What's new

Black Bamboo

cloneX

Just wondering if there are any experts here on Bamboo growing and propagation. I just got a small piece of stem which had a couple of short roots, will it grow anyone know?

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
I don't see why not. It is a grass varietal. A quick google and you could get the basics. After that, I would be interested to see just what it can do.

Namaste, mess

cloneX

Yes I already did, but not sure if it will take. Wanted to know if anyone here has any bamboo plants and who where interested and knew from experience how to grow, care and propagate bamboo plant, from the black stem form to the giants, any bamboo growers here?????

8bitNES

Just keep the rhizome under the soil line, filtered sun, keep wet and fertilized. Depending where you are in the world it might benefit from being in a greenhouse. Good luck. I love black bamboo.

8bit

cloneX

Thanks for reply 8bit, what do you mean by filtered sun (Partial Shade)? The weather has been very poor here this summer, very wet. Do bamboo like a lot of water?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i cloned all my bamboo here, i took like 15 of the top side shoots( that come off the main stalk near the top). then placed them in water. they yellowed, looked dead( on the outside), but eventually rooted and now are 2.5 years old and 6 ft, aslo 1 inch in thickness. they need light sandy soil, lots of organic matter, and lots of water specially on hot days.

heres a link to get you familiar how bamboo grows and what to expect.

http://www.lewisbamboo.com/habits.html

8bitNES

Yes, partial shade. At least, not full sun. I've never done it that way though. All the bamboo I've ever propagated/divided were either in greenhouses or under shade mesh. Soils I've worked with bamboo drains nicely but still retains a good amount of water.

8bit

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yea i read online it wasent possible to do it the way i did. but i have plants growing and thriving so they were wrong at least to some point. the plants i took the clones from were growing in full sun next to a river in VERY rocky soil. extremely rocky. but still living good, bamboo seems very adaptive.

8bitNES

Most bamboo can only be cloned from the rhizome and not just from any part of the stalk--at least as a general rule. While still in pots they have to basically be babied until they get established/out of shock. That's when you should have them out in the open sun... just remember to keep them watered. Once in the ground, and after they get established, they'll be a force to reckon with since most species have high tolerances of environments. They're fun and beautiful to look at but when you have to dig them up... just have some heavy machinery available. NOT fun at all.

What's up with the update cloneX?

8bit

rasputen

8bit,

You are spot on.

Bamboo rizomes NEED much moisture after xplant bcause they have lost most of the root structure they had . YET, it hates WET FEET!!! The first spring/summer make sure it dosen't thirst.

After becoming established the leaves will curl up to ask for water when it is time, but BEWARE ....bamboo is a force to be reconded with!

The 2 most often asked questions:rolleyes: on the Bamboo Forum:

1 How to grow Lucky "Bamboo" ? (not bamboo,...dracina)
2 How to KILL BAMBOO ?????????????

FACT: Bamboo is extremely sensitive to SALT !!!!
Large amounts of salt will eliminate bamboo. (at least the phyllostachys I have)

Now, large amounts of salt in your yard are not condusive to much of anything growing, and the micro herd was massacred !! But, you can eventually flush the salt out , after it has nuced the rampant bamboo.
But, if you work and harvest around the edge (and everywhere else!!!!) you can barely survive it *<8O>---rasputen

cloneX

Thanks for the replies guys. Lovely plants rasputen, wish we had the space and climate here to grow them. My rhizome cutting died :( will now have to wait until next year to try again. But I did have success form a smaller 3" piece of rhizome of Phyllostachys aurea. It will be sometime before it reaches a good size. I never heard of taking clones/cuttings from bamboo, leaves are so fragile and would be well dead by the time roots would have a chance to develop. What variety did you clone jaykush? I'm in Northern Europe, so I guess you must live in a Tropical zone to be ale to clone Bamboo

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I never heard of taking clones/cuttings from bamboo, leaves are so fragile and would be well dead by the time roots would have a chance to develop. What variety did you clone jaykush? I'm in Northern Europe, so I guess you must live in a Tropical zone to be ale to clone Bamboo

hey, i could not find any info on cloning bamboo either. i found a wild variety that grows here. i dont live in the tropics, more like a desert( i dont think the bamboo is native). you are right the leaves dont last long at all. id say after a week all of the leaves were brown but i left them in the water still, after a month or maybe more i saw roots pop out, i waited some more planted them in cups with compost and sand. now they are over 6 ft tall and almost an inch in diameter.

pretty much my technique was get a tall glass jar or vase. then put all the fresh cuts in there ( i took the part on a mature stalk where it branched out, making sure to get the clump at the base of the side branch) i took 20 cuts and 15 rooted eventually.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Can anyone recommend a vigorous fast growing type of bamboo?

I am hoping to propagate it to plant behind fence line as a natural fence/view blocker.

This TIME magazine claimed certain species can grow up to a foot a day... seems sort of far fetched, but I hope I can find out and find the fast growing type of bamboo.

robbiedublu

I took some root cuttings from a friend's patch and put them in a pot. They took almost 2 years to start to grow but they grew eventually. My advice about bamboo is to be careful where you plant it and put in a root barrier if appropriate. If you don't, in a mild climate, many varieties are impossible to control and will even spread for several feet underground and come up through blacktop.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can anyone recommend a vigorous fast growing type of bamboo?

I am hoping to propagate it to plant behind fence line as a natural fence/view blocker.

This TIME magazine claimed certain species can grow up to a foot a day... seems sort of far fetched, but I hope I can find out and find the fast growing type of bamboo.

pretty much all types of bamboo grow fast, compared to a lot of other plants. the fastest being in that link i posted above. there are some comparison pictures with a pole that is marked every foot. the bamboo i have, the new shoots go from ground level to 6-7 ft in about 2 weeks. at least 4-6 inches a day

i highly suggest you read the info in that link if you dont know about bamboo. it doesnt grow like most plants.

and like robbiedublu bamboo is INVASIVE, keep it under check. or it will get out of control.

hanuman

To grow 6-7 ft in two weeks (which is also what happens with mine), the bamboo must be really installed, i.e a few years old.

I don't think you can expect that with freshly planted bamboo. In fact, in april/may/june, when the growth takes place, some of the shoots are huge in diameter too (like 2 or 3 inches), which couldn't happen with a young plant.

:2cents:

h :ying:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
oh yes of course, newly cloned plants will put up less than pencil thin shoots at first. over time they get fatter and taller. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts