What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

[Landrace] Malawi, Durban (CBG), Ethiopian and Honduras

ikinokori

Durban budshot flo+43

Durban budshot flo+43

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

ikinokori

i don't know if its the flash, but most seem already cloudy. That seems extremely early for me. Both Honduras and Durban have a lot of brown pistils. Durban is even already showing some amber trichomes there and there, so does malawi, although they are rare (malawi amber is almost exclusibely on sugar leaves, while durban have some on calyxes). Malawi and Honduras are fattening up everyday but durban doesn't seem to be really fattening up anymore nor making new pistils, yet she is not stunted or ill, she is actually one of the healthiest. Maybe it is already rippening ? she looks like she could potentially bd ready in less than a month... Ethiopian clearly needs more time, but it really is the only one where this is clear that she is far from being over.

Also, i am wondering when does the "flo" starts. Because if it is from the switch, then they have already 8 weeks of flowering. if its apparition of pistils, then only 6 weeks. I have to note they were in 11/13 and not in 12/13, and i do not know which cycle breeder use as reference for flowering time. I know 11/13 is faster and more natural in equatorial strain, i have read it reduces the eternal flowering of some (although some need further reduction) and puts them right into flower, so much less time needed in transition. My malawi looking like she is an early finisher blueberry pheno and the durban being a early strain overall (10 to 12 weeks according to cbg), if those flowering times are rated for 12/12 and since the switch, that would make sense. if not, then i am perplex....

What do you guys think ?

Last edited:

SolarLogos

i don't know if its the flash, but most seem already cloudy. That seems extremely early for me. Both Honduras and Durban have a lot of brown pistils. Durban is even already showing some amber trichomes there and there, so does malawi, although they are rare (malawi amber is almost exclusibely on sugar leaves, while durban have some on calyxes). Malawi and Honduras are fattening up everyday but durban doesn't seem to be really fattening up anymore nor making new pistils, yet she is not stunted or ill, she is actually one of the healthiest. Maybe it is already rippening ? she looks like she could potentially bd ready in less than a month... Ethiopian clearly needs more time, but it really is the only one where this is clear that she is far from being over.

Also, i am wondering when does the "flo" starts. Because if it is from the switch, then they have already 8 weeks of flowering. if its apparition of pistils, then only 6 weeks. I have to note they were in 11/13 and not in 12/13, and i do not know which cycle breeder use as reference for flowering time. I know 11/13 is faster and more natural in equatorial strain, i have read it reduces the eternal flowering of some (although some need further reduction) and puts them right into flower, so much less time needed in transition. My malawi looking like she is an early finisher blueberry pheno and the durban being a early strain overall (10 to 12 weeks according to cbg), if those flowering times are rated for 12/12 and since the switch, that would make sense. if not, then i am perplex....

What do you guys think ?
Wow ikinokori, you really did a nice job on those and an extra pat on the back for managing the height as well as you did:tiphat:.
I'm not as good at judging from behind a computer screen. I grew Durban poison once, but I don't think I had a good one, so I cannot tell you the best harvest time on that. Yours does still have a few clear heads on the trichomes, you could go another week or two at least I would think. You said it stopped swelling up and no new pistils. You could let a few more hairs brown over the next 5-7 days and see if there has been any change and probably you would have a few more milky trichomes. Again, sorry I'm not as good as some of the others, judging behind a computer.
I remember my last Hondurans, that I really liked the most, taking them when all the hairs were brown, but before the hairs were engulfed by the swollen calxy. If I remember, almost all cloudy trichomes and maybe 5% amber.
Hopefully someone better can chime in here.
Again, a very fine job my friend, really impressive.
Peace, God bless

Home-Grown

I leave Haze grown outside until >95% of pistils are brown.
Under lights, I leave Skunk until >95% of pistils are brown.

When I harvest Skunk 1 week earlier the trichomes are begining to turn milky.
Concluded that the earlier harvest is a clearer high, the later harvest a better smoke.

You could have a larger window of maturity with Sativa traited plants, perhaps over 2 or more weeks?
Bit like a length of string, whatever you want.

Looks good,
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi ikinokori,

I’ve been lurking on this thread for a while :wave: and I have to say, I’m very impressed with your progress! You are going to have the most uplifting stash out there once they’re all done.

I’ve grown Malawi which finished 12-14 weeks and Honduras which finished 13-15 weeks depending on the individual. I imagine the other other strains you are growing will have similar harvest times. I always measure flowering time from the photoperiod change because it just makes it easier to keep track. Also, I usually start with 11/13 and drop to 10/14 for the last few weeks.

With plants like these, i wait until the vast majority of the hairs have turned and there isn’t any (or much) new growth on the buds. This is also the time that you can look at the buds and they just look right. It takes a bit of experience but once you get to the harvest window, you will be able to take an educated guess.

Great job Iki! :dance013:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi ikinokori,

Great job, the sativas are loving your cares and me with all your updates :)
The Malawi and Durban are more advanced, but the Honduras and Ethiopia are barely reaching mid flowering.
Better start to consider the harvest time when the sativas are starting to ripe their last reflowering and in a peak of strong terpene production.

Best wishes!

ikinokori

Wow ikinokori, you really did a nice job on those and an extra pat on the back for managing the height as well as you did.
I'm not as good at judging from behind a computer screen. I grew Durban poison once, but I don't think I had a good one, so I cannot tell you the best harvest time on that. Yours does still have a few clear heads on the trichomes, you could go another week or two at least I would think. You said it stopped swelling up and no new pistils. You could let a few more hairs brown over the next 5-7 days and see if there has been any change and probably you would have a few more milky trichomes. Again, sorry I'm not as good as some of the others, judging behind a computer.
I remember my last Hondurans, that I really liked the most, taking them when all the hairs were brown, but before the hairs were engulfed by the swollen calxy. If I remember, almost all cloudy trichomes and maybe 5% amber.
Hopefully someone better can chime in here.
Again, a very fine job my friend, really impressive.
Peace, God bless

Thank you ! I will take in mind your informatiobs, you being the expert in Hondduran haha :D

I leave Haze grown outside until >95% of pistils are brown.
Under lights, I leave Skunk until >95% of pistils are brown.

When I harvest Skunk 1 week earlier the trichomes are begining to turn milky.
Concluded that the earlier harvest is a clearer high, the later harvest a better smoke.

You could have a larger window of maturity with Sativa traited plants, perhaps over 2 or more weeks?
Bit like a length of string, whatever you want.

Looks good,
Cheers

Yes i do think you are right, i saw Sativa have a much larger harvest window. I think thats when you need to take several factor in mind and not just trichome, but also pistils and overall plant state, so i think i will do. Thank you

Hi ikinokori,

I’ve been lurking on this thread for a while and I have to say, I’m very impressed with your progress! You are going to have the most uplifting stash out there once they’re all done.

I’ve grown Malawi which finished 12-14 weeks and Honduras which finished 13-15 weeks depending on the individual. I imagine the other other strains you are growing will have similar harvest times. I always measure flowering time from the photoperiod change because it just makes it easier to keep track. Also, I usually start with 11/13 and drop to 10/14 for the last few weeks.

With plants like these, i wait until the vast majority of the hairs have turned and there isn’t any (or much) new growth on the buds. This is also the time that you can look at the buds and they just look right. It takes a bit of experience but once you get to the harvest window, you will be able to take an educated guess.

Great job Iki!

Thank you very much :) I do hope too haha !

Thank you for the informations about the harvest times, i was planning on doing the exact same thing (switching to 10/14 last few weeks). I'll try to keep the Honduras at least as long, she is still making me some new pistils so i guess she has a few weeks to go. Strangely, she is the most advanced brown pistil wise... Guess sativa are not as "black and white" regarding the moment of harvest

Hi ikinokori,

Great job, the sativas are loving your cares and me with all your updates
The Malawi and Durban are more advanced, but the Honduras and Ethiopia are barely reaching mid flowering.
Better start to consider the harvest time when the sativas are starting to ripe their last reflowering and in a peak of strong terpene production.

Best wishes!

