What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are you favorite trimming shears?

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Right on Bud!
I hate trimming with a passion,,,
I won’t do it so leave that to the females,,s2:tiphat:
Right on, trimming totally sucks. I remember my first harvest, and how I thought trimming my own buds was so cool and after a couple of ounces all I could think was screw this. I only had one pair of scissors not knowing how the resin jams them up so quick.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Justsum,

If you aren't scraping your scissors after trimming you are missing out on the reward at the end.
I do a little just to keep them running, but at the end of the season I have so much to trim to get through all by myself. I'm more concerned with getting through the mountain in front of me than saving that little bit of scissor hash. I don't smoke anyways, just do edibles.

hayday

Veteran
I've had a few trim sessions with these big fiskars now and although they perform well and are agile enough, they are a bit dangerous.

Sharp,pointy tips, check
Functional spring assist,check
ergonomical handles ,check

The only thing I don't like is the sharp knife edges on the outer portion of the blades. Effectively ,there's two very sharp knives working here and I don't so much see a need for them.
My life work is that of a Wood worker, I am familiar with sharp objects but these scizzors are kinda scary. With the dual blades and spring assist,it's hard to keep focus on exactly where the sharp parts are and they are sharp. The worst part is cleaning the resin off.Three minor nicks in three sessions. All with alcohol ,resin straight to open wound.
They come with a nice sheath for the belt and I could see them being awsome outdoors because they will chop a large branch and having a super sharp dagger on person might be handy but on my trimming bench,these guys are a little over the top for me. I'm happy to have them but I don't think sticky work is their stong point.

Anyway , heres a pic of the model # if anyone wants to hunt a pair down.

Attachments

• IMG_2240.jpg
    IMG_2240.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2238.jpg
    IMG_2238.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 34

CimbaKat

Fiskars. Just keep em maintained and clean em, oil em, sharpen em. They're last damn near forever. Great for the grow room and flipping rooms, cutting zip ties, trellis netting, plant maintenance, harvesting, trimming. They win at everything. Tried other brands but fiskars everytime.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Fiskars arn't shears. They are useless at the job if you try. They open too slowly for my hand, and they set the blades bypass action so snug that I can't trim an ounce before they gum shut.

Fiskars are trimming scissors for photo shoots. But you have to hold them ham fisted. I'm very dexterous, and they are a hindrance I just can't accept.

Good trimming shears come from the dollar store, and don't cut paper without some effort to keep the bypass close. Often they need spraining and operating to loosen then up. Till the two halves move freely with no interaction except for the fulcrum point they share. Only then can you set out to nail a few kilo's.

Fiskars are manicuring scissors. Not trimming shears. A definition I feel should be made.

Grapefruitroop

:dance013: I agree !
Best scissors for trimming high volume like dozens of pounds for months are no doubt the Chikamasa....:dueling: They will save your hand muscles!

For home grown I would say any cheap one is good like fiskars but, the spring inside the scissor doesn't really help you on the long run in my opinion....

:tiphat:

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For home grown I would say any cheap one is good like fiskars but, the spring inside the scissor doesn't really help you on the long run in my opinion....

:tiphat:

Change out the spring for something heavier and get a hand workout in bro!

Do you even lift? :laughing:

And there is my new million peso idea - combine the strength training of Capt's of Crush hand exercisers with shears for the ultimate trimmer's workout. "Why yes, I can chop down this 200 year old oak tree with my shears. TIMBER!!!"

Yes, I know. I'm a dork. :biggrin:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I just picked up another pair of the chikamasa 500sf and they are light years ahead of normal scissors for trimming. The guy who helped me trim tried using the "normal" orange scissors and then the chikamasa and he didn't wanan go back to the normals :D

prune

Veteran
Fiskars arn't shears. They are useless at the job if you try. They open too slowly for my hand, and they set the blades bypass action so snug that I can't trim an ounce before they gum shut.

Fiskars are trimming scissors for photo shoots. But you have to hold them ham fisted. I'm very dexterous, and they are a hindrance I just can't accept.

