What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How one simple change let a province sell residents live pot plants

Rider420

How one simple change let a province sell residents live pot plants

https://globalnews.ca/news/4758417/ship-live-cannabis-plants/

The last thing that happens before a live marijuana plant is sealed up to be shipped from Eve & Co’s sprawling greenhouse in Strathroy, Ont., is that a worker switches on a little LED light inside the package.

The plant will take three days to get to a customer in Newfoundland (and up to seven to reach the remoter parts of Labrador), But since customers are paying $35 for shipping, as much as the plants themselves cost, they have to arrive in good condition. Hence the supply of private sunshine in a closed box in the back of a truck.

“This past year, we’ve done a lot of testing, shipping citronella plants across the country in different packaging to see what works the best,” explains Eve & Co’s Kelsey Jobson.

“We shipped to the Yukon in the dead of winter, just hoping to get the coldest temperatures we could. We optimized our packaging based on those trials.”

Selling Canadians live marijuana plants has been one of the more complicated problems of legalization. Provincial monopolies, with a lot on their plates already, haven’t wanted to deal with the headache of keeping plants healthy in busy distribution centres.

So it was nearly two months after legalization that Cannabis NL became the first provincial retailer to offer customers live plants. Their approach bypasses the problem by letting licenced producers send plants straight to customers after the sale is processed on their site. All the province has to do is take the order — and collect the taxes.

“Newfoundland has a great framework for this setup because we are allowed to ship direct to customers,” Jobson says.

here have been about 10 orders a day since sales started this week, the company says.

Jobson says the company is hoping to expand the concept to other provinces.

“We would love to. We’re in talks with a number of them. We just need to work out that framework.”

Once the four-week-old plants arrive, they will be ready to harvest in about three months, depending on the strain and light conditions in their new home.

Would-be legal home growers have been caught in a legal paradox since legalization: federal law allows four plants per household, but only if they’re grown from legally obtained seeds. There aren’t any legal paths to buy seeds, so nobody can start to grow plants, at least legally. (One loophole: being given — not buying — seeds or plants from a licenced medical grower.)

Eve & Co. is drawing on experience with the flower trade, which has long experience in shipping live plants long distances and having them arrive healthy, explains CEO Melinda Rombouts.

“We’ve received [flower] clones from Ethiopia, Mexico, Costa Rica — it’s actually very typical to get your young plants basically through the mail.”

So how many growers here have received clones from other nations?

Clones for all by the spring. :smokeit:

Cannabis legalization is just a con by the Liberals eh. :laughing:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I wonder if we'll ever see weed seedlings at the nursery in spring when I pick up my flowers and veggies.

Last spring I stuck a NL Auto in with tomatoes at the local nursery. It fit right in. I even pulled a barcode sticker off a tomato plant so it would scan as a tomato. :D I often wonder if someone put it in their garden.

I'll do another one this year, and get a picture of it for the peanut gallery.

Sign

I wonder if we'll ever see weed seedlings at the nursery in spring when I pick up my flowers and veggies.

Last spring I stuck a NL Auto in with tomatoes at the local nursery. It fit right in. I even pulled a barcode sticker off a tomato plant so it would scan as a tomato. :D I often wonder if someone put it in their garden.

That's awesome lol

shaggyballs

Veteran
Products on this website will only be delivered to addresses within the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer

Thats a blessing to those who grab that could imagine how confused theyd be being like ohhh hey ill take this fucker right here lol but cannabis should be looked at like how tomatoes are looked at HARMLESS :)

blastfrompast

Veteran

use a pair of scisors and round the leaves perhaps...or just the tips...