What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Microgrow in Filing Cabinet

high_hopes

Sorry all for somewhat reposting. My goal is to begin growing (never have before). I have been told using a stealth desk method wouldn't be ideal because of height issues. Others have suggested that I use a c-13 Mills cabinet. However I do need stealth and this may be too large for my situation. In my previous post someone suggested that I use filing cabinets. I like this idea because I work from home and the filing cabinets could be locked and camouflaged (if you will) very well.

The doors would be locked via a key and open only by me. Only problem is that they are metal, thus difficult to alter/cut.

Now here are my questions:
1. I am viewing filing cabinets now and the tallest I can find is 52". I understand that 5' is recommended but could I get by with 52"? As far as yield, I'm looking for 2 1/2-4oz.

2. What is the recommended width of a setup? Filing cabinets are pretty slim. The same cabinet I am viewing is 15" wide and 25" deep.

3. If 15"w is not wide enough, would it be possible to somehow combine two filing cabinets side by side and hallow out the two interior walls so there would be 1 large space? Not sure how I would do that...Other suggestions?

Thanks

high_hopes

Should have done more research before making this post. Didn't realize how f'in expensive filing cabinets are. Yikes.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
1. You could definititely yield 2.5-4oz from a filing cabinet that's 15"x25"x52". I think a 150w HPS would work nicely in there, just make sure you've got some good ventilation. I'm growing in a space that's 28"h x 26"w x 17"d. I've got 3sq ft, you've got 2.6 sq ft. You have a lot more height to work with, twice as much actually, so you'd be able to veg for longer, giving you a higher possible yield.

2 & 3. You could definitely work with 15" width, but if you wanted to put two cabinets together that wouldn't be a problem. Mounting and centering a light might be a little difficult, but the best way to figure those things out is smoke a bowl, look at what you've got to work with, and be creative. If you wanted to, you could get a 52" (4 drawer?) cabinet and use that just for flowering, and get a smaller 2 drawer (30"~) and use that for vegging/mothers.

As you've seen here, you can grow weed in most any space, from a computer case to a house. I originally wanted to do a file cabinet grow but that would stick out a bit, I'm a college student and there's no real reason for a filing cabinet to be in my room. The cabinet I have right now has worked great so far, there've been a few people in my room with the cabinet running and nobody has even looked twice. I was pretty proud after that.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
4oz would definitely be pushing it with a 150w HPS, sorry I wasn't really thinking. It could definitely be done, but it's a pretty high yield. I'm just starting my first grow, I'll be using a 150w HPS. I'm hoping to yield 2oz. If I yield more, awesome. Hopefully I will, but I don't want to get my hopes up and be let down. Check out the 150w HPS club in the Grower's Forum, tons of great information there. I think I've cluttered that thread long enough to create my own grow thread, I think I'll go do that now...

tngreen

Veteran
for filing cabs, check out craigslist. i see them on there all the time for free or very cheap.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Staples and larger Wal Marts have some nice cabinets. Staples always has sales, just keep an eye on the flyers and look out for coupons. I got my cabinet for $30, I thought it was a pretty good deal. I've got some pictures in my gallery if you want to see it.

high_hopes

I'm going to use ths instead -

45122701cienlmt8.jpg

Durable Oak finish
No lock
Ready to assemble
Includes one 5/8" thick fixed and two adjustable shelves
Fixed shelf is located in the center and the two adjustable shelves can be moved at 6" increments
Plastic pull handles
66" H x 30" W x 15" D

I would need to put a lock on her. I guess I can remove the fixed shelf.

Last edited:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
You'll probably get some flimsy cardboard back with that, just go to home depot and have them cut a piece of plywood to the exact size. Makes it much more sturdy, and made it easier for me to mount stuff to. If you wanted to leave the center shelf on there you could do a veg/mother chamber and a flowering chamebr if you wanted. A 150w HPS would provide 50w/sqft in there.

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
I have my veg cab in a small filing cabinet. I don't have to be 100% stealth though. I took the top drawer out, I have a piece of black leather velcroed down the sides and then this fabric over it like a tablecloth.
I drilled holes in the back and have a fan blowing in for ventilation, and I used a hole saw to make one big enough for my tru air filter. It works great.

4dywwi9.jpg

4dvqpts.jpg

2r4iyvq.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts