cannabis. Why you'd want to do this is beyond me, but it is technically possible

With roses they will take the root stock of varieties grown from seed because they have stronger roots and graft them to the desired clone with a nice flower. The clone would not get as strong of a root stock as the seed does. I have also heard about tests where high input high output varieties or plants had land races grafted on to them and they found the land race now needed more nutrients like the f1 does. They then took the land race roots stock and grafted an f1 onto it and found it now needed less nutrients over all but was more seceptible to nutrient burn when fertilized. One of the things they concluded was that nutrient uptake is based on the roots and not on the plants as a whole.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I wouldn't take a male as root stock because males often glower earlier, have more stretch, and last but not least die earlier than females. The root stock should always be the one which lives longest especially if you're after seeds which finish easily after 'bud harvest time' and also after males passing away.

Lacocina

First thank you guys for your input

I have some killer strains that are doing well here in the desert that I was wanting to play with, everything is organic outdoors. The legal plant limit doesn't allow for so many strains at flower but do for veg. Grafting may be a alternative to attaché to a strong rooted stock like we used to do with fruit trees in Cali. Grafting flowers onto a good male and moving the plant to another location to see what would happen...I guess it would be easier to just pollinate lower branches ?

Running...Zamaldelica, Panama, Bay Dream, Candyland, Phantom Cookies, Blue Cheese, Golden Tiger, Lemon Sour Diesal, Bay11, Purple Dream, Double Thai...Had Purple Haze/Mallawi but cutter bees thought it was the bomb and destroyed them.

Strongest strains in this heat for this year are Golden Tiger, Zamaldelica, Bay Dream, and Candyland

Bulldog420

Veteran
Male to Female grafting makes no sense to me. Now grafting three elite clones to a mother would be worth it's weight in gold. GSC, GorillaGlue and Romulan mother.

OMG I'm so tired of hearing about GSC and Gorilla Glue on these forums. If some one mentions GSC one more time I'm going to gag. Get of GSC's nuts every one. It's good but it's not that good, it's just trendy. I fucking hate trendy shit.

JointOperation

its been being done for a while.. females being grafted onto a healthy male stock.. also look at urban grower video. grafting.. he goes to a dudes grow room.. and hes got a mom .. with 10 diff strains..

its really not as tough as people think. its a tiny more difficult that Cloning...

ive done it with success.. never wanted to use a male stock.. but I took 4 strains and put them on a female stock.. so my mom had 5 strains on it.. but after seeing how long it took to take.. and how much time I spent doing it . I realized just keeping small clones as moms is easier work... and they grow a lot faster and produce more cuts in a faster amount of time..

Lacocina

Mad scientist syndrome... Lol.. just curoious .. Seems males always grow faster with bigger stems.

If it works out I will post some pictures .. Kind of like putting a woman's head on Frankenstein !

Smoggy

Female on male

Female on male

This pic is a female grafted onto a would be boy throwaway from 8 years ago.
Left on the other male branches to feed/support plant and bagged the graft until it took.
When flowered, pinched off all male growing points leaving infrastructure - Flowered fine, just like usual:
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts