What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed Germination Time Question

Because I am so used to seeds germinating in usually no longer than 2-3 days, what are some of the longest germination times anyone out there has experienced?

I wood

Up to three weeks with old poorly stored sativa seed, Luang Prabang.
2out of 3 of the late poppers were extremely mutated and only one grew out of it, other just died after a month.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you plant directly in the soil you can expect to wait up to 3 weeks before seeing any activity.

Some folks use techniques to speed up the germination process.
Soaking in a glass of water is one of those processes and using this method I, personally, never soak for more than 24 hrs because the seeds can drown.

Extremely hard shelled and fresh harvested seed seem to take the longest to germ so give your gals some time to do their thing.

Whenever I plant directly in soil, I give the seeds a minimum of 2 weeks before digging through the soil again looking for clues.

XDash

A little more than 5 month with a zamal GN purple line batch , directly in soil in the end of April but they only started to grow in September /October after a very rainy week... sometimes equatorial sativa have some special habits because they come from special place

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Soaked for 12hrs and then manually 'cracked,' they come up awfully fast inside.
Outdoor temps below the mid 70's will definitely slow down germination. ;)

Sivas

Around 10 days direct from soil, best way to pop seed for me is to soak them for 24h in a solution of 20ml 3%hydrogen peroxide and two cups of water, works like magic !

Thank you all so much for the responses.

The two that are being tough are Khmer Gold, and Laos Luang Prabang from GN.

I feel like I should be sowing these directly in soil.

I wood

Thank you all so much for the responses.

The two that are being tough are Khmer Gold, and Laos Luang Prabang from GN.

I feel like I should be sowing these directly in soil.

Despite the very shady & misleading banner above the listing for those seeds, they are very old.
If you have skills and get lucky, 20% germination rate is the top end of what you should expect. I’m basing this on gypsys responses in several threads and three packs of each that I attempted with the most care I could give them. If you are not familiar with chimeras seed cleaning/starting protocol it would be a good idea to look it up. It is in the comprehensive strain guide I believe.
Good luck, there is uniqueness in those seeds worth the effort.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Sometimes ive had them take several days, Ive almost gave up before. But usually if within 3-4 days you haven't noticed the seed cracking ,or it's black and dead looking.

Here's what I do, I scuff sometimes but I usually just put them in water 12hrs approximately and then into wet paper towels. I only had 2-3 outta at least 120 last year for outdoors and This yr Ive had pretty good results. I accidentally forgot I had some seeds in water and left them in there WAY to long. And I had a few that didn't pop so watch that lol. But sometimes I'll wet my paper towels with a 1/4 or so liquid seaweed and that will usually get them popping. Then I water my seedlings with liquid seaweed and they always seem to do good. Id like to try the rapid rooters also

Despite the very shady & misleading banner above the listing for those seeds, they are very old.
If you have skills and get lucky, 20% germination rate is the top end of what you should expect. I’m basing this on gypsys responses in several threads and three packs of each that I attempted with the most care I could give them. If you are not familiar with chimeras seed cleaning/starting protocol it would be a good idea to look it up. It is in the comprehensive strain guide I believe.
Good luck, there is uniqueness in those seeds worth the effort.

Yeah so far out of the Laos I've got 3/10 to germ and none of the KG so far, it's been about 5 days now. I will heed your advice and look into this method. But honestly I'm all good with the low germ rate, I knew I was taking a gamble 🎲🎰🎲🎰🔮

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I had a couple old seeds that wouldn't pop. After a week I pulled them out of the water. I wanted to crack the seeds so I used vice grips and slowly turned the adjustment screw and the seed stem/tail squirted out the end. I used a couple needles to pull the shell apart. Voila. Seedlings on the path to happiness.

Sometimes ive had them take several days, Ive almost gave up before. But usually if within 3-4 days you haven't noticed the seed cracking ,or it's black and dead looking.

Here's what I do, I scuff sometimes but I usually just put them in water 12hrs approximately and then into wet paper towels. I only had 2-3 outta at least 120 last year for outdoors and This yr Ive had pretty good results. I accidentally forgot I had some seeds in water and left them in there WAY to long. And I had a few that didn't pop so watch that lol. But sometimes I'll wet my paper towels with a 1/4 or so liquid seaweed and that will usually get them popping. Then I water my seedlings with liquid seaweed and they always seem to do good. Id like to try the rapid rooters also

Thank you. I definitely feel like adding that liquid seaweed would help a lot, I'll hold on to this too!

I had a couple old seeds that wouldn't pop. After a week I pulled them out of the water. I wanted to crack the seeds so I used vice grips and slowly turned the adjustment screw and the seed stem/tail squirted out the end. I used a couple needles to pull the shell apart. Voila. Seedlings on the path to happiness.

I like that, too often have I cracked seeds and messed them up by squeezing too hard. Fortunately when you crack them you can clearly see a live white embryo in there, they just aren't strong enough to get out on their own sometimes. Really curious about trying this one too haha, I'll resort to this when I'm ready to give up on other methods.

I wood

I like that, too often have I cracked seeds and messed them up by squeezing too hard. Fortunately when you crack them you can clearly see a live white embryo in there, they just aren't strong enough to get out on their own sometimes. Really curious about trying this one too haha, I'll resort to this when I'm ready to give up on other methods.

I’m relatively new to cracking the shells but have got a few extra sprouts by cracking stubborn seeds after sitting in wet environment for a week. This was pre sativa era for me.

Be patient , I just got first very old Thunk seed to break shell after 16 days in a sandwich bag, in a germination machine with just a one hour h2o2 soak first. No scuffing, cracking or other tricks used on this batch.