What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mould problems, and strategies to reduce them

luvaduck

It seems a few of us Aussie outdoor growers have had issues with mould recently, so I thought I would start up a thread to get heads together, and maybe help reduce a most disheartening problem.

I'll begin with the problems I've encountered, my observations, and my conclusions. Keep in mind I grow in the wet tropics, where relative humidity can be in the high 90's for months on end. I would also like to point out that I don't like to use fungicides, or any chemical input for that matter, and very rarely do.

In seedlings, the most common issue I find is "damping off". In really bad cases, this can roll a seedling before the first set of true leaves appear. Seedlings generally appear sluggish and under nourished. Generally my issue has been waterlogged seed raising mix. I have also noticed an higher incidence if I don't sterilise my pots (I use 75mm tubes for germination). The brand of mix for me is important, I swear by searles as I never seem to have problems with that. Occasionally I will use my main potting mix (which I blend myself) as a base and then cover the seed with the finer seed raising mix.
The way I normally deal with damping off is to discard plants and potting medium, unless they are really important strains, in which case I will drench the soil with the recommended rate of mancozeb. I know this stuff is toxic, but I figure that this is the worst I use and it is normally in the first couple of weeks of growth, so little harm done? Worse walking down a city street and inhaling benzene..

During growth the only real fungal issue I have come across is root rot. In my situation this is due to soil type ie too heavy, sticky clay.. I find perlite to be a fantastic investment. It's cheap if you can find it in bulk, I normally pay $30 for 100 litres, and it is really light if you have to carry it long distances. That and coir fibre to amend native soils, just add ferts and, viola!

Flowering issues are the real let down. Nothing like running some real exciting strains then loosing a great percentage to rot. For me powdery mildew is not a great threat, although it does occur. The main issues I have are caused by rain and excessive humidity, and this brings on grey mould, cause by botrytis fungus. Fungicides are never really an option I go for here, although if I did I would use eco fungicide. It is potassium bicarbonate, which is a food grade product and about as mild as it comes. Any mould stuff I have goes to oil for the missus skin cancers.

Strain selection and plant health are the most important factors in my opinion. The right strain with mould resistance and a flowering time late enough to miss the wet weather has been the most important to me. In regards to plant health, ease up on the ferts, lush growth looks great but at the expense of soft plant tissue. I prep beds and do very little until harvest, except foliar spray with various products and ALWAYS include neem oil, until after the first month of flowering.

Hope you all have bumper crops. Please put your own 5 bobs worth, the more knowledge the better.

LD:tiphat:

canna.ballistic

Luvaduck, a very timely post ... seems like it has been a tough year for bud rot. I generally agree with your strategies, but have a few extra comments.

I am in a coastal subtropical location, which is subject to both high humidity levels as well as extended periods of rainfall (as in nearly everyday for a number of weeks in a row) during summer and into autumn ... bud rot during flowering is also my main issue, powdery mildew not so much.

Prevention is easier than cure, although prevention itself is not always easy.

Healthy plants and healthy soils are a primary objective ... plenty of great info on ICMag to assist on these topics.

For my conditions, I have found the sativa-type strains with longer flowering periods (say 12 to 16 weeks) to generally be less affected with bud rot than the shorter flowering hybrids (i.e. 8 to 9 weeks). I believe this is primarily due to the weather cooling down and the humidity being lower during the latter stages of flowering when the buds are fattening up, and are most susceptible to bud rot. The 8 - 9 week plants finish up around the end of March, which coincides with wet, hot, humid conditions ... whereas the 12 to 16 week strains finish from the end of April through to the start of June, when there is less rain, less heat and less humidity.

I would guess this is similar for your tropical climate as well, although southern growers in the temperate zone with autumn and winter rainfall would probably benefit more from the shorter flowering strains.

The other challenge is finding good growing locations. The best place to grow a plant to minimise the potential for bud rot or powdery mildew is in the open on high ground where it can get lots of sun and air movement to quickly dry dew, rain, etc from the plant. However, this type of location is also the most likely to be found during the annual helicopter flyovers, and so has to be used very sparingly and carefully. The locations which are least likely to be detection are on the edges of / within forests, along gullies, etc, which are all subject to less sun, less air movement and higher moisture levels ... perfect for bud rot.

Unfortunately, living in the Nanny State of Oz, means I will keep growing my couple of plants each year in the bud rot areas, so as to avoid detection.

Dog Star

Veteran
Having almost always problems with clones since they are under a humid dome
and i forget to give them air more frequently and they develop those molds and
another funghal diseases.

But i solve everything with a Horstail tea,spraying 3 days in a row for best results.

Hurd also for one Australian plant,shoek i think its shes name helps in a same way
as Horstail for anti-funghal.