That was exactly my guess for the durban and malawi. I do feel there is maybe less than a month left for them, maybe even less. The ethiopian looks clearly not done. The Honduras however was much harder to read for me, so thank you for the information.

ikinokori

Quick update :

The stopping of bottled nutes and going to organic amendments was a complete success. Plants have reduced the yellowing a lot, they seem really doing much better and even stay moist for longer. There are fungi developping everywhere in my soil, i believe mainly because the wormmeal frass is very high in fungi and bacterial spore. Honduras have had the biggest fattening i have seen this grow, as soon as the top feeding kicked in i can see her fattening up everyday.

I have put too much of it though and it seems they all burned at the beginning. Not anymore, but i guess i should not follow the package dosage even for amendments. Next top dressing will be half strength, maybe less.

I also have chopped one of the two ethiopian which i made experiments on. Having two of them and this one being slow and clearly not as well while taking a lot of space, i thought it would be ok just to chop her. The thought of having a good amount of early smoke really helped this decision haha ^^ She was slower and did not seem to enjoyed the biocanna modified soil. I have read mixing soil amendments with prepackaged commercial soil are complicated because you can throw off a lot of things, so next grow will be with soil made from scratch by myself. I almost can consider that as a success actually, because as a result of this i spent hours learning about soils, what they are made of, how to make them and why this could have happenned while previously, i had no idea what was in my soil or how soils even worked

I am already planning my 2 next grows. I mentionned in the first post i have never run landrace before and the landrace i intended to run initially are the very long flowering sativa kind that is not beginner friendly. This grow was to get more familiar with pure sativa and their longer flowering times , stretch and nutrient needs by using easier sativa. Next grow will be very indica, all landrace (chinese, afghan, lebanese and pakistanese). It will be a very experimental grow for me and i will try a lot of things i was scared to try. Both of these grows (current and next grow) are mainly experiments for the real grow i wanted to do since the beginning and that i will do after the indica grow, aka in the next few months.I won't spoil too much, but let's say it is going to be a extremely tropical and wild grow of rare sativa from the past.

Last edited:

SolarLogos

Quick update :

The stopping of bottled nutes and going to organic amendments was a complete success. Plants have reduced the yellowing a lot, they seem really doing much better and even stay moist for longer. There are fungi developping everywhere in my soil, i believe mainly because the wormmeal frass is very high in fungi and bacterial spore. Honduras have had the biggest fattening i have seen this grow, as soon as the top feeding kicked in i can see her fattening up everyday.

I have put too much of it though and it seems they all burned at the beginning. Not anymore, but i guess i should not follow the package dosage even for amendments. Next top dressing will be half strength, maybe less.

I also have chopped one of the two ethiopian which i made experiments on. Having two of them and this one being slow and clearly not as well while taking a lot of space, i thought it would be ok just to chop her. The thought of having a good amount of early smoke really helped this decision haha ^^ She was slower and did not seem to enjoyed the biocanna modified soil. I have read mixing soil amendments with prepackaged commercial soil are complicated because you can throw off a lot of things, so next grow will be with soil made from scratch by myself. I almost can consider that as a success actually, because as a result of this i spent hours learning about soils, what they are made of, how to make them and why this could have happenned while previously, i had no idea what was in my soil or how soils even worked

I am already planning my 2 next grows. I mentionned in the first post i have never run landrace before and the landrace i intended to run initially are the very long flowering sativa kind that is not beginner friendly. This grow was to get more familiar with pure sativa and their longer flowering times , stretch and nutrient needs by using easier sativa. Next grow will be very indica, all landrace (chinese, afghan, lebanese and pakistanese). It will be a very experimental grow for me and i will try a lot of things i was scared to try. Both of these grows (current and next grow) are mainly experiments for the real grow i wanted to do since the beginning and that i will do after the indica grow, aka in the next few months.I won't spoil too much, but let's say it is going to be a extremely tropical and wild grow of rare sativa from the past.
You did it, switching to amended soil and getting off the bottled nutes. That's a tough thing to do and a lot of plants don't like it, or will take a long time to adjust afterwards. Good job pulling it off and I'm glad to hear it was a success!:tiphat: You and Yukon will get along great, he is all about the soil. I'd like to have more time to study soil, but with OD plants, flower room, veg room, I'm busy all the time. I keep it very simple (Dubi's peat recipe), bottled organic nutrients mostly.
I'm excited to see your mostly indica grow; that sounds like a great line-up as well. You were magnificent on this sativa grow, next one will be a cake-walk.
Good job my friend.
Peace, God bless

