What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Our Orchids

P

punkrocktoker

homemade ebb and flow system check it out, what do you think???

flowers012.jpg
[/IMG]
store bought planter, with ebb and flow fittings. it bowed a little when filled so we zip tie it.

flowers021.jpg
[/IMG]
a nice shelf

flowers020.jpg
[/IMG]
resivoir with pump and timer

flowers022.jpg
[/IMG]
finished product

flowers023.jpg
[/IMG]

flowers007.jpg

enjoy tell us what you think.

Last edited:
J

JackKerouac

Looks really good. What nutrient line are you running? Have you heard anything about "orchid focus" nutes?

K

kallenavndk

yes orcid focus nute is a must i have a lots of orkids one have 24 flower heads and 6-7 stems ill show you tommorow :)

Do they live fine ind leca balls? Anyways super nice system hehe

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I always wondered about growing orchids, never knew where to start though. What kind of light do they need, and what's your watering schedule?

R

Relik

Got to love those Phalaenopsis, I have a Doritaenopsis (Doritis x Phalaenopsis) that is about to flower, I just can't wait!

How often is the planter flooded? I've been thinking about growing my orchids in one big container, just like you, but because of different orchids and thus different needs regarding light, water and nutes, I haven't done it yet.

Plants looking great, keep it green! :joint:

bounty29, depending on which orchid you have, light requirements range between low/medium to medium/high, however this also depends on your climate (temps, humidity). I live in the tropics and grow them outside, not in direct sunlight but in a very bright place for those who require it, and I put the ones that need less light behind the first ones so they are somewhat shaded. I suggest you join or check out an orchid growing forum if you're interested in them but hesitate, most will provide you all the info you need to start growing them, and which ones are best suited for your conditions. Watch out, quite addictive! :D

W

weedpureweed

I have a phalaenopsis and one other type, they are pretty easy to look after much less work than weed plants although I don't and wouldn't fancy growing them in a hydro system that needs constant maintenance. I just dip the pots in the feed no ph'ing or anything.

P

punkrocktoker

yea, i posted this on orchidboard and they pretty much focus just on passive hydroponics,i got like 1 comment in two weeks.i figured if i posted here there would be some hydo lovers on this forum.
there are no lights yet,they get about 5-6 hours of strong sunlight throuh the window.maybe in the winter time i might get a 24" t5 system or someting small.
i believe the planter is flooded every 4hours for 10min.
currently were using botanicare pro gro,pro bloom,and liquid karma
Ph is 5.8-6.2

im definatly going to check out some orchid specific nutes in the near future.

thanx for all the comments
keep em comming.i am a beginer at this so if some of you have any helpful info i would luv to hear about it.

thanx again and stay HIGH!!!!
punkrocktoker :joint:

P

punkrocktoker

weedpureweed said:
I have a phalaenopsis and one other type, they are pretty easy to look after much less work than weed plants although I don't and wouldn't fancy growing them in a hydro system that needs constant maintenance. I just dip the pots in the feed no ph'ing or anything.

we,only have to touch that resivoir once every 7 days and that is when we mix a new three gallon solution then we ph it and sit back til the next rez change. i hardly call that HIGH maintenance,and we just have a luv for hydro.

J

jipedestran

nice rig...this is what my wife grows....she uses natural light only.

peace
jip

the top ones a cattleya 2. is some sort of vanda 3.is a rynchostylis 4.5.6. are mini dendrobiums...btw highclass's advice is spot on..and if ya cut that phals spike back between the 2 and 3rd node she might throw another set of flowers...

K

kenned

Hey guys..
I've been working this past week at a (world) famous orchid grower here en Denmark..

Have taking a lot of pictures (42) and just wanna throw them up here.. Not all are equally pretty, but I'm just gonna show you all of them. Hope it's allright..

Here we go....:
DSCN4993.jpg

DSCN4992.jpg

DSCN4971.jpg

DSCN4972.jpg

DSCN4973.jpg

DSCN4974.jpg

DSCN4975.jpg

DSCN4976.jpg

DSCN4978.jpg

DSCN4979.jpg

DSCN4980.jpg

DSCN4981.jpg

DSCN4982.jpg

DSCN4983.jpg

DSCN4984.jpg

DSCN4985.jpg

DSCN4986.jpg

DSCN4987.jpg

DSCN4988.jpg

DSCN4989.jpg

DSCN4990.jpg

K

kenned

DSCN4991.jpg

DSCN4950.jpg

DSCN4951.jpg

DSCN4952.jpg

DSCN4953.jpg

DSCN4954.jpg

DSCN4955.jpg

DSCN4956.jpg

DSCN4957.jpg

DSCN4958.jpg

DSCN4959.jpg

DSCN4960.jpg

DSCN4961.jpg

DSCN4962.jpg

DSCN4963.jpg

DSCN4964.jpg

DSCN4965.jpg

DSCN4967.jpg

DSCN4968.jpg

DSCN4969.jpg

DSCN4970.jpg

He got like the most crazy orchids.. Some smell REALLY nice, some smell like a dead elephant.. Haha..

Take care,
kenned

K

kenned

Thanks guys!

Highclasscandy---
Didn't see you posted...

Heres a Coelogyne fimbriata in flower.. Only 1 flower at a time..
ceologynefimbriatad20-10-08.jpg

ceologynefimbriatad20-10-087.jpg

ceologynefimbriatad20-10-086.jpg

ceologynefimbriatad20-10-084.jpg

Show 'em guys...

cheers, kenned