What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Our Orchids

K

kallenavndk

womderfull i love em too got 10 diffrents i will post em when the in flower here is a old black and white

Okider.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Those are some beautiful flowers. Highclasscandy, that Lycaste is wonderful. A very similar orchid to that (a L. cruenta x L. aromatica hybrid) was the first orchid that really caught my eye (and my nose!) and got me into learning more about orchids. That and Encyclia citrina too.

Since then I've read a couple orchid books and am thinking about trying to grow some from seed (as a fun challenge, I know it's hard and takes a very long time). I'm more interested in species orchids than hybrids.

That fragrance of the Lycaste sure is amazing. Kind of like cinnamon with a slight touch of spice and cotton candy maybe. It mostly reminded me a lot of a Macrobiotic tea called 'Mu tea'.

Ingredients of the blend:
# moutan
# Japanese parsley root
# cnicus
# mandarin orange peel
# licorice
# atractylis
# cypress
# cinnamon
# hoelen
# peach kernel
# ginger root
# rehmannia
# cloves
# herbaceous peony root
# ginseng
# coptis japonica

Thanks for your post.

Anyone ever grown orchids from seed on agar and in a flask and all of that?

Greetings,
TV

K

kenned

Do you make your own seeds, highclasscandy?
And sprout the seeds yourself also??

Hi HCC. That is very interesting about the lily of the valley smell of the L. aromatica. I could see how a variation of that could be what came across to me kind of like cotton candy. I guess in the hybrid it really got both the cinnamon and spice and lily of the valley all in one.

About obtaining seeds... I'd be looking for species seeds to purchase over the internet. I am just starting to look into everything about growing orchids from seed, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to find/make an agar medium that is totally organic and chemical free. Organic cultivation is near and dear to me, wouldn't do it any other way. I'm also looking at putting together a sterile workspace.

Thanks for those species recommendations, I'll look into them for sure.

K

kenned

highclasscandy---
How big are your succes rate, when doing your own seeds??
Does it always succeed??

K

kenned

cool candy...
What strains do you have? (it's not called strains, is it?)

K

kenned

currently I have:
Cattleya aurantiaca
Coelogyne fimbriata
Cirrhophyllum Hans' Delight
Rossioglossum grande
Zygopetalum Louisendorf
+ 2 phal. from supermarket..

So not that many, but I think I'm make a shelf where I have space for some more.. :D
lately I have become kinda obsessed with the hole orchid thing... hehe..

How many plants do you have, candy??

K

kenned

Hehe, couple hundreds... thats quite a few.. ;)
How many of them is from seeds you made yourself??

Yeah, the hans' delight has a beautiful flower, and I almost had it flowering, but suddenly the whole branch just died away.. Too bad...

And nice flower you got there!!

When you have them in the basement, do you have artificial light? I live in Denmark, so I think I cant really live without it, when its winter...

K

kenned

thanks, candy.. :D

Have been wondering, what kind of light do you use for your orchids??

Cheers,
kenned