Good trimming shears come from the dollar store, and don't cut paper without some effort to keep the bypass close. Often they need spraining and operating to loosen then up. Till the two halves move freely with no interaction except for the fulcrum point they share. Only then can you set out to nail a few kilo's.

Fiskars are manicuring scissors. Not trimming shears. A definition I feel should be made.

This guy knows his stuff...

As much as you know, though, if you haven't tried the OLFA-SCS4 you should treat yourself to a pair.

Japanese made stainless (scissors) that are small and maneuverable, yet have generous finger grips like the chickys. Pointy and sharp, you can use them with both wet and finish dry trimming.
Enjoy

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just picked up another pair of the chikamasa 500sf and they are light years ahead of normal scissors for trimming. The guy who helped me trim tried using the "normal" orange scissors and then the chikamasa and he didn't wanan go back to the normals :D

I picked up a pair on your recommendation. You were right. They're awesome.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I'm ready to buy some new scissors.I'm liking the reviews on the Chikamasa's,but not sure whether to go tension spring,or springless.I am sure the springs don't present a lot of resistance,but these arthritic hands are getting more and more sensitive.The springs could be helpful,but they could also be a hindrance.

What say ye,experienced trimmers and enthusiasts?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Any of these short bladed scissors with close bypass action, will likely put more force on your hand through gumming up, than the spring does.

Last time I needed some, I went and tried a few on. Every hand is different, so every set of scissors has different handles. I like the larger loop to take 3 fingers, with a fit that means I can wave the scissors about without my thumb in, with my hand in a relaxed state. This means I don't need to cram my thumb in deep, which would lead to the pain bad scissors soon bring. That thumb hole needs just the right angle and size. Once I got that right, I had to free them off. They could of cut hair or paper, which is a bad start. Sharp tools blunt quicker. Even the cheapest now offer ground edges and a close enough bypass to be called self sharpening. I had to live with it to get good handles. Then put things between the blades to force the rivet. spraining them apart while working them, until the two bits of metal swang freely about each other. Only then did I have comfortable scissors that require no effort to operate, until they need a quick scrape. The curvature of the blades is important. Lets say I have 5" in length. I want the tips to contact, when 4.5" of the blades still have light between them. So I can dive in with the tip, nipping away, without any drag from the rest of the blades contacting. Otherwise 5" of sticky blade is impossible. You would need a truck spring to open them.

Considering the many weeks of your life you could spend trimming, it's something to get right. My £1 shop one's of over a decade just failed, because the plastic dried out, and mainly because I tried to fell a redwood with them. Do protect your purchase by getting a full set of scissors, secateurs and saw.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Finding good tools,that makes your harvesting easier to accomplish is just good advice.I had used the Fiskars scissors,and although they were functionally acceptable,I would like to try something new.I'm inclined to try one of the Chikamasa style scissors.Just trying to settle on sprung,or unsprung.Maybe I'll try the unsprung first.If they trouble me,I'll pass them to one of my friends and try the other style.

Green Squall

Just bought my first pair of Fiskars and I can't believe I've been torturing myself all these years with regular ole' office scissors.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
:yeahthats
take the little orange lock off of them (it just gets in your way)and just save the rubber tip for when you're done using them!

prune

Veteran
I'm ready to buy some new scissors.I'm liking the reviews on the Chikamasa's,but not sure whether to go tension spring,or springless.I am sure the springs don't present a lot of resistance,but these arthritic hands are getting more and more sensitive.The springs could be helpful,but they could also be a hindrance.

What say ye,experienced trimmers and enthusiasts?

I spent a lifetime carrying and using an 835 gram pair of Wiss A-9 shears, so I believe I have a "worst case" experience in scissor arthritis.

If you're using your fingers to grip and operate your scissors, do like F-E advises - get a quality pair with a quality pivot and adjust them till they only cut/contact at the very tip.

When you finally blow out your thumb from too much finger-trimming, that's where the Fiskers can come in handy, as you can operate them ham-handed without the thumb. Fiskars have a shitty pivot though, and fighting that spring with a bum thumb gets old real quick...

Latest posts

Latest posts