What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

making seeds

hi :tiphat:

i think ordering fem pollen and try making seeds,
pollen is 0.01g is that enough make 4 plants make full of seeds if i give fan blowing that freedly?or is it better brushing pollen right in one branch

therevverend

Veteran
I'd brush it. Or put it in a plastic bag. Put the bag over a branch and shake. Working with small amounts of pollen is tough because such a small amount goes a long way. The fan could easily blast the pollen onto the floor before it sticks to the plants.

GoatCheese

Veteran
hi :tiphat:

i think ordering fem pollen and try making seeds,
pollen is 0.01g is that enough make 4 plants make full of seeds if i give fan blowing that freedly?or is it better brushing pollen right in one branch
Buy a women's makeup powder brush. It's a very efficient way to apply pollen on females.
Collect some pollen on the brush and tap it over a top or use it as a "catapult" to bomb the ladies with pollen.
Just keep it away from the flowers/resin ..or your fingers when your handling the brush cause the hairs will start sticking togetehr. After wards rinse it with plenty of water.

7317851192475_500x500.jpg

I wood

Buy a women's makeup powder brush. It's a very efficient way to apply pollen on females.
Collect some pollen on the brush and tap it over a top or use it as a "catapult" to bomb the ladies with pollen.
Just keep it away from the flowers/resin ..or your fingers when your handling the brush cause the hairs will start sticking togetehr. After wards rinse it with plenty of water.

View Image

That is huge, while I have no doubt it hold work it is not the best choice for small scale work, my opinion only.

A cheap water color paint brush has served me well for about twenty years now, same one. The plastic end makes a perfect hole to stick clones in and the brush part pollinates accurately when needed or drops a small cloud over bigger areas when that is the plan. Also it fits in the small glass vials I use to store pollen, making an easier application without spillage or accidental pollen drifting around.
Usually I seed one small lower branch leaving the rest of plant unseeded.

Be warned Fin, seed making is more addictive than drugs for many.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Q tips are cheaper & easier to throw in the trash. They hold and distribute pollen just fine without making a huge mess.

Quite honestly though...
I’d suggest using the pollen in a bag on a branch.
Use a paper bag (parchment paper is even better) and fold the pollen into the corner. Carefully place the bag over the branch to be pollinated and seal it around the branch as well as you can.
Unfold the corner and shake the bag/branch.
If you’re not trying to pollinate the entire plant, spray it with water previous to removing the bag & spray into the bag as you remove it. This will nearly eliminate any stray pollen. I don’t worry about a couple stray seeds.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
:yeahthats

A long, long time ago (the '80's) I did the 'buds in a baggie of pollen'.

Then I used to do the fancy little artist paintbrush thing...

the past 5 years or so, I just use Q-Tips, like MJP does...

Use 'em once and throw 'em away..No more having to keep track of an expensive make-up brush or artist brush between insemination sessions.

Q-Tips work great for detailed pollination work...

mr.brunch

Veteran
You can use a ‘carrier’ to mix with pollen which makes pollination easier.... use a little flour which has been baked and cooled- not sure of the correct ratio, a google search would probably find it easy enough.

meltybubble

Q tips are cheaper & easier to throw in the trash. They hold and distribute pollen just fine without making a huge mess.

Quite honestly though...
I’d suggest using the pollen in a bag on a branch.
Use a paper bag (parchment paper is even better) and fold the pollen into the corner. Carefully place the bag over the branch to be pollinated and seal it around the branch as well as you can.
Unfold the corner and shake the bag/branch.
If you’re not trying to pollinate the entire plant, spray it with water previous to removing the bag & spray into the bag as you remove it. This will nearly eliminate any stray pollen. I don’t worry about a couple stray seeds.

Q tips for the win, ideal for target pollination.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
In-house I use a small makeup brush from the dollar store. I get 4 in a pack and throw them out when I'm finished with them. As the buds grow I re-apply with the brush.

Outdoor I use a large zip lock bag like a condom and stroke the colas early like I'm jerking her off. Results are outstanding. The girls love it. :D

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can use a ‘carrier’ to mix with pollen which makes pollination easier.... use a little flour which has been baked and cooled- not sure of the correct ratio, a google search would probably find it easy enough.

I tried this...
The flour rendered the pollen unusable for me.

I’m making seeds not bread. :biggrin:

GoatCheese

Veteran
That is huge, while I have no doubt it hold work it is not the best choice for small scale work, my opinion only.

A cheap water color paint brush has served me well for about twenty years now, same one. The plastic end makes a perfect hole to stick clones in and the brush part pollinates accurately when needed or drops a small cloud over bigger areas when that is the plan. Also it fits in the small glass vials I use to store pollen, making an easier application without spillage or accidental pollen drifting around.
Usually I seed one small lower branch leaving the rest of plant unseeded.

