What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

selling legal clones in canada?

yahooman

are there licenses for selling legal clones in canada?could anyone share some info on this?i have some great strains,both elite clones and clones i have from seed.id really like to start a business,but have zero way to go about it.

You need a Nursery or Micro Nursery License to start. The actual application fee is not that bad but satisfying the conditions to get approved is costly.
Selling direct to the public will depend on what province you are in but for the most part, what I'm seeing is micro nurseries can currently only supply LP's.

There are a couple LPs in Canada selling seeds and clones but they are limited to sales within provincial boundaries. The cost is 60.00 + for 4 seeds of their generic strains or 40.oo per clone shipped.

I've been on the micro nursery and micro producer licenses since they were announced but am not using a consultant firm so it is a slow and tedious process.
I don't have any advice other than to say , if you don't have a liquid 250K behind you it's probably not going to happen.
It will take several years before craft cannabis shares the same privledges as craft beer and wine as far as direct access to customers goes.
I live in a small town with zero legal cannabis available other than by mail order and a craft cannabis outlet would do very well here. Sadly it won't happen with this generation of politicians at the helm.
give it 10 years.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
My son was talking with an investment banker who specializes in startup LP's in Canada & he told him that there has been literally no one looking for $s for nursery seed or clone only grows.

yahooman

im just going to set up a website,
canadian customers only,max 4 per person.ill state that the clones are free,but there is a consulting fee involved....

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Since you are providing a billable service, you will have to register with GST & become a tax collector for them. That puts you on their radar.

axle2u

are there licenses for selling legal clones in canada?could anyone share some info on this?i have some great strains,both elite clones and clones i have from seed.id really like to start a business,but have zero way to go about it.

ok, say lets just jump right in for a moment, and say yup, you got the required license, registered, legal and everything...

how much would you charge for a clone...?
what are the going rates...?
and what makes yours different, and/or more desirable ?

interesting topic, my friend....
and how many clones would you need to sell, to recoup your investments in such venture...?

have you got that figured out...?
a type of business plan, or a business model, would help you alot
before you even get started...

then youd have to also consider security issues
once someone knows you got clones, you might get ripped off

just saying....bud

-axle

axle2u

You need a Nursery or Micro Nursery License to start. The actual application fee is not that bad but satisfying the conditions to get approved is costly.
Selling direct to the public will depend on what province you are in but for the most part, what I'm seeing is micro nurseries can currently only supply LP's.

There are a couple LPs in Canada selling seeds and clones but they are limited to sales within provincial boundaries. The cost is 60.00 + for 4 seeds of their generic strains or 40.oo per clone shipped.

I've been on the micro nursery and micro producer licenses since they were announced but am not using a consultant firm so it is a slow and tedious process.
I don't have any advice other than to say , if you don't have a liquid 250K behind you it's probably not going to happen.
It will take several years before craft cannabis shares the same privledges as craft beer and wine as far as direct access to customers goes.
I live in a small town with zero legal cannabis available other than by mail order and a craft cannabis outlet would do very well here. Sadly it won't happen with this generation of politicians at the helm.
give it 10 years.

wow....im astounded

axle2u

canadian customers only,max 4 per person.ill state that the clones are free,but there is a consulting fee involved....

interesting work around, eh....kudios
hope it works...

I bought seeds from a vendor, stateside
they do not sell seeds, you make a donation to their charity
then they ship you a tshirt, a sticker, and slip a seed package in it
as a novelty item ...(stating its illegal to germinate,grow, cultivate seeds).....but then you take that on your own accord....eh

another work around...
good folks at salami....swami---
(code)

-axle b. robot

The business model we have been tirelessly promoting to our local government in small town western Canada is something like this.
A) micro nursery breeding craft cannabis to be able to offer start up materials to growers and to find new clone genetics to market to larger production growers. Tissue culture would be the standard op for cleansing, maintaining and releasing clone stock.
B) a garden center catering to educating people about growing cannabis and the ability to grow 4 plants from seed to harvest, on site, as part of a course on growing. Flowers harvested would then be required to be destroyed but the value of the course is in the learning, not the harvest itself.
C) a micro production license to be able to actually sell the seeds and clones to the public either from the location or thru the governments mandated means.

right now it's a non starter as no one will accept the business model
the LP's don't want guys like us entering the field but we will wait in the wings until thing start to become more accepted and mainstream.
It took craft beer and wine a long time to get to where they are today, craft cannabis and the ability to do business with the public directly like wine and beer businesses enjoy will come with continual pressure on local governments looking to create jobs in a greener economy.

diffusing

give it 10 years.
https://www.whistlermedicalmarijuana.com/live-plants/

whistler selling clones/genetics for 750$ and 20$ each additional. crazy

CaptainDankness

Might as well, I personally don't understand why nobody is doing it in the USA. They've been shipping seeds for years what's the difference in a cutting? It doesn't even need to be rooted if you get 2 day shipping.

I would probably call it a donation and only accept cash or Bitcoin. Bitcoin preferably, it's untraceable no need for a clean address, just a website and word of mouth will get around real quick if you have legit elites.

I've been thinking about it a lot really, I wouldn't have a problem paying $50 for an elite cut, you'll easily sell a thousand cuts pretty quickly that's $50k probably every couple months if that, depends on your inventory really. A million dollars in a single spring is a possibility.

Nobody else is doing it, won't take much to be one of the most trusted clone vendors.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
To obtain a nursery license through Health Canada, you will need to have $500,000.00 to do it.

That's right, you read correctly, $500K. Definitely not cheap. Much much less than it would require to become an LP, but still anything but cheap.

RMS

:smoweed:

diffusing

from what i was told one of the reason most dispensaries at least in ontario never sold clones was due to bug potential/end user incompetence/complaints.. something to factor in vs selling seeds.

guy brings mites into his grow down the road and you get the blame...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
To obtain a nursery license through Health Canada, you will need to have $500,000.00 to do it.

That's right, you read correctly, $500K. Definitely not cheap. Much much less than it would require to become an LP, but still anything but cheap.

RMS

:smoweed:

Do you have a source for that?

for a nursery license yes.... and that 500,000K needs to be liquid. The actual application fees are no where near that but to get the license you must have everything either in place, or show that you have the liquid assets to aquire/satisfy the conditions of the license.

At least that is my understanding anyhow. So that means don't take my word for it as fact.

For the Micro license, the figure is about 1/2 that but still, 250K in liquid assets.

I wouldn't do an illegal online operation as Billy Blair has hired a bunch of computer nerds to write algorithms to find them and bust them. Already happening with the online dope and clone delivery services in Ontario.

There are over a dozen underground clone dispensaries but you need to be invited in for access. Two of them are setting up for tissue culture, the clones of the future.

growshopfrank

Veteran
Might as well, I personally don't understand why nobody is doing it in the USA. They've been shipping seeds for years what's the difference in a cutting? It doesn't even need to be rooted if you get 2 day shipping.

I would probably call it a donation and only accept cash or Bitcoin. Bitcoin preferably, it's untraceable no need for a clean address, just a website and word of mouth will get around real quick if you have legit elites.

I've been thinking about it a lot really, I wouldn't have a problem paying $50 for an elite cut, you'll easily sell a thousand cuts pretty quickly that's $50k probably every couple months if that, depends on your inventory really. A million dollars in a single spring is a possibility.

Nobody else is doing it, won't take much to be one of the most trusted clone vendors.

Not trying to be negative but for giggles search what happened to the silk road.
Some crazy shenanigans tend to follow successful ventures along those lines.

Latest posts

Latest posts