What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High Grade Vintage Cannabis photography

four seasons

Veteran
The transformation of the Cannabis market on the international front has evolved from many small farmers who took pride in their product to a larger more controlled market dominated by larger commercial style grows using commercial stock dominated by quantity not quality. At the same time during the late seventies and early eighties many new domestic operations sprang up across the country that would eventualy rival the quality of the best imports.
As of lately These two markets have changed even more and have gone further underground or indoors I should say.
The Trans High Markets give a good picture of this evolution.

indifferent

Veteran
Wow, the shit we smoke nowadays looks 1000000 times better than the 70s.

Indoor grows for life!

Looks are deceiving, I would take these classic wacky weeds, puna budders, kona golds, oaxacans, thais, jamaicans over anything modern and indoor, you just cannot get the same quality of high indoors. Big, chunky, sticky ihybrid buds may look nice but they just cannot compete in quality of high to the classics of yesteryear grown in sweet spots like Hawaii, the hills of Oaxaca or the highlands of colombia.

Then you have the hash, back in the 70s the quality of hash was great, those Nepali balls would be better than 99% of modern bubble in terms of the high.

Bumble Buddy

Thanks for posting those four seasons, makes me wistful and drooly.

four seasons said:
This is the first published picture of the True Haze from the Haze brothers 1977

Awesome! Where is that from and was there any other info provided?

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:yoinks: awesome!!
Thx for posting those :yes: much aprecciated!! K+++

four seasons

Veteran
Thanks Raco and everyone

Through these market reports from around 78 through 89 you can see the fall of the "top shelf" exotic import market and the rise of the domestic market side by side.
In 1992 after Operation Green Merchant, The American Cannabis market slowly evolved into a more controlled three grade market tier.
With the change of the markets came changes in the venacular and the way the culture is identified.
The old terms like Sensi,Chiba, Columbo, Reds,Gold ,Stick,etc... coined in the sixties and seventies by a loose generation gave way to terms coined by the next generation.

1 "REGS" or "regular" bottom barrel mass produced Mexican or Columbian,produced for a mass market. Usually of decent sativa stock which is usually poorly grown and handled. This mass produced smoke is usualy not properly dried or cured.This is then followed by compression for shiping and then stored for who knows how long under what kind of conditions. (not the Medicine I want)

2 "MIDS" or Middle grade. Usually poorly selected Indica dominate Indica Sativa hybrids that are probably most likely grown in greenhouses. These bland nugs are usually dried, shipped and stored with better care. This Greenhouse Industry is huge in Mexico right now trying to compete with the Canadian so called BC bud market . The Mexican Cartels are Pumping out tons of these Greenhouse mids filling the American demand for bland buds that might look and maybe, but not always, smoke a little better then Regs.

3"KIND" Killer, Chronic, etc.... Thousands of names and strains for this one. Basicaly high grade domestic This market is growing but may never dominate because it is cost prohibitive. If the prices stay at 250 - 500 $ per ounce then it will never dominate the market.
We will always have poor regs and bland mids as the dominate force in the market if Prohibition stays afloat.

Peace

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
Thank you for starting this thread, four seasons! Ah, the memories.
Haha, yeah, looks don't mean that much...
Saw and smoked a lot more hash in the Seventies than any time since... slabs like fudge from Detroit...

subscribed
love the stuff
i had some high times from the sixties but i think someone stole em...
:( the story of my life
i hope that changes somehow

theyve even got a couple of pics of the ever so popular "kush"
show a kid that and tell him its kush

four seasons

Veteran
This happened in the seventies...

Many of the Farmers in the golden Triangle (Burma,Thailand,Laos) replaced their crops with the poppy.

Also, growers in the highlands in and around the middle east also switched their crops to the Poppy. Many of these Govts. even outlawed the cultivation of cannabis while encouraging the locals to grow the Poppy.

In South America the cannabis culture was also declining while many farmers found incentives to switch to the Cocoa as the plant of economic choice.

four seasons

Veteran
Your right, I deleted most of that.
Ill try and get a few more vintage picts up sometime.
If anybody has any thay can share it would be appreciated.
I would love to see early Pharmacopia cannabis pictures from 1900-1940s
They exist...

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
Let's start at the beginning.

About 2700 BC we find the first written reference to the use of cannabis in the work of Shen Nung, the father of Chinese medicine.
In Praise of Cannabis
RUTH TOLEDANO

picture.php

This happened in the seventies...

The Farmers in the golden Triangle (Burma,Thailand,Laos) replaced their crops with the poppy.

Farmers in the highlands in and around the middle east also switched their crops as the same time as the S.E. Asian farmers to the Poppy. Many of these local Govts. even outlawed the cultivation of cannabis while encouraging the locals to grow the Poppy.

In South America the cannabis culture was also declining while many farmers found incentives to switch to the Cocoa as the plant of economic choice.

true that, and because of who? the us government or some invisible entity controlling them

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
wow ...after 40 years mexico still grows swagy seeded looking crap!!!!!!
fucking amazing!!!! strive for the worst right guys?!?!!! ahahhaa
thanks for the pics for sure..."wonderweed of mexico" ahahahahahahaha
i about peed myself i laughed so hard @ the swag. seeds and allll, ahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhah
sorry i wish i could be more positive, but thanks for the pics, cramps from laughing.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Looks are deceiving, I would take these classic wacky weeds, puna budders, kona golds, oaxacans, thais, jamaicans over anything modern and indoor, you just cannot get the same quality of high indoors. Big, chunky, sticky ihybrid buds may look nice but they just cannot compete in quality of high to the classics of yesteryear grown in sweet spots like Hawaii, the hills of Oaxaca or the highlands of colombia.

Then you have the hash, back in the 70s the quality of hash was great, those Nepali balls would be better than 99% of modern bubble in terms of the high.

quality of high???:yeahthats
did you hit the crack pip pre-post or FUCKING WHAT?!:noway:
indoor grows can pump out stuff that makes you comatose, most people pull there shit way too early. "its good enough"...
not saying that crappy looking 70's didnt get you fadded.

Weedninja

quality of high???:yeahthats
did you hit the crack pip pre-post or FUCKING WHAT?!:noway:
indoor grows can pump out stuff that makes you comatose, most people pull there shit way too early. "its good enough"...
not saying that crappy looking 70's didnt get you fadded.

If you think that comatose is the ideal Cannabis high, then its very easy to see how you could miss the point of his post.

jwm

Veteran
Can you say....Qualudes! We had SOOOO much fun on those buggers in the 70's and 80's
Are they still around? What a party drug...Mix in a little liquor and some coli.....man you were set....for anything!!!