Here are few good advices.. http://www.livingforestfarm.com/treating-plants-natural-organic-remedies/

bambi

hi there; bud rot is a bummer yeah,
however i find some clone plants with big tops and very little leaf to bud ratio are less likely to mould as one with more leaf in its tops as this is where we 1st see it appearing right,

If a tiny or bud leaf pulls out of the bud with ease then id be worried & look further with a magnifing glass, if there one week away from being ready i pick that top asap & keep it out of a room or away from the crop,
outdoors its best to tunnel your way into high bush & dig out the middle for the plants, this way youve wind protection / people protection / critters like rabbits seem to eat whats growing through a thigh high fence we used to find, why they dont jump over it like a possum i dunno ?

I know a nice looking + fast blooming - 6.5 - 7 weeks in or outdoors handles 30 deg'c heat quite good for days on end, doesnt seem to mind the cold either & keeps its buds hard with a good high folks love in Nz thus far,
Im doing a final test trial soon if your keen for a look give us a bell , the plant is a Mikado polyhybrid with a stronger high & flavour is green onion & red rose & does have a reddish colour seen once dried,
Thing is i find most important is it can be harvested around April 7th instead of the 8 - 9 weekers taking as long as the end of may or early june when rain can ruin a crops tops.

youl figure something out, we usually find a way around things we love so much.

Brother Nature

I've always found topping your plants a few more times than you'd prefer can assist with mold issues outdoors as well. You'll reduce your final yield but much less than if they get moldy.

420bears

i found mould on one of my buds today i quckly stripped it all up cut out the mould and chucked it my buds are drying atm

ozzieAI

Veteran
every year i throw plants away due to mould...but living in the tropics it is to be expected during the wet season...i haven't found a strain that hasn't gone mouldy, from sativas, hybrids and indicas they all got it...

i have tried all sorts of sprays and chemicals but none has been successful unfortunately..

Dog Star

Veteran
You tried Australian shoek..?? its a plant that have same action like Horstail,same anti-funghal action.

You tried a baked soda spray few days in a row?

Not one funghal disease can grow if you exchange a PH surface,with this moves
you will not aloud good enviroment for funghal grow as they cant procreate on
this kind of surfaces that are pretreated in a dry days.

T

Teddybrae

Potash and Silicon

Potash and Silicon

Here's a new product from Nutri-Tech Solutions in SE queensland.

(top right hand of page) that's the prices pencilled in.

it's a blend of Potash and Silicon. the Silicon hardens cell walls to

reduce insect damage which is often where mould will start in yr

heads. that's the claim anyway ...

picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Good topic luva,

one im familiar with also ,
prevention as someone said is best ,
airflow etc ,

also dnt let any caterpillars chew them in flower , that will cause mold for sure ,
i spray with spinosad to avoid that , only takes 2 to 3 applications at most ,

and of course , select the best strain for your area ,

the most resistant variety i found to grow in the tropics so far was mango haze ,
bloody champion , and good pot too ,

im finding diesel does well too ,
just the way the flowers are ,
and the kind of resin ,, it doesnt get wet inside the buds much ,
and doesnt tend to rot ...

keep em as healthy and as happy as u can and they will resist problems ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hopefully wasnt a large amount worse ive thrown away was a ounce
i had to bubble 22 lbs of stuff that had mold issues ,
most likely threw away as much at the same time ,
if not more ,
that was not able to be saved ,

fairly sure that was the year i started getting serious about mold prevention .lol ..

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Use NLD varieties from the tropics or equator they have strong natural resistance or they would not be used long in humid areas.
WLD coming from Afghanistan have very little resistance, they did not need it.
Besides using a proper variety for your area the terpene profile also seem to matter, some terpenes help with resistance some seem to increase susceptibility.
Trial and error is they way to find out in your area.
I have grown Haze in my greenhouse surrounded by plants grown from imported seed from afghanistan, literally every afghan was affected while the Haze right next to them had zero problems.
This is one of the problems with Poly-Multi-Hybrids that have WLD lines in them.
Find a NLD that has no problems in your area.
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Caterpillar shit is also a common source of where mold starts.
An easy way to get all the turds off the plants is to tell employees that when the caterpillars eat the flowers the shit has as high THC levels as the best Hash, LOL....
-SamS

Good topic luva,

one im familiar with also ,
prevention as someone said is best ,
airflow etc ,

also dnt let any caterpillars chew them in flower , that will cause mold for sure ,
i spray with spinosad to avoid that , only takes 2 to 3 applications at most ,

and of course , select the best strain for your area ,

the most resistant variety i found to grow in the tropics so far was mango haze ,
bloody champion , and good pot too ,

im finding diesel does well too ,
just the way the flowers are ,
and the kind of resin ,, it doesnt get wet inside the buds much ,
and doesnt tend to rot ...

keep em as healthy and as happy as u can and they will resist problems ...