ikinokori

You did it, switching to amended soil and getting off the bottled nutes. That's a tough thing to do and a lot of plants don't like it, or will take a long time to adjust afterwards. Good job pulling it off and I'm glad to hear it was a success!:tiphat: You and Yukon will get along great, he is all about the soil. I'd like to have more time to study soil, but with OD plants, flower room, veg room, I'm busy all the time. I keep it very simple (Dubi's peat recipe), bottled organic nutrients mostly.
I'm excited to see your mostly indica grow; that sounds like a great line-up as well. You were magnificent on this sativa grow, next one will be a cake-walk.
Good job my friend.
Peace, God bless

Thank you ^^ I would love to talk to him, i am so new and have so much to learn about this. You have been a great help to me too and you grow gorgeous plants in conditions i would dream of, so no worry i have no doubt one day you will take the time when you will feel like it or even if you feel like it, no matter if it is tomorrow, next year or even later. It is still very early so i am still wary and I still rely a lot on my prepackaged soil this grow, as i have transplanted them into a biocanna soil so i have still a lot to do and learn.

I would love to know that i could potentially grow any plants alongside, not just rely on schema schedules and manufacturer informations, because as i am not very old at all i do not know where our future are headed and i still have potentially a lot of time to live on earth so if anything turns bad or just change dramatically in the next 60 years or so, i hope i will at least be able to just green a little bit of land, restore some old strains or at least not make the situation worse. That is also why i have a lot of landrace strains in my fridge, in vacuum and with no oxygen, if those old strains go extinct, i could still help them go back to earth. i know i am not the only one collecting landrace and my personnal seed bank is still low compared to other but this actually warms my heart, because the more people have those old strains on their hands, the more chance of survival they have and the higher the chance they will end up in the hands of someone that could be able to reintroduce them to their original land.

i am probably not going to be this person, but i will try to help in another way, by logging the grow of each strains and the issue i encounter which each specific strains . This current grow is not it, because it is kind of all over the place and not that well done because it is my first logged grow here and i am still not very knowledgeable in growing plants, but i hope, except for the very next grow which will be very experimental, that next grows will be much more organized and more a log of the characteristics, growth and how each strains behave and not about my own growing experimentations. As i will progressively move onto rarer strains , mostly one that i have not seen a grow log anywhere, i hope this will be at least help a little bit anyone in the future in reviving strains, even if it is just to have pictures of them, get some info on how long they took or get a single information only, like for example their hermaphrodic tendencies, resistance to cold/heat/pests, or even something like the high calmag needs of the durban, which seems to originate in the soil of durban, which are very high in calmag.

Last edited:

Oddvar

Great grow report! Thanks for the information. Can you give a smoke report after a little cure, please?

:gracias: : tiphat:

ikinokori

Yes of course, i will try to do it for each strain straight after drying,then one with a minimal cure and then another after a much longer cure ^^

ikinokori

I have sampled the Ethiopian that i chopped way too early. it was surprisingly potent, and not the kind of "ok, i thought i wouldnt be high but i still got a buzz" high, but more the " holy guacamole i was not expecting that" kind of high. I was dubious if i would get any good buzz out of it so i went on with my life and went to the grocery store. and bam, i ended up very high which made me get some funny looks. creeper for sure.

I need to do some more testing that i will do today and i will come back with a better report. Someone told me like yesterday without me even mentionning my current situation that he has heard some sativa can have a much better effect when chopped very early so it is very interesting. In the past, everytime i chopped extremely early, i just got a poor buzz, but it does seem some sativa have a weird pattern for harvest, with a lot of "turning ripe but then reflower back and looking too early", getting milky trichome very early yet no amber in sight for ages...

It will be interesting to compare the early chopped one to the "properly matured" chopped one, as this one is alive doing well and wont be chopped for weeks while already being way more advanced.

Last edited:

deepwaterdude

Quick update :

Hello, Ikinokori, can you say a little more about how you did this and how long it took for them to regreen? I'm having trouble keeping things running with the bottled stuff, love to see the fan leaves green and stay on these girls a little longer;)