Be warned Fin, seed making is more addictive than drugs for many.
Hi.
Well, if i'd buy pollen ..pay money for it, i sure would make good amount of seeds with it ..hundreds if not some thousands, but that's just me.

Yea maybe smaller brush will do better on really small scale dusting, but when using the kind of make up brush i pictured, you can also use just a small corner of it, you don't have to dip whole brush into the pollen ..but you can. It works very well for bigger buds and it's quite efficient too.

My brush is maybe 4-5 cm across.I usually put some pollen on normal dinner plate and put it on the brush from there. Little pollen will goes a long way when you use the brush right.
I grow under a 250w hps so my plants arent that big and this brush works very well for me.

I don't like Q-tips cause when you have very little pollen to work with the cotton on those seem to trap some of it, while from a brush it slides off nicely.
But whatever works for you guys, do it.:)

I wood

Hi.
Well, if i'd buy pollen ..pay money for it, i sure would make good amount of seeds with it ..hundreds if not some thousands, but that's just me.

Yea maybe smaller brush will do better on really small scale dusting, but when using the kind of make up brush i pictured, you can also use just a small corner of it, you don't have to dip whole brush into the pollen ..but you can. It works very well for bigger buds and it's quite efficient too.

My brush is maybe 4-5 cm across.I usually put some pollen on normal dinner plate and put it on the brush from there. Little pollen will goes a long way when you use the brush right.
I grow under a 250w hps so my plants arent that big and this brush works very well for me.

I don't like Q-tips cause when you have very little pollen to work with the cotton on those seem to trap some of it, while from a brush it slides off nicely.
But whatever works for you guys, do it.:)

Yup, do what works for you.
I’m relatively new to storing pollen. Never had to worry about waste before, it amazed me how much came out of relativity small flower cluster.
200-300 seeds is the normal yield from a small lower branch that would have been an 1/8-1/4 otherwise.
Never used a bag myself but I see the logic there.
Never thought of a qtip, usually handy and disposable, makes sense.
Lots of good ideas so far.

Last edited:

SolarLogos

Short answer: 1 part pollen to 50 parts flour.
Here is the link: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=357407
Author of the thread is Douglas.Curtis
### Storing Your Pollen for Years (Possibly 10+ Years)
Pollen can be stored for a long time in a freezer, as long as it has been thoroughly dried. Silica packs do not absorb down to a low enough relative humidity, so dried rice is used.

Heat un-cooked rice in an oven at 150F-170F for at least 12hrs. Pour the hot rice into a sealable glass container (I personally use large peanut butter jars). Seal the jar and let it cool to room temperature.

Collect your pollen and carefully transfer it to a foil baking cup or other small container which fits in the jar. Seal the pollen in the rice container and set it in a cool, dark place for 7 days.

Toast some flour in a skillet on the stove until it is a dark tan color, then seal hot in another glass, airtight container and let cool to room temperature. This will remove the moisture from the flour.

Remove the pollen from the dried rice jar and mix it at a ratio of 1 part pollen to 50 parts flour.

Seal the mixed pollen in small containers, foil or plastic sealed pouches or (preferred) 1.5ml centrifuge tubes.

LABEL your containers carefully, using the specific plant name, date and any other information you believe you'll remember later. (Because there's a good chance you won't)

Seal the containers in a thermos and keep it in your freezer. The thermos acts as an additional thermal protection barrier, just in case you have a freezer issue years down the line. It also makes transferring pollen from one place to another a safe operation. Just be sure to keep the thermos at freezing temps, and to limit the amount of time outside the freezer.

Hope it helps.

Peace, God bless

Last edited:

White Beard

As a general point, fresh (as in fresh out of a sealed bag of) unpopped popcorn kernels are better than rice: rice need heat and pressure to absorb any moisture at all, which is why rice fails w/ wet electronics. Popcorn kernels will absorb faster and hold more. Silica gel is made for the purpose, but I don’t know its operational limits. In my experience, it requires longer under heat to give up its moisture - partly because people don’t ‘burp’ the moisture-laden air from their ovens while drying.

That said, I like these just fine:

Interteck Packaging 50 Pack of 10 Gram Silica Gel Packets - Rechargeable Tyvek Desiccant Packets and Dehumidifiers, Food Safe Silica Gel [1.25 x 3 inches]

These are food-safe, according to the vendor, where the blue-to-pink indicating packs are not. Copy that into amazon, and you’re good. Nice size, good quantity, decent price.

grayeyes

Not sure if you are trying for a world record with seed production.

I just finished a grow of SSH. I used a dollar store makeup brush, with my own male pollen and first tagged with masking tape then lightly dusted some lower buds. From one plant alone I got over 200 seeds. I am drying and curing the last two plants.

I guess you can go exotic and use pubic hair from virgins but the dollar store makeup brush certainly fulfilled my needs.

hi
try to do 200-300 good seed.
i like pop seeds and grow ppk style,that way i see lots of different variations.
i take clones for my girls and grow them next after seed grow,