G

Gr33nSanta

Caterpillar shit is also a common source of where mold starts.
An easy way to get all the turds off the plants is to tell employees that when the caterpillars eat the flowers the shit has as high THC levels as the best Hash, LOL....
-SamS

I am always very careful with mold, of course there are mold that I might not be able to see under my digital magnifying toy, but anyway, as soon as I see any botrytis I am not greedy, I do not try to salvage the clean part of the flowers, they go in the trash.

Speaking of bug shit, I have been using predatory mites, and since I have been growing perpetually and have had pests for years, I use more than you average grower.

I am starting to worry about insect poop, I used to think I prefer to smoke insect poop (they eat plant matter...) over any type of pesticides...

However, I have been looking into it quite a bit more recently and mites poop can be potent allergens, ... is there something to worry about here Sam, can someone use too many hypoapsis miles, cucumeris, fallacis, persimillis?

Am I comprimising my own health and the health of my patients?

I am so lost, the more I know the more I feel like a shitty grower. I used to pride myself that none of my patients have ever inhaled any type of chemicals only to start paranoiing that insect shit might even be worst!?

SAM PLEASE share your thoughts. What about making water hash with material that has been more infested by pests/beneficial insects , does the water rinse away the poopy allergens?

THANKS

ozzieAI

Veteran
this is the last time i try and grow this time of year...mould is unstoppable where i grow...just need to be organised and have enough stash to get me through to june for my first harvest and aiming to get my last in by Oct and actually have a 'pot'holiday for a change...

i too chuck a heap away...not 22lb...but enough to make most grown men cry...

best strain i found is female seeds Pure AK...finishes early and whilst the breeder does not recommend outdoors it always gets mould last compared to every other strain i have had...i generally get 2 - 3 weeks more from PA...

i currently have a some early picked plants that i will turn into oil...

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Do you find the predatory mite shit in the flowers or just on the leaves? With dry sift they will be separated, the poop will not be collected with the resin heads because it is to big or to small, or is pushed through the screen.
I would rather smoke a little poop then pesticides, that is for sure.
If it causes allergenic reactions in a smoker then it is important to them at least. I do not know if this has ever happened. Maybe it needs to be studied by creating crops covered in poop from our favorite predators and having them smoke with careful testing of the subjects before and after.
I am not worried about poop that has never been shown to cause a problem vs poisons that are known to be a problem for humans.
-SamS

I am always very careful with mold, of course there are mold that I might not be able to see under my digital magnifying toy, but anyway, as soon as I see any botrytis I am not greedy, I do not try to salvage the clean part of the flowers, they go in the trash.

Speaking of bug shit, I have been using predatory mites, and since I have been growing perpetually and have had pests for years, I use more than you average grower.

I am starting to worry about insect poop, I used to think I prefer to smoke insect poop (they eat plant matter...) over any type of pesticides...

However, I have been looking into it quite a bit more recently and mites poop can be potent allergens, ... is there something to worry about here Sam, can someone use too many hypoapsis miles, cucumeris, fallacis, persimillis?

Am I comprimising my own health and the health of my patients?

I am so lost, the more I know the more I feel like a shitty grower. I used to pride myself that none of my patients have ever inhaled any type of chemicals only to start paranoiing that insect shit might even be worst!?

SAM PLEASE share your thoughts. What about making water hash with material that has been more infested by pests/beneficial insects , does the water rinse away the poopy allergens?

THANKS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Do you grow any NLD tropical or equatorial varieties? I suggest you can find one that works for you.
-SamS

this is the last time i try and grow this time of year...mould is unstoppable where i grow...just need to be organised and have enough stash to get me through to june for my first harvest and aiming to get my last in by Oct and actually have a 'pot'holiday for a change...

i too chuck a heap away...not 22lb...but enough to make most grown men cry...

best strain i found is female seeds Pure AK...finishes early and whilst the breeder does not recommend outdoors it always gets mould last compared to every other strain i have had...i generally get 2 - 3 weeks more from PA...

i currently have a some early picked plants that i will turn into oil...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
yep sams on it there ,
long season plants for you ozzie , hahaha ,
sort that stash man ...

hard to mess with the seasons too much ,
if your in a similar situ to me ,

have two sorts of seed ,
one that u can use in that dry season for a bit of stash ,
that can get you through till u put those longer season girls in ,
as sam said ,
better make them narrow leaf leaning at least for the mold resistance ,
steer clear of nl and skunk types ,
seems a lot of pretty good choices around these days for that